Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Newbie in need of advice

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie in need of advice

Hi, I am looking at placing an ad on the site as I am looking for a ffr to purchase, completely done, except maybe paint if the deal is right. I am happy for this to be a donor car build, if done properly. Based on what I have read, scouring the net, I should probably look for a car with, at least, a few thousand miles on it, so that I know the bugs have been worked out. Is this correct?

I have a few other questions, if you don't mind;

Since I am not a purist, I don't really care about which "version" I purchase, Mark 3, 4, 5 or whatever. Since I do not race, please tell me or sell me one way or the other on a newer version, or confirm that even the earliest ffr roadster is fine.

For what should I look to be sure this is a good car?

I feel like enough of these are hitting the sales block that I don't have to settle for a car that has been wrecked.

What should I make certain the car does or does not have?

I only want a stick shift, and I would like a/c but it is not a must.

How much for a hard top, if the car I find does not have one?

Forgive how lousily this has been written, but I just don't have time to fool with proofreading right now. By the way, I am located in Maryland and can buy something within a month or so for the right car. If anyone has something they are looking to sell in the tri-state area for a good deal, please let me know. I will keep your information confidential if you contact me directly. My cell is 443 975-8469. Thanks a lot. I appreciate your time and thoughts on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. You should be receiving many comments on your questions, just take the time to read each of them and then decide what YOU really want. I have a built a late production MKII and it works great for me. I would find a solid build (no matter what version) negotiate a price you want to spend and start driving.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple of random responses. Last version produced in Mk4. So you won't find any Mk5's. If someone is advertising they have one, you may want to look elsewhere. First on the list of importance is build quality. This is all over the map, at each end of the spectrum. Your best bet would be to have someone who is knowledgeable either inspect it for you, or accompany you if possible. Personally, IMO the newer the version the better, but there are plenty of older versions that are still fine cars. Few thousand miles is good. I don't know if that guarantees the bugs have been worked out, but it's a start. I would be specifically interested in where the engine and transmission came from. New? Used? Donor? If donor, how many miles and what's been done to it. For suspension, probably best to look for a 3-link or IRS. I would stay away from 4-link, especially donor 4-link. You aren't going to find many with A/C. It's not installed on many builds. If that's something you really want, you may need to make the best choice and then add it yourself. Tops come in multiple flavors, from $1500 to twice that. Good luck with your search.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.