Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tangen Fangs O Serpent bumpers

Post Thanks / Like

Tangent Fangs O the Serpent bumpers

This is a cross post of a thread on another forum. While I wouldn't normally do that, since Tangent is a vendor over here I'm hoping it will be OK.

I have been wanting a set of Tangent's Fangs O Serpent bumpers for quite some time, but they haven't been available. Due to the exceptionally high labor to make them there just wasn't any meat left on the bone for them. I begged and pleaded for the parts to weld my own and Eric decided to let me try a weld your own kit as a test. So here is how it went.

Kit arrived and this is what it contains. All the parts needed plus three jigs.

I take back everything I ever said about FFR's seat mount plate being a useless POS, it makes a fine mini welding table. Here are the side pieces ready to weld.

Starting at the front it gets tacked together. While a TIG would be nice, I practice the art of MIG + Grinder for similar results.

After the first five tacks, the back of the part is relocated in the jig and tacked some more.

The top piece gets tacked in.

Once all four are tacked, you will need to reform them to make sure that are all the same width. I used a wood clamp for a form block and widened all parts until the mount brackets set nicely inside.

Once all the parts are tacked and final formed, the seams are all stitch welded. After stitch welding, I turn the welder down low and run a bead over the top to build up some material.

Last edited by mikeinatlanta; 03-04-2015 at 03:13 PM.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mount brackets are tacked in place with about six welds per side. First four are tacked in the jig, then the part is removed and the rest of the welding completed.

Now the parts are sanded nice and smooth. If you messed up any welds, here is where you will get to practice some more.

All finished. It took them to the chrome shop and he tells me that since they look so good, he will only charge $500 to chrome them!!. Looks like they will get coated with the headers instead. Cost for ceramic will be about $50.

Here they are all mounted. Nice and subtle aren't they?

MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good work I like em. For $500 he can chrome something else. Nick C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, I routinely get items like that chromed for $25 a piece. You need to find another chrome shop. Parts look really nice!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    Mike, I routinely get items like that chromed for $25 a piece. You need to find another chrome shop. Parts look really nice!
    For that kind of money they would be worth shipping. Any references?