Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tile as Anti-Theft Device

Post Thanks / Like

Tile as Anti-Theft Device

Having a) spent 9 years getting my car on the road and b) seen that a very distinctive, custom-bodied Triumph TR-6 was recently stolen from the area, I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience with "Tile," the GPS tracking thingie which is apparently designed to allow you to find lost items like keys, purses, etc. with a smartphone. Could it be used to track a stolen car?

https://www.thetileapp.com/
    FFR Mk II 4437
    Finally on the road, 8/12! SVO Crate 302, IRS, EEC IV

Post Thanks / Like
    only effective on a car if it gains widespread use. the "tile" needs to be within 100 ft of a phone that has the tile app. works using bluetooth.

Put another way, the GPS in the tile only sends its location via bluetooth to a phone with the app and within 100 ft.

Post Thanks / Like
    there are lots of these personal tracker type items on the market. the only ones that are really going to be effective for a car are going to be the ones with monthly service fees (anywhere from $10 to $30 each month based on a quick search).

Here's a couple I found on Amazon with a quick search (note I've never used any of these, just trying to highlight the difference from the "Tile" which is more designed for things you might misplace around the house):
    http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-STI_GL...s_5811986011_1
    http://www.amazon.com/MasTrack-Vehic...501HK78JHJPTJK
    http://www.amazon.com/Real-Micro-GPS...s_5811986011_4

Post Thanks / Like
    Given the worst case situation, the tracker is going to need it's own transmitter than can communicate with the largest system available. That's OnStar level capability, it's a cell phone in it's own regard, and must have it's own power source. It also needs as much power as legally possible.

Doesn't seem to deter those who are shipping conex loads of cars overseas, tho. A by-car custom theft for export will usually have those with the expertise to locate and defeat a tracker.

If you have something nice and like showing it off, the worst place to do it is where you store it. Any friend of a friend would likely be that guy casing the setup and noting exactly how you defeat all the security. First rule of nice stuff is never show it off near your home. Might tick off the neighbors, but it's just common sense.

Ex.: a well off militaria collector with two Dobermans as yard dogs returned from an expedition collecting butterflies in Mexico. While there he used a beater 50's Chevy which went unmolested as he spent days in the bush. On return to his home he found two happy well fed Dobes and a house that had been casually shopped for hours overnight, with a car load of highly valuable items missing. The intruder quite apparently knew the location, had befriended the dogs, was familiar with the home layout, had an idea of which item was more valuable than another by the discards he left behind out of place, and is still living happily ever after 20 years later.

I'm sure the Triumphs new owner is, too. Americans with expensive possessions are unfortunately quite naïve about how they display them and store them.