Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: NH titling/registration questions????

Post Thanks / Like

NH titling/registration questions????

I just got off the phone with the NH DMV about titling/registering my newly built MK4 roadster. I have also read the "registering a custom/antique vehicle" on their website. I am still confused about a few things that I got different answers from different people at the DMV. Is there anyone who has gone through the process that could explain the process to me in more detail...I would greatly apprecite any info. Also, those of you who have already done so, what are your vehicles titled as? Please post up here or PM me if you're willing to talk on the phone. Thanks!!!

-Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Evan,
    It's been 17 years but here's what I remember. First you need the DMV to issue you a VIN. Back in '98 a State trooper actually came to my house. It had to be a completed running car. He checked receipts and serial numbers for the major parts (looking for stolen parts I believe) Once he is satisfied he gives you a VIN. I believe it is a "re-constrution" VIN but I'm not positive of that. Then you go to your town and register it like any other car. I titled and registered the car the year it was completed. I did not try any tricks like claiming it was a '65. They will need a value in order to know what to charge you for the town & state. Once that is done you are pretty much done. Inspection is another thing. It helps if you go to a garage that understands these cars. They will do the usual safety inspection but will be understanding about some things like backup lights and defrosters. Emissions is the one thing I know nothing about. '98 and newer cars were supposed to be OBD2 which my car is not. After much talking on the phone with Concord my car is now emissions exempt.

I hope that helps a little.

3. Thanks Shtbxr thanked for this post