FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bob k

Post Thanks / Like

Bob k

Have dreamed of building a Cobra since visiting Whitby Motors in Greensboro, NC -10 or more years ago. Jeff Collins and crew are great guys. Need help finding a donor car, budget $3000. Great to be on board. Not a real tech guy, feeling my way here.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Bob,

Are you going to build a roadster? I'm assuming so since Whitby would have been the place to see one. Also the 3k sounds like a Mustang donor.

Just my personal experience but you should think twice about a donor build. I went that route and ended up not using most of the donor components. It isn't that they were unusable but after some more research, it was better to upgrade to parts that would better serve my purposes. So you could say I wasted some money on the donor pallet from a salvage yard here in AZ. I did learn a lot about Mustangs in the process however. My best advise (if you are going the donor route) is to be very discriminating about your donor choices. I like to call it "cherry picking". It is possible to get very nice components used that work as well as new. My T-5 and dff are good examples. You just have to filter the buys and evaluate the condition as you go. So long story short: I have 2000 GT spindles, brakes, rotors, calipers, etc in front, 95 Cobra diff, 92 T-5, gas tank, and power rack. There are a few components that I used with the new engine such as bell housing. I think you can still find reasonably good parts when you are careful. However, the chances of finding a complete donor that you can use without considerable reconditioning are becoming slim to none depending where you are. The other way to go which is more and more popular is the complete kit. I've heard from several builders, it is a good value. Which ever way you choose, you should do well as the FFR is a great project. Even the basic kit is still a great value in today's market. Hope you find the best pathway for your needs and experience.

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum Bob.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. I to started with a donor.It was a 1992 V8 LX.One side was damaged from a guard rail.I used the spindles,trans,motor,wiring harness,rearend,steering parts,gas tank,peddles.I sold off the rest of the parts . It ended up costing me $300 for the parts.That left me with more money to get some of the extras when I ordered the kit.Every winter I add something new to the car. I don't think I'll ever be done with the mods to it, but that's the part I enjoy. Good luck Roger