BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New TKO 600 Leaking!

Post Thanks / Like

New TKO 600 Leaking!

Well I though buying new would give me a few years of running without issues. 150 miles into it and I'm scratching my head.

My new Tremec TKO 600 (purchased new in late 2012) is leaking from somewhere. She has been on the track a few times now (not-street legal) and after a 20 minute session, she starts dripping at the transmission seams, so much that it as created a coating on the rear diff and gas tank. There have been no "incidents" with the car as she is still being broken-in.

I have checked the following and there are no indications of leakage:
    Top caps
    Shifter cap
    Top Breathing valve (not stuck either)
    Speedometer plug
    Drain/Fill plugs
    Reverse sensor plugs
    Rear drive seal

I'm at a loss here. Any ideas? Anyone have a similar issue? Any known problems with the TKO's of that year?
    I put the engine/trans in together as a unit.
    Before I even thing about yanking the engine, has anyone tried pulling the trans out WITHOUT removing the engine? Is there clearance?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks more like motor oil to me.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its leaking between the two main sections, that's the same place mine was leaking. I looked on line and it happens a lot. After that and some hard times trying to down shift into second, I got rid of it and traded it in for one of Gordon Levy's T5 Super Alloy. I never want to see a TKO600 again. It seems to be hit and miss. My friend has a TKO600 and has had no problems, but it seems that there is a 30% chance that you are going to get a bad one right out of the box.
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Strom,

Finding the source of oil leaks can be a real challenge and the source may not be the trans (the color does not look like trans fluid). I suggest wiping all surfaces clean and use clean shop towels (paper towel will be fine) with plastic ties to attach the clean shop towels to suspected leak sources. Once attached, take the car for a short run - you will be able to find the source in short order.

Note: the oil leak is usually located forward of the location where the oil is found (unless it is a serious leak). If you over filled the trans, this could cause the leak from the trans (?)

Also, Yes - I pulled my trans (TKO 600) from the engine without removing the engine. I had to remove the engine/frame mount bolts and raise the engine a little to allow the trans end to drop slightly to allow the space (angle)needed to remove the trans. This would be the last resort though. You need to identify the source of the leak before you can resolve the problem.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by StromSpeed View Post
    Well I though buying new would give me a few years of running without issues. 150 miles into it and I'm scratching my head.

My new Tremec TKO 600 (purchased new in late 2012) is leaking from somewhere. She has been on the track a few times now (not-street legal) and after a 20 minute session, she starts dripping at the transmission seams, so much that it as created a coating on the rear diff and gas tank. There have been no "incidents" with the car as she is still being broken-in.

I have checked the following and there are no indications of leakage:
    Top caps
    Shifter cap
    Top Breathing valve (not stuck either)
    Speedometer plug
    Drain/Fill plugs
    Reverse sensor plugs
    Rear drive seal

I'm at a loss here. Any ideas? Anyone have a similar issue? Any known problems with the TKO's of that year?
    I put the engine/trans in together as a unit.
    Before I even thing about yanking the engine, has anyone tried pulling the trans out WITHOUT removing the engine? Is there clearance?
    Last edited by Jester; 03-08-2015 at 12:35 PM.
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Post Thanks / Like
    I would wipe it all down and add a dye to the engine oil (they make dye specifically for this) and see if it is coming from the engine. If not, do the same with the transmission. You should be able to locate the leak pretty easily this way. You do need a black light to see the dye though, so you might have to dig through all of your stuff in the attic/ basement to find one.....lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Strom,

Finding the source of oil leaks can be a real challenge and the source may not be the trans (the color does not look like trans fluid). I suggest wiping all surfaces clean and use clean shop towels (paper towel will be fine) with plastic ties to attach the clean shop towels to suspected leak sources. Once attached, take the car for a short run - you will be able to find the source in short order.

Note: the oil leak is usually located forward of the location where the oil is found (unless it is a serious leak). If you over filled the trans, this could cause the leak from the trans (?)

Also, Yes - I pulled my trans (TKO 600) from the engine without removing the engine. I had to remove the engine/frame mount bolts and raise the engine a little to allow the trans end to drop slightly to allow the space (angle)needed to remove the trans. This would be the last resort though. You need to identify the source of the leak before you can resolve the problem.

Good luck.
    Jester, Thanks for the info! Yes, I had an early oil leak from a previous problem (oil out the breathers due to high G turns), but this has been resolved and lead to the darker shade on the trans as it was covering there too. Since the engine issue was located, sealed, and chassis cleaned, the current drips of fluid are the color of trans fluid. And its starts right AFTER the bellhousing and is coating the entire underside of the trans.
    Given the racing duty, I should just pull it all to be sure. I don't want a catastrophe on-track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scud67 View Post
    I would wipe it all down and add a dye to the engine oil (they make dye specifically for this) and see if it is coming from the engine. If not, do the same with the transmission. You should be able to locate the leak pretty easily this way. You do need a black light to see the dye though, so you might have to dig through all of your stuff in the attic/ basement to find one.....lol.
    I like that idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyWinner View Post
    I think its leaking between the two main sections, that's the same place mine was leaking. I looked on line and it happens a lot. After that and some hard times trying to down shift into second, I got rid of it and traded it in for one of Gordon Levy's T5 Super Alloy. I never want to see a TKO600 again. It seems to be hit and miss. My friend has a TKO600 and has had no problems, but it seems that there is a 30% chance that you are going to get a bad one right out of the box.
    Yes, I'm thinking its leaking there too! Looks like a lot of problems with this "bulletproof" trans! LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StromSpeed View Post
    Looks like a lot of problems with this "bulletproof" trans! LOL!
    Any chance you are over-filled? There is a vent on top. I have heard of some people filling them from the top.

I have not seen many threads about TKO-600 issues. Certainly not 30% of them have issues or it would be well known around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine leaked at the same location as yours. After pulling the transmission and getting it back to Modern Driveline, where it was purchased, I was told there wasn't enough anaerobic sealant between the main case and the tail case. It is back in the car and no leaks so far. I only have 100 miles on it since reinstalling it.

I did pull the TKO out with the engine in place. It required pulling the shifter assembly and then dropping the bell housing at the same time the trans is coming out. It seemed absolutely horrible at the time, but looking back on it it wasn't that bad. If I have to pull the trans again, I will do it the same way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by late apex View Post
    Mine leaked at the same location as yours. After pulling the transmission and getting it back to Modern Driveline, where it was purchased, I was told there wasn't enough anaerobic sealant between the main case and the tail case. It is back in the car and no leaks so far. I only have 100 miles on it since reinstalling it.

I did pull the TKO out with the engine in place. It required pulling the shifter assembly and then dropping the bell housing at the same time the trans is coming out. It seemed absolutely horrible at the time, but looking back on it it wasn't that bad. If I have to pull the trans again, I will do it the same way.
    Thanks for this info! After draining the fluid and comparing, the cleanest fluid is actually coming from those 2 places as well. I noticed I lost 1/2 quart if trans fluid over 3 track sessions, from what I fill it with so it is confirmed its the transmission leaking.

And thanks on the engine in place info. I was hoping not to undo all the time spent getting the engine and everything ELSE leak free. I'll try that method as well to get this to my local shop for a "seal-overhaul" at 150 miles! I guess we were the unlucky ones with this amazing robust trans. Amazing how much work a little missing sealer will do on a brand new trans; looks like the Tremec Mexico plant needs to spend a little more $$$ on some sealer per trans. Too bad I'm past my 90 day warranty!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Any chance you are over-filled? There is a vent on top. I have heard of some people filling them from the top.

I have not seen many threads about TKO-600 issues. Certainly not 30% of them have issues or it would be well known around here.
    The vent was all clean as well as the access caps. After draining the fluid, I confirmed I was missing 1/2 quart so its for sure the trans. I fill from the fill port so that once its starts to dribble out, its full and its also the same quantity per spec at 2.7 quarts.

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE: I pulled the trans out and I think I found the main leak: whatever this center disk is. You can see it even when tilted. This sits right under the input shaft.
    Also think its at the casing too.
    Off to get re-sealed.
    IMG_6827.JPG
    Last edited by StromSpeed; 03-15-2015 at 11:57 PM. Reason: wordsmith