Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The build is picking up some speed

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
    Hugo,

Can I ask how much they charge to retro-fit the indicators? I also would like to do it.
    In fact, I'm thinking about using their 4-in-1 4" gauge to display engine temp, oil pressure, gas level, and alternator voltage, rather than use the three smaller gauges FFR provides. The three 4" gauges sit in a nice arc on the dash face.

Also, I'm going to be in PR week of Thanksgiving. Probably a long drive, but I'd love to see your build!

-Michael
    Michael,

The retrofit costs $40 plus shipping charges. I also looked at the 4-in1 gauge it looks cool. I liked better the the speedo that has another gauge inside. I like the layout in it.

You are more than welcome to drop by during your visit. What part of PR will you be visiting? I'm located at the south west corner of the island. PM me when the date comes I will send you my contact info and address.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LS MAN View Post
    Hey Kempo, great build - coming along awesome.
    You might want to put some kind of covering over that cable extension bar from the starter, as it has a lot of exposed area - could drop a wrench or something down there & it would make a mess, maybe even burn a hole in the header.
    A lot of heat there so something high temp.

Keep up the good work.

Another option would be to install a remote starter solenoid, (old Ford type system) Actually you could put it where your rear cable junction is.
    The idea behind it is you run the positive cable to the remote solenoid, & the output cable goes to the starter. The benefit of this is the main cable to the starter is only powered when starting, other times it is dead, no chance of shorting out.
    You would need to run the solenoid engagement wire from the ISIS to the remote solenoid, and also make a small jumper from the main cable post on the starter to the solenoid on the starter. When the remote solenoid is energized it would feed power to the starter cable post & solenoid together.
    Ford made a flat style solenoid that would work great.

NAPA Part # MPE ST404SB
    Thanks for the nice comments Ted. I'm planning on wrapping the complete stater with a thermal blanket to protect it from the heat from the header and to act as insulation for the whole thing and prevent something from shorting out that cable. But your Ford solenoid idea is excellent. I might just do that. That would also solve the problem I have at the moment with the signal cable. I haven't been able to find the connector for it that is why it temporary has the spade connector on it. Thanks for the suggestion.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My target was Sunday but I was able to accomplish everything needed for the start up today.The exhausts look like the aftermarket ones used on some diesel trucks. LOL Was the fastest way I could come up to protect the chassis from the exhaust. My wife says is too loud. To me it isn't, maybe because of how bad I have wanted to hear it run in the past few months.

Had a small coolant leak during fill up. Being the genius that I am it turns out I forgot to install the o-ring in the thermostat housing. Other than that everything worked flawlessly.

I also received today my Vraptorspeedwork.com wing mount back from anodizing.

Last edited by Kempo; 10-01-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: add pictures
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    They keypad is louder than the motor, no worries!

1-1-1-1-1-1

Where did you say you lived again?

Awesome progress, you must be itching to kart that thing down the road.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 00SS_M6LS1 View Post
    1-1-1-1-1-1

Where did you say you lived again?

Awesome progress, you must be itching to kart that thing down the road.
    LOL!!! I live about 2000 miles away from you in a small island in the caribbean. That pass code is the ISIS default. It will soon be changed.

I can't wait to have my transaxle to start karting this thing. I plan on putting at least 30 miles on it before installing the body to be sure there aren't any other bloopers on my work.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    H,
    Congrats. Feels good doesn't it?

Your's is now the second GTM start I've had the pleasure to view where there is not a transaxle attached. Cool stuff.

I've been around the other forum since March of 10 and I have to say that your build has been the smoothest (can't think of a better word) in progess I've seen. Seems the box delay has not caused you any or very litte schedule interuption. I can see you being done shortly after you install your box. Good stuff.

How's the paint coming?
    Last edited by VD2021; 10-04-2011 at 12:31 PM.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    H,
    Congrats. Feels good doesn't it?

Your's is not the second GTM start I've had the pleasure to view where there is not an transaxle attached. Cool stuff.

I've been around the other forum since March of 10 and I have to say that your build has been has the smoothest (can't think of a better word) in progess I've seen. Seems the box delay has not caused you any or very litte schedule interuption. I can see you being done shortly after you install your box. Good stuff.

How's the paint coming?
    I have to admit that it really felt good to hear that thing rumble after slowly and with as much detail as possible installing everything around it.
    The transaxle hasn't really slowed me down so far. What really did slowed me down was the chassis harness that I ordered from SSP wiring that was never shipped after 6 months waiting for it. In the end I'm happy as I can be with the ISIS system I installed.

The paint job and prep has been slowed down in the past two weeks. Wally my friend doing the body has been sick. He has been having some abdominal pains and it appears to be the gallbladder. They are running some more tests but he might need surgery for it so that will delay his work.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Kempo;
    Did you finish up the canton tank install yet? Just curious if you installed the 4 port HCV with the system or did you go with the expansion tank and the typical set up from vintage air?

I ran into the same problem with the gas pedal. Thanks for the heads up, your pictures are clear on how to fix.
    Team Bouffard
    GenII #369 - SOLD
    1968 Camaro - work in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RF RIDER View Post
    Kempo;
    Did you finish up the canton tank install yet? Just curious if you installed the 4 port HCV with the system or did you go with the expansion tank and the typical set up from vintage air?

I ran into the same problem with the gas pedal. Thanks for the heads up, your pictures are clear on how to fix.
    RF,

I did finish the expansion tank install. But, my hoses run from the water pump to the tank and back. Due to my location heater is never need so I decided not to run those hoses thru the tunnel and avoid the extra heat and possible failure points for something that will never be used.
    Last edited by Kempo; 10-04-2011 at 09:13 PM.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been working some more on the wiring. Ordered a Delphi GT connectors kit and i'm adding this connectors to the different ISIS output wires. My plan here is to make a nose wiring harness that I will be able to separate from the ISIS harness. This way if I need to remove the nose of the car I will be able to just remove that connector and take away the nose with its harness on it instead of having to remove the connector on each lamp. I will do the same in the rear.

You can see the connector here in front of the horn.

Still need to route and cover some of the front cell wiring. The horns also got their own separate connector.

GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great idea. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice work. If I can get the imi starter hocked up I think I will try to start no 284.
    Thanks for the help
    Leonard

Post Thanks / Like
    I have already posted this on the compressor oil thread but I want to post it here too as reference for future builders that might have the same issue I had forgotten/not knowing that the A/C compressor comes with no oil, compressor connector clearance and engine serial number location. Sorry for the double post.

I removed the compressor last night and took it to the shop of a friend to add the required amount of oil. I always like to see the positive side of things, even in situations like this one where I forgot to add the oil before the install. I had to pull the compressor to add the oil but the good thing was that I was able to read the serial number of the engine which is hidden behind the compressor. I will need that number when the time to register the car arrives. I was also able to solve another problem I had. The connector on the compressor is located at about 8 o'clock on the stock C5 compressor. This created a clearance issue with the chassis. As soon as the engine would have moved on hard acceleration or deceleration it would have broken that connector from the compressor clutch. I had even marked the chassis to modify it to gain some clearance. After pulling the compressor I noticed that there is another notch at about 2 o'clock on it that can accommodate the clutch connector. So, I asked my friend to pull out the clutch and relocate the connector in that notch. No more clearance issue there.

Before moving the clutch,

After relocating the connector

Last edited by Kempo; 05-16-2012 at 10:09 PM.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    I received my tach back with the signal and high beam indicators installed. Here are some pictures with them off and on.

Off

High beam and LH indicators ON
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the gauges and your build overall. Well done! We have a house in Aguadilla. I will be sure to pm you when I go back. This will be the coolest car on the island.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stage7 View Post
    I love the gauges and your build overall. Well done! We have a house in Aguadilla. I will be sure to pm you when I go back. This will be the coolest car on the island.
    Thanks for the compliment Stage. I'm located about 30-40 minutes away from Aguadilla. Please do PM me the next time you fly out here.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    What brake calipers are these , from the corvette?

Post Thanks / Like

Brakes

What brake calipers are these , they look great

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cpe200 View Post
    what brake calipers are these , from the corvette?
    test

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CPE200 View Post
    What brake calipers are these , from the corvette?
    They are from the Corvette C6. The gray color and lack of lettering is because they are from the grand sport C6.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kempo View Post
    they are from the corvette c6. The gray color and lack of lettering is because they are from the grand sport c6.
    many thanks for the info , great job you are doing on this car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Some more work has been made on the body. Hopefully it will have primer early next week before Wally's surgery to remove his gallbladder on Thursday.

I will be going to SEMA this year so let's see what improvements ideas I can "steal" from Gary's and FFR's both car.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    HI Kempo

A question on the Expansion thanks .... to where it feeds the pipe on the engine ?, as the one in front was removed that feed the radiator.

Thanks ........Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    I installed my clutch and flywheel this Sunday.

The twin discs aligned

My coolant header tank also came back from anodizing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crossover tubes can be purchased from the factory, but they are expensive.

Item # 12602548
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished the cooling fans harness and relays set up on Sunday. Next will be the wiring on the gauges.

Fan harness

Harness connector

Relays
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    More progress has been done with the body. Wally is back form his surgery and back to speed. Some more filler was applied to the body and the the primer went on.

Wally working his magic

After that the primer went on. It now looks closer to what the final color will be.

Last edited by Kempo; 12-03-2011 at 09:27 PM.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hugo,

It looks great in primer! Another big step checked off. Congrats. Looking forward to meeting you and seeing it in person in a few weeks.

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    More progress has been made on the body. It is now ready to sand the primer. I want to install the body in the chassis one last time before sanding the primer and doing the base coat. as the saying goes "measure twice cut once" It now looks like a zebra.

Last edited by Kempo; 12-07-2011 at 02:15 PM.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    looks beutiful, I'm sure your getting pumped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    looks beutiful, I'm sure your getting pumped.
    Thanks fast. Yes I am. it looks so good in just white primer that I cant imagine how good it will look with the clear coat on it.

I was finally able to add more pictures on my previous post.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    The hatch is almost ready for final primer sanding as well.

GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good buddy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    Looking good buddy!
    Thanks Jim.

I decided to paint the visible underside of the body with the same liner material used on the aluminum panels. In preparation for this Wally covered the primed body and made a "paint cabin" in my garage to protect the floor and walls. That stuff travels a lot after it leaves the paint gun.

Last edited by Kempo; 12-09-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    As Rum Runner had warned me during his visit one of the most frustrating parts of the build is getting the A/C hoses installed on the evaporator unit. its amazing how something that looks so easy can take so much time. The space for them is very limited. Had to leave one for tomorrow or I would have risked ripping them all off.

GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    H,
    You're all almost there. You could take care of the rear inner fenders and hood while you're at it. Both should have some protection from debris.
    Last edited by VD2021; 12-11-2011 at 04:34 AM.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    As Rum Runner had warned me during his visit one of the most frustrating parts of the build is getting the A/C hoses installed on the evaporator unit. its amazing how something that looks so easy can take so much time. The space for them is very limited. Had to leave one for tomorrow or I would have risked ripping them all off.
    H,

Like I said - frustrating. It's surprising how many folks get three of the four hoses connected and then have to walk away. Welcome to the club!

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
    H,

Like I said - frustrating. It's surprising how many folks get three of the four hoses connected and then have to walk away. Welcome to the club!

-Michael
    Yeah. Three was all I could stand in one day. If I had known how much of a pain it was going to be I would have surely put them on when I could still move the unit and dealt with the hoses being there from that point on.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Good work and progress, as usual! Where did you get the carbon fiber hood inserts?

Thanks...Karl
    GTM #362

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kaloper View Post
    Good work and progress, as usual! Where did you get the carbon fiber hood inserts?

Thanks...Karl
    GTM #362
    Thanks Karl. PM sent about the inserts.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    The under side of the body is done and some more panels got coated.

GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast