Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mold release damage - matching Red paint

Post Thanks / Like

Mold release damage - matching Red paint

I'm generally happy with the quality of the gel coat since I will eventually be painting the car, but wondering if anyone has matched up the Red paint yet. As I've been pulling off the tape, I'm finding that my corners are pretty beat up (and someone obviously recognized this from the factory as well since they "painted" over the beat up areas. I think it's repairable if I were going to stay in the gel coat permanently, so I'm not complaining, just looking for a temporary solution until I paint.

Wide angle

Bumper - in general pretty darn good

Corners - not so much

Please don't turn this thread into a bunch of complaining. Looking for solutions (ie, HSRF + abc car paint code 1234 touch up paint).

Post Thanks / Like
    Since FFR had a gelcoat repair kit for the white, I'd hope they have one for the red also. Then you can fill & "paint" in one go?
    -Andrew

Building 818S/R #297 with Tamra
    08 Mazdaspeed3 | '12 F800R | '97 Miata

Post Thanks / Like
    I would ask FFR for a paint color code. Surely the color is a standard gel-coat red and they may have already had it matched for something standard, like a urethane, enamel or lacquer. With that code you can probably get it matched or crossed over to whatever you want to use. Worse case, take a piece of the body to an automotive paint supply house and let them color-match it. Main thing is to deal with a commercial, automotive paint supply house.
    Sorry if you already know all this. I was in the prototyping biz and dealt with Sherwin-Williams and at one time was right next door to a auto paint supplier who was part of the biggest chain in Dallas. They mixed lots of stuff for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    i dug deep into the memory bank and remembered factory five did a "cheap" paint job on a mk4 way back in the day. Supposedly they didn't have a paint code, but used a spray on gel coat from NAPA that matched up well. I'm going to assume they are using the same red gel coat on the 818, so I'll swing by NAPA at some point and see how it works out. (I did go through the effort of googling and then digging way into the FFR facebook posts - it was posted July 12, 2011 for anybody wanting to see the results)

Post Thanks / Like
    Any luck finding the color?

Post Thanks / Like
    Napa guy looked at me like I was crazy (kind of a terrible napa by my office) and I got busy with making it drivable and lost interest in repairing for the time being. It's on the winter project list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well if I get there before you and find out, I will post what I find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto on the ask FFR for a gel coat repair kit. I was lucky, white is pretty easy to color match
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb75 View Post
    Ditto on the ask FFR for a gel coat repair kit. I was lucky, white is pretty easy to color match
    Yup, got that already. I still would like paint for some spots.