Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets liven up the coupe forum

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Lets liven up the coupe forum

OK guys, I'm guilty as well, I first check out the other forum and then come here, old habits die hard, I hope to see this forum become # 1 as time passes. I noticed the registered numbers are growing but there is not much activity here and I hope we can change that,

What is most required is that the new members here on this forum post, let us know your here. This is a big family and we are here to help so please join in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think in time this will be THE place. I wish I had progress to share other than the fact that I just moved 321 from one spot in the shop to another and removed the rear glass for shipment back to FFR. Tonight's effort pretty much just doubled the time I've got invested in the coupe. No pictures but it really did happen.

Kerry P.

Post Thanks / Like
    You both have a bunch more posts than I do, so don't feel too guilty! I tend to update my build blog once per week rather than post an update on either forum. I'm fitting the second exhaust pipe today, then the rear plexi, mirrors, and wipers. At that point I'm ready to pull exterior items back off and start the body work. It'll be my first time doing bodywork and paint. I'm hoping to be painted and on the road in time for my birthday in September.

I did take it out for a quick blast on Easter, though without a windshield it's a little breezy.
    Coupe #497 delivered 7/29/10. Engine in on 10/1/10. Pushcart on 10/4/10. First start on 12/01/10. First go-cart on 12/31/10. Finished and on the road as of February 2012.
    Coupe Body Buck Plans - My Spray Booth - Painting Lessons Learned
    Build site: www.bamacoupe.blogspot.com
    Lots of build photos and some observations: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53614858@N05/

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im going to the garage and drive it now!!!!!!!!!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just to update you guys on my progress, lately there hasn't been any! I had my right knee replaced on the 8th of April, and I'm scheduled to have the left one replaced as soon as the right one is 100%. It's put a damper on things a bit, but in the end, I'll be able to go out to the garage and actually be able to work on the Coupe, instead of just being able to sit there because of the pain in both knees. I will now become a "Kit Person" in the truest sense, LOL!!

I did run down to Laguna Seca yesterday (My wife drove the cripple down, She's a sport) to meet up with the Spec Racers that were there, to drop off some spares for the group, I really had a good time, and can't wait to get back to finishing my Coupe.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Hank, glad to hear your healing, we have miised hearing from you.

Darkpt, cool vid, sorta like being on a BIG bike at that point! :-)
    Last edited by Russ Thompson; 05-01-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I googled "flat black daytona coupe" yesterday and found this. I was at the Irvine Cars and Coffee a couple of months ago when these pics were taken.
    Looks like a lot of people don't like my wheels

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011...s-mad-max.aspx

Never mind. Pasting the URL doesn't seem to work...
    Last edited by MichaelW; 05-01-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good Morning from the paddock at Laguna Seca....It was great to see Hank and his lovely wife yesterday, and to see Russ and so many Coupe/Forum guys last weekend at Huntington Beach.....I'll be posting all of our new Coupe developments here on this forum, and am excited to watch this place grow....Karen

#28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like

forums

Russ,

I have to say that it is my understanding that FFR wants to have more interaction with it's clients through this forum.
    I've contacted them through PM's and asked questions in threads. No usfull responses what so ever! I guess that does not help in tying people to visit here more often.
    I do check, but the traffic here is very light in comparison. I guess it's also a pain to post on both all the time. Most people check both and will see the same post twice,thus ignore it. I don't think there's anyone yet that is solely here.
    Don't get me wrong I think this has a lot off potential, but FFR needs to do their part to make it happen.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to worry, we can get you the info you need............
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran out of parts to put on mine today. 354 days after it arrived at my house I present Coupe #485.
    If in doubt......flat out-Colin McRae

Coupe #485

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Those white wheels really set the car apart, really looks outstanding TN. I even like that blue.

I think ffr is trying here, they have done a great job of keeping the front page current and I hope the effort can be matched in all tepartments.

I just want to do what I can to help the ffr family keep growing.

Karen , good to see you here and look forward to more of your great posts on what Thunder Valley Racing is up to.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, my! That is one stunning coupe!! I would like to correct one point in your post, TNcoupe ... you will NEVER run out of parts to put on your coupe! LOL! I'll hit 10,000 miles tomorrow in my coupe and I'm still adding/changing things. Better brakes are next.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    I already put Wilwoods on mine all the way around Gary. I have a dual pistons PBR setup for the front if you're interested in em. I'll let em go cheap.

Coupe #485

Post Thanks / Like
    TN.........dats a ting of beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like
    Working on donor parts! Cleaning up lower control arms now, hoping to order before years end

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TNcoupe View Post
    I already put Wilwoods on mine all the way around Gary. I have a dual pistons PBR setup for the front if you're interested in em. I'll let em go cheap.
    TN,

I'll probably go the Wilwood route as well, but thanks for the offer.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations TN!!!.....She's truly amazing, and a thing of beauty!!!!

K
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've been spending my time finishing the plugs and designs for the interior. The center console plug is complete. The dash design is mostly completed. I just finished the new door frames to mount the Ford Contour latch and door hardware. Currently working on the interior door panels. I have a lot of fiberglass work to do..

Type 65 Coupe Builder / Coupe Parts Vendor

Websites:
    myCoupe Build
    F5Registry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TNcoupe View Post
    I ran out of parts to put on mine today. 354 days after it arrived at my house I present Coupe #485.
    That is one awesome looking coupe. Great job!

Websites:
    myCoupe Build
    F5Registry

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks EVERYONE for the inspirational stuff. And thanks especially to Russ for a kick-start to this forum. It's overdue.

Kudos to all for their progress, completions, innovations and competitive spirit!

Hank: Yes, you've been notably absent but at least we now know why. Take heart...The knee thing is tough and replacements I can't imagine. I was down and out for some months last year after knee work but all is well and I just did a 20 mile hike on Saturday. A mini-triathlon is only a couple weeks away and a John Muir (California) trail trek (200 miles...YIKES!) with one of my sons is only a couple months away.

My current status: This month marks two years since I started my build. I work on it when I can but have been distracted by a lot of other activities. Anyway, I hope to have mine painted and streetable by September. That's a BIG hope.
    steve
    The Coupe Du Jour #443
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/38188992@N04/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    RonSchofield, very nice work!

What seats are those? Any fitment issues?
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron, your an ANIMAL! These coupes are breeding grounds for some inventive sorts! :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The seats are COBRA Daytona seats (how fitting). And there were fitment issues, but that never stopped me before. I had to make three changes to get these to fit. The first was to move the door brace.

I also had to cut out the fiberglass around the seat and redo the fiberglass.

I had to design and cut a new piece of aluminum to match the change in the brace.

It was a lot of work, but well worth it to get some seats into place that would fit the design that I wanted. One of the things that I also did was to buy some seat covering material from COBRA that matches the seat. This will be used for covering the interior door panels. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by RonSchofield; 05-02-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Websites:
    myCoupe Build
    F5Registry

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the compliments guys. One thing I did notice last night is a Kirkey seat isn't very comfy to sleep in.

Coupe #485

Post Thanks / Like
    As a new member, I'll try my best to liven up the Coupe forum. I've been reading this forum and the other one for a while and very much appreciate the sharing of knowledge that occurs. After much research (and saving), I picked up Coupe #522 from FFR a few weeks ago. It is a second generation IRS car with a bare chassis. The plan is to add Nascar-style "X" bars in the doors, as well as a cross-brace on the rear bars, with the goal of making the car legal under multiple sanctioning bodies' rules (and safer to crash). I also see a few areas on the chassis which might benefit from gussets. As soon as I can figure out how to post photos, I will share my thoughts on what I plan to do and solicit some feedback. Thanks again to everyone who has shared information here and helped to make buying a Coupe such an easy decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Jacob.....I'm from Pittsburgh too (North Hills), and it's great to see a Coupe being built there in the Steel City.

I may have some good very news for you...As you are likey aware, there's a growing number of Coupes being prepared for the track, and a group of us are working on specs for a race Coupe that include cage design, frame/chassis strengthening, and a power plant package that will produce competitve, yet relatively economical horsepower. In the long run, I'd like to see a group of us campaigning Coupes in wheel to wheel racing on track, as these cars were made to race.....Welcome to the madness....Hank will award your straightjacket in short order.

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard Jacob. I agree with Karen, the coupes really do look great out on the track so keep us posted on your progress.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jacob,

Welcome to the insanity, "Here's your Sign!"

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Jacob,

We're all here to help and be helped (in more ways then one)!

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope to liven up this forum a little bit with some design ideas, mostly add on ideas. I love this car!!!!!

riptide - if I ever get down your way or you ever come up to orlando with the coupe, I'll have to check yours out and maybe get a ride .

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thats great news. While I love all the FFR designs, the Coupe remains my favorite car. There is nothing as dramtic as seeing it go down the road. I got my old race car back from Ford Racing and now have thought about making some changes. I actually like the diffuser idea appreciate the energy.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    Thats great news. While I love all the FFR designs, the Coupe remains my favorite car. There is nothing as dramtic as seeing it go down the road. I got my old race car back from Ford Racing and now have thought about making some changes. I actually like the diffuser idea appreciate the energy.
    Thanks Dave , really enjoy trying out new ideas on the Coupe and the '33. One of these days I plan on working on a race body or alt body design for the GTM chassis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    The coupe is my favorite also, although I wanted to make a more modern and "steetable" version. It's four years in the works and I really wanted to get it finished so I can drive it down to the open house, but I am afraid it will have to wait until next year. Until then, you will have to live with a sneak peak of my coupe and just follow along with my blog until I get it completed.

I also have plans for a diffuser and will be making a plug and mold to go along with the tens of plugs and molds that I have done to make my coupe concept car a reality.

Dave,

Thanks for producing the coupe so that I can live the dream of building one of my favorite cars.

Websites:
    myCoupe Build
    F5Registry

Post Thanks / Like
    Whats "the other forum"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    The last 10 years have been tough and my coupe has only been pushed from one side of the shop to the other as I needed to get to other things. Sorry. Hank, I'm still in the competition for the longest builder!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't feel bad Platt, I've had this dream for the past 5 years and probably won't get to order and start on it for another good while till I get finances settled.

The time will come

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there folks. I am going on six years of building, having been slowed by a litany of life events and responsibilities (all positive, thankfully), choosing to allocate funds to other good things, and only purchasing parts with true disposable income (as opposed to incurring debt).

"I've had this dream for the past 5 years and probably won't get to order and start on it for another good while till I get finances settled." I've been in a comparable situation, where the only way to make forward progress was to either incur debt or pull money out of a retirement account, with a serious tax penalty. Both are bad ways to fund what is already a bad investment! You are doing the right thing by waiting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Going on 9 here I think.....

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast