FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Analysis paralysis...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Analysis paralysis...

I might have already mentioned this but I'm doing my 289 as a restomod. I am trying to duplicate what the car would have looked like if the second or third owner, maybe in the mid-70's, decided to "fix it up". I can't make a decision on my dash. The layout is 90% street and 10% homebuilt. I can't make a decision on the finish. Keeping in mind that my first choice is always carbon fiber, it wasn't available in the 70's. That leaves vinyl or wood, I guess, and I'm not a fan of wood (maybe because every one I've ever owned was cracked and peeling). I got the bright idea this morning to do the dash in wrinkle black powdercoat. How off the wall do you think that is? Don't hold back.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would look great. The wrinkle finish would be a good choice for the period you are aiming for.
    BTW, I have tried Eastwood wrinkle finish product with poor results. I am not sure who does this type of finish professionally.
    Good luck. I look forward to seeing your results.
    Bill

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't think so. I like the machine turn look. I think that would be something that some seventies hot rodder might use. It looked great on just about any sports car I've seen like the 53 Studebaker Commander, I think. It looks sort of aviation like, if that's your thing. I haven't seen the wrinkle look but maybe you could do a test piece and pic it.

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    For a '70's vibe, think about diamond pattern black vinyl. For the dash a smallish pattern would look good. To attach it to the hoop use decent size chrome phillips head screws. Don't even try to hide them they should be visible.

I would do the door panels in the same size/pattern as the dash and then the seats with a larger diamond pattern.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy668 View Post
    ...wrinkle black powdercoat. How off the wall do you think that is? Don't hold back.
    Not off the wall at all. You get a thumbs up from here!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Olli, check out the interior of my first MK2:

P1010006.jpg
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember that car. Obviously, you "got a guy". I would use a smaller diamond on the dash. 1" maybe... You also need to use a Sun "Monster" tach mounted large and proud. Or the Autometer version. Don't use any modern exposed wire loom on the wires. Friction tape would be my choice.

Or, again thinking '70's, a zolotone finish on the dash might look good. Powdercoating wasn't something available to the home builder in the '70's. It was more what was available at the local auto parts store, speed shop (remember those?) or hardware store. We learned about trends from monthly magazines that were already 3 months behind the trends.

Olli