Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Semi-serious self inflicted wheel screwup

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Semi-serious self inflicted wheel screwup

Back story: I bought a really nice set of 15", 30-spoke, old school wire wheels from a forum member. No problems with the wheels at all. They look great with the fat Mickey Thompsons I bought. The 10" rears were supposed to be 4" backspace, so I had the rear end narrowed 2.5" per side, and it looks like a 1" bolt-on spacer will make them perfect, so the real backspace is probably 4.5". No big deal. The fronts, however, are a different story. FFR wheels are 9" with a 6" backspace. My front wheels are 7" with a (allegedly) 4" backspace. So if the wheel is 2" narrower and and has 2" less backspace, the outside lip should be on the same plane for both wheels. Not quite. The fronts are sticking out about 1.5" too much, and I already have a slight negative camber. Will switching to pin-drive lower control arms and moving the upper control arm mounting to the horizontal holes give me the 1.5" I need?

Wheel fail.JPG

I have the newer style FFR 2-piece spindles which do not use adapters. Do I have to change both the spindles and lower control arms or can I change just the arms?
    Last edited by oldguy668; 03-22-2015 at 08:24 PM.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Pin drive width on the roadster requires the pin drive lowers, SN95 spindles and the unique PD spindle adapters. The UCA then gets mounted using the top (horizontal) holes. I think that due to the FIA's narrower track and wheels they use the PD lowers and FFR spindles mounted in the horizontal holes as you propose. Don't know if that would move you in enough or not. I'm sure a call to Jim S.would get you an answer.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Now that you mention the FIA having a narrower body, I may not have taken that into account when i did the math. My car is a hybrid with MK4 chassis and suspension with an FIA body.

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Whats to stop you from mounting the lower control arms you have into the inboard hole? I did this on one car I built for the same reason.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike, I need about 1.5" Will I get that with the inboard holes? And then mount the uppers on the top holes?

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how much it will gain you. Measure it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The second set of LCA mounting holes are ~ 3/4" farther inward.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe
    upper control arm in the inboard or top holes.
    Mk4 spindles
    And lower arms in the inboard holes
    Is a bad combo
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3/4" ain't going to cut it anyway. The thing will look half as goofy. I need a full 1.5" or better.

Mark Twain