Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body fitup questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Body fitup questions

A couple of things I need to clear up in my 68-year-old cobweb of a brain.

Here's a pic of the trunk opening. It looks like there's an extra lip that maybe FFR forgot to tell the robot to trim. Shall I cut off the entire lip at the orange line or leave a little by cutting at the silver line, which is basically in the radius?

Trunk Lip.JPG

The hood has a vertical flange all around the opening, but right where the opening crosses the driver footbox, there's a cutout that looks like it should provide clearance for the footbox top. It's a little out of position. Do I just extend the relief or cut the entire perimeter to make it uniform?

Hood lip.JPG
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe,
    I'm not sure where you're at in the trunk lip photo. Is this where the rear cowl behind the cockpit meets the front edge of the trunklid? I know your body is kind of unique (the car body; I'm not even going to begin to discuss YOUR body) but this is nothing at all like the Mk3 or 4 roadsters. As you know those turn down vertically from the cowl surface then back to horizontal and that's the lip that the trunk seal slides over. Yours seems to have an extra vertical and horizontal???

Yes, they have been relieving the vertical edge of the engine compartment lip over the footbox for the past couple of years (earlier Mk4s were not cut back). looks like yours might need to come a little farther forward to avoid contact with the footbox aluminum. A DA with a 60 or 80 disk will knock it down in no time.

Jeff

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    mine doesn't have that extra lip in the trunk
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll take a wider angle shot tomorrow. Thanks
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the roadster trunk opening flange:

Jeff