Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wilwood pedal box added clearance?

Post Thanks / Like

Wilwood pedal box added clearance?

Does anyone know if the wilwood pedals add any leg room? Pictures?

Post Thanks / Like
    Numbers? Where are the stock pedals supposed to end up, distance-wise, from the inside of the frame that forms the front bulkhead?

I am mounting a floor mount Tilton unit, which I think would be very problematic (if not impossible) for the normal rear LCA mount area.
    I am curious. I have just enough legroom, but I have no tank behind the seat. I might switch to a hung box if one could gain some space that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Wilwood pedal box installed with the FFR tank (I am 5' 8") After talking to Jim at FFR I did cut 1/2" off the rods and notched the Clutch pedal to gain more travel (it bottoms out) . Ended up moving the pedals forward 3.5" and have 5+" for travel.
    A few pedal box photo's can be found on my thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ct-has-arrived
    I will see if I can get a picture of the clutch pedal notch.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 03-23-2015 at 04:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    I have the Wilwood pedal box installed with the FFR tank (I am 5' 8") After talking to Jim at FFR I did cut 1/2" off the rods and notched the Clutch pedal to gain more travel (it bottoms out) . Ended up moving the pedals forward 3.5" and have 5+" for travel.
    A few pedal box photo's can be found on my thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ct-has-arrived
    I will see if I can get a picture of the clutch pedal notch.
    Thanks Mitch for the information. Do you have the inches from the chassis plane or the inches to the angled square beam that is in front of the seat?
    I only saw one photo in your build thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will get down to the shop tomorrow night and take some photo's and measurements for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Thank you very much. I will take some measurements of stock 06 wrx pedals as well for people's reference.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Wilwood pedals, but I test-fit the WRX pedals first. There is not really much difference in the fore/aft position between the two. In fact, going off memory, I think the Wilwoods actually give you slightly less legroom (but probably no more than about a half inch or so).

The Wilwoods are offset to the left more to clear the steering column, whereas the WRX brake pedal is bent around the steering column.

I completely cut out and restructured the entire area to move the Wilwood pedal box mount about 4 1/2" forward. I'm 6'3". In addition, I moved the pedals to the right and moved the steering column to the left so that the steering column is perfectly centered on the seat and runs between the clutch and brake pedals, which are also now centered relative to the seat. Lots of welding. You can see some pictures here:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post191782

The pedals on the Wilwood box can be moved forward a bit by cutting the pushrods on the MCs like Mitch described. However, you have the firewall as a permanent back-stop, and how much travel you need depends on the master cylinder diameter vs the brakes you're running. I have not installed my brakes or clutch line, so those are still unknown adjustment points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for info Zach.
    For reference, here is the stock pedal measurements.
    DSC04456.JPG
    DSC04457.JPG
    DSC04459.JPG
    DSC04460.JPG
    DSC04461.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be stopping by the shop this afternoon and will take the same measurement's you have and post.
    Both my Clutch and Brake pedals have 4.5" for travel to the firewall.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 03-24-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the way I have the Wilwood pedals set up in the FFR location the pedals have an inch more leg room.
    Pedal height is about the same, one advantage over the OE pedals is the pedal pad location has a range of adjustment up and down and side to side.
    Pedal Pic 1.JPGPedal pic2.JPGPedal pic5.JPGPedalpic3.JPGSeat pic4.JPG

I did tweak the throttle pedal over to the left about an inch+
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 03-24-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Mitch for taking the measurements that is very helpful

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an observation for people debating on going to the Wilwood pedals, or staying stock.
    I'm using the stock WRX pedals in my 818R. There is nothing at all wrong with OEM and they work perfectly fine as long as you mount the accelerator pedal differently (more bracing and with spacers to help heel/toe) than what the manual says.

I'm not knocking the Wilwoods at all, I just do not see a real need for them (purely personal opinion) after a few races. I planned on upgrading to them, but am perfectly happy with the OEM stuff. You guys did some great work installing them.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 03-25-2015 at 12:27 PM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)