FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Does the ECM need to breath or can it be sealed in a bag?

Post Thanks / Like

Does the ECM need to breath or can it be sealed in a bag?

I am buttoning up all my wiring and had a few question regarding the factory ECM. The main question is does the ECM need to breath or radiate heat? The ECM is mounted to the frame tying into the factory seat belt bracket on the passenger side and the frame so I can remove the upper firewall without having to deal with the wiring harness. I have an earlier kit that did not include the engine compartment fire wall and I had the engine in before deciding that it would have been nice to have some material there. I will be attempting to install material where I can (mainly to protect the ECM) but would like to put the ECM in a Ziploc bag with a zip tie at the end to keep any moisture/ debris away from the computer. Are there any issues with this?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be worried that -if moisture gets in- the ziploc bag will actually keep it in to do damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
    I'd be worried that -if moisture gets in- the ziploc bag will actually keep it in to do damage.
    Agreed. Moisture is a bigger concern than heat, although I wouldn't get too worried. Since you don't have the rear firewall I'd suggest a small box with a bit of breathing room to keep any real moisture from coming up out of the rear. There are epoxy type materials out there that can seal it from moisture as well.
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Good call. I will have to get creative and figure something out. Thank you for the input

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go this route, throw some of the anti-moisture "do not eat" silica packs in with your ECU.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits