FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is my Tremec TKO 500 Locked up?

Post Thanks / Like

Is my Tremec TKO 500 Locked up?

I have a question for you guys regarding my Tremec TKO500 Transmission. I just finished installing my engine/transmission and drive shaft. The trans is in neutral, but when I tried to move the rear wheels, it seems like it's in gear and doesn't move. I have not yet added fluid to the hydraulic clutch, so the clutch is not in working order. Tomorrow I plan on getting the hydraulic clutch bled and working. Is this normal or is there a problem with the trans being Locked up? The trans shaft did rotate before I bolted it to the bell housing. I'm just concerned that I could damage something when I start the engine for the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

If you ran the trans through the gears before adding fluid (which we all do), the shifter fork may have become misaligned with the sliders causing the trans to be in gear while the shifter is in the neutral position. This is an easy fix by removing the shifter plate and realigning the shifter sliders to the neutral position (you will need to use a slot screw driver to gently move the misaligned slider - this will be obvious once you remove the shifter plate) and reinstalling the shifter & plate (this is a really easy fix - 10 minutes). This happened to me (tko 600) and I called Tremec tech support and they walked me through the fix. You may want to call Tremec first to assist with the diagnoses before diving in.

Good luck
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Jester,

Thanks for the info. I removed the mid & rear plates from the top of the trans. The only thing that looked a little out adjustment was the center shaft. It hits the edge of the plate & not the middle. Take a look at the photos & see if you can see anything that is out of Wack.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

The first photo you posted is similar to another I found that is in neutral - so it looks like your shifter is not misaligned. See attached photo. TKO - sliders in neutral.jpg

You may want to bleed your hydraulic clutch first to insure proper actuation through peddle range.
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If the trans was shipped standing on end and in gear there is a chance that one of the syncro rings are stuck together. With the trans in neutral try turning the output shaft with a bit of force. If this is the problem the stuck syncro ring should pop loose. I had this problem with my trans even though it is a different brand the same issue can occur. My trans came with a tag attached explaining the problem and solution.

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,

I tried your suggestion and low and behold it worked. I applied a little more push to the rear tire and it broke free. Thanks so much! Now I can go ahead and bleed the hydraulic clutch and see if I can get that to work correctly.