Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jester's Mk4 - Ferrari Blue - some details & back storry

Post Thanks / Like

Jester's Mk4 - Ferrari Blue - some details & back storry

For those that are interested, I have had a number of inquires about the color of my Mk4. Thanks for the questions and comments.

I have asked my painter for the code but he has not provided it yet (I need to go to his place to get the codes). I have attached a few pics for reference (for those interested). Paint still needs to be cut & buffed (hopefully this summer). My painter painted a few test panels and he chose the white to best match the blue (it has a slight blue tint).

I think the color works very well with the body contours (there is a little pearl in the color so it changes slightly in direct vs darker lighting conditions).

Back story behind the color: My neighbor had a metallic blue-silver Ferrari but he moved (before I thought of building a FFR) so I did not think to ask for the color code. A number of years later when I went to my painter I had this color in the back of my mind (but no good pic’s to reference) and I spent hours going through the paint color books to get the color I was looking for. I was either going to find the blue-silver color that I was after or I was going to go with a metallic silver color. In the end it narrowed my choice down to 2 metallic blue colors and I made my choice. Believe it or not, I ended up choosing a metallic blue-silver that turned out to be by coincidence a Ferrari color (the other was a BMW blue). I think I nailed it. I had the painter paint both colors on a test panel and I chose the Ferrari blue. The painter did not agree with my color choice at the time but I over-ruled him. In the end my painter admitted that my choice was the better choice and he said the paint job and color was the best he ever painted.

Note: this is not an aggressive color but in my opinion it works very well on a 60’s roadster (a bit of a modern high end twist).
    MK4 - complete 2.jpgMK4 - complete 14.jpgMK4 - complete 11.jpg

Color on a roadster is very personal and has a significant impact on all builds. I highly recommend taking the time to carefully select a color that matches the vision in your minds eye that adds to the uniqueness of your roadster.

Thanks for the comments

Matt

Good luck
    Last edited by Jester; 03-28-2015 at 12:05 PM.
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like it alot !!!

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks great. You will will get a lot of compliments on the color (colour) and the car itself. I also like the story behind the selection.

Mike
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting Jester, its a nice colour. I ended up going with viking blue in the end (or a slight variant of it)