Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front Axle Nut

Post Thanks / Like

Front Axle Nut

I am working on the MKIV complete kit. Both front axle nuts screw on the spindles like butter until the end of the nut. They appear to be crimped at the end. Is this normal? I don't want to force on the spindle and perhaps cross thread.
    Thanks
    John Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John J Phillips View Post
    I am working on the MKIV complete kit. Both front axle nuts screw on the spindles like butter until the end of the nut. They appear to be crimped at the end. Is this normal? I don't want to force on the spindle and perhaps cross thread.
    Thanks
    John Phillips
    After asking several people - yes the axle nut is considered a locknut and is crimped at the end. Just torque it onto the spindle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John J Phillips View Post
    After asking several people - yes the axle nut is considered a locknut and is crimped at the end. Just torque it onto the spindle.
    On my 33 the spindle nuts that came with the kit were crimped too severely for the locking action and they were wiping off all the threads as they went. I saw this before I got
    too far on the first side so I checked the other side and it was doing it too. I thought it might be a bad batch of crimping so I bought the same part number locally and it did the
    same thing. I ended up throwing all those away and bought new spindle nuts from Ford that have a captured washer and use less severe locking crimps and they worked fine.

IF it ruins the threads don't "just torque it onto the spindle"
    HTH
    DB