Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Quaife differential

Post Thanks / Like

Quaife differential

Hi guys I installed my axles today and after they were in place I noticed this inconsistency between the sides. The drivers side seemed to plunk right in, and it sounded good going in. The passenger side fought me a little bit but getting the snap rings to compress as you push the CV in is some times tricky, any way it went in and I completed the assembly.
    Now I can move the passenger side in and out about 3/16" and the drivers side is basically locked in place. Has any body seen this? I am wondering if the passenger side snap ring popped out of the groove and is limiting the CV from going in all the way. Check out the pictures.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hers a follow up. I removed both sides and tested wth another inner CV joint. The differential is definately to the passenger side. However with the snap ring in the groove I had about .045" end play on both sides.
    Once the axels were reinstalled the end play was remeasured and consistent.
    The slinger is not dragging on the side bearing adjuster, or bottomed out on the seal.
    It still doesn't look right but maybe that's the characteristic of the Quaife differential. The position with the stock differential and the axels was not noted at the time of disassembly.
    All is good and we all can sleep better

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very strange. I just finished my axles the other day and have a Quaife in my transmission too. I should be installing the axles shortly. I'll let you know if it's different for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC7492 View Post
    Hers a follow up. I removed both sides and tested wth another inner CV joint. The differential is definately to the passenger side. However with the snap ring in the groove I had about .045" end play on both sides.
    Once the axels were reinstalled the end play was remeasured and consistent.
    The slinger is not dragging on the side bearing adjuster, or bottomed out on the seal.
    It still doesn't look right but maybe that's the characteristic of the Quaife differential. The position with the stock differential and the axels was not noted at the time of disassembly.
    All is good and we all can sleep better
    The diff has been installed on many 818's and subies so if it is installed correctly than your good.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    DMC7492, I just got my axles in and I have the same issue: The inner CV joint sticks out farther on the passenger's side than the driver's side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like it is a normal situation

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the seal seals against a long polished portion of the axle stub so there really shouldn't be any issue other than the dust shield being further away than ideal. Small price to pay for a limited slip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's some more info on the quaife install!
    Looks like we are all consistent.