Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side Scoop Louvers Now Available!

Post Thanks / Like

Side Scoop Louvers Now Available!

Fresh off the press.....so fresh I don't even have them posted on my website yet. These Side Scoop Louvers replace the restrictive mesh and open up a much larger area for fresh air to enter the engine bay. Not only that, but they help direct the air toward the engine bay for more effective cooling. Let's face it, there are not a whole lot of options available for getting fresh air into the engine bay to cool it down. The windshield creates a low-pressure area on the entire top surface of the engine bay, so the side scoops are about the only good path for cool air to get in. I have plenty of experience with the GTM to know how to cool down a mid-engine engine bay. It was a significant problem on the GTM, just as it is on the 818. A GTM set up with the FFR provided mesh installed in all of the openings as recommended would create an engine bay so hot that it would burn your fingers on the fiberglass hatch when you attempted to open it. The rear hatch glass would get so hot you could not keep your hand on it after a short drive. l learned how to eliminate these problems on the GTM, and those same solutions will generate the same results on the 818. And getting heat out of the engine bay will naturally create a cooler cockpit so you can enjoy driving instead of feeling like you're driving around in an oven.

I have a significant amount of work in the design of these louvers to get them to fit right, provide additional cooling air and also look good (hopefully you guys will agree?). I'm going to offer an introductory price of $99 per pair. These are shipped as flat aluminum parts that must be assembled and bonded together. They will also come with a cut template to use as a guide to make an accurate cut in the body so the louvers fit properly. You can place your orders by visiting my website and emailing me with your order. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC; 04-14-2015 at 11:53 AM.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I like them. They will be a great addition and they look like they will work with potential carbon fiber scoops being designed by others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    I like them. They will be a great addition and they look like they will work with potential carbon fiber scoops being designed by others.
    Shane, these look great, nice design, I assume these are aluminum ? I will definitely use these as the starting point to cool down the engine compartment. Now to get some louvers on the rear for more air flow !
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shane,
    Good job, the louvers look nice and at a decent price.
    What is the functional advantage over just an open cut out of the same size?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bob. The louvers are going to force the air up at a bit of an angle and direct it toward the engine bay. I assume the wheel-well area is similar to the GTM, in which there is an aluminum panel between the rear tire and the side scoop? If this is the case, air entering a big open hole is going to hit that aluminum and want to bounce back and swirl around and create turbulence behind the side scoop. These louvers should act a bit like the honeycomb inserts that can be found in things like Mass Airflow sensors....to straighten out the air for smoother airflow and less turbulence.

Appearance-wise, it also blocks your vision from seeing the chassis and other "stuff" in the engine bay behind the side scoop.....unless you kneel down and stick your head down there to look "up" thru the louver openings.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tony! I'll be working on louvers for the rear of the car shortly.....as that is the key to cooling! We can try to push all of this cool air into the engine bay, but it works a lot better if the hot air has a place to get out!!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing this is just for the aluminum parts shown in the photos. How do they attach to the body?
    Can you post a pic of just the part I will get when I buy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Those look nice. You're spot on about the fender liners being pretty much right behind the vent.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gwarden View Post
    I'm guessing this is just for the aluminum parts shown in the photos. How do they attach to the body?
    Can you post a pic of just the part I will get when I buy?
    Yes...each assy consists of 11 individual aluminum pieces that are slotted to fit together. I recommend 3M 8115 panelbonding adhesive to bond the parts together (creating a small "fillet weld" of the epoxy on the bottom and outside edges of the joints where it can't be seen from outside the car) and also the bond the louvers to the body. On GTM's we normally fit and assemble the louvers, cut the body opening, get a perfect fit between the louvers and body and bond the aluminum pieces together with the louver actually in position on the body (once it's all bonded together it is very, very rigid and can not be "adjusted" to fit). Once the louvers are a bonded assy and the body opening is cut and sanded to a perfect fit with the louvers, we send the louvers out to powdercoat and the body out to paint. On final assembly of the car, we sand the powdercoat off the portions of the louvers where they bond to the body and then bond the assy directly to the body with the same 8115 epoxy.

I'll try to get some pics of the individual parts posted yet this week.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking pieces! I like how from the side they look almost like gills or fish scales with an overlapping pattern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shane, I emailed you for an order of these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now we're talking!! Keep on coming with these solutions!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shane, I emailed you for an order of these.
    I don't believe I received an email from you? You may want to re-send or double check the email address. Thanks!!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    I don't believe I received an email from you? You may want to re-send or double check the email address. Thanks!!
    Sorry, I don't know what I did or didn't do. Probably forgot to hit send.

Anyway, money was sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Shane,

Just sent you an email. They look great.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! I'm tied up for a few hours this morning, but everyone who has sent me emails to order these, we'll be getting back to you with totals and payment info later this morning. Thanks!!!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post pics of the back so we can see them mounted and how assembly goes. Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a fan of adapting mods ect from other models in the FFR line. In another thread Scargo described his mod he's doing to the side scoops.

"Does this mean that all production cars and pure race cars with similar side vents perform poorly? I'm guessing not, and that functionality is somewhat dependent on the front aerodynamics (as has been mentioned) rather than how far it sticks out in front of the wheel-well. Perhaps canards could help?
    In the front, perhaps more emphasis placed on the hood's vents being larger and more air exiting there? Perhaps the side openings of the front fenders be made larger and the door not be blunt in the front, so that airflow is not moving as fast and as turbulently on exit? I have trimmed back the vertical lip on the rear of the front fender till it is almost flush to the inside. I moved the front of the doors in (more than normal). I have created about as big an opening as I can in that area.
    At the rear, I plan on bringing the face of the rear side opening in by cutting it top and bottom, vertically scoring the inside of the front-most area, so it will bend (hard against the frame at the back), and then re-glassing it top and bottom."

I'm not sure if your louvers could be adapted to this mod or not (probably not) but if you can make available louvers for those interested in this mod I'd be interested.

Other mods of the sire scoops I've seen on a GTM that I like are these...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Pieces look great, i took a stab at putting it together.

Last edited by bbjones121; 04-20-2015 at 08:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow...you have them already? I've been working on coming up with some assembly instructions. I will send them to you as soon as I get something usable.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, USPS beat you no worries, I am not putting the body on yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got mine!
    Just my observations:
    Packaged nicely,
    Good shape to the pieces,
    No instructions for the template,
    The notches took some filing to improve fit
    image.jpg. image.jpg. image.jpg

Edit: I was typing while the instructions comment posted.
    Last edited by matteo92065; 04-21-2015 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Timing

Post Thanks / Like
    How can you identify what order the pieces go? I took a guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    How can you identify what order the pieces go? I took a guess.
    ha ha ha!
    Don't shuffle them out of the package. I did on the first set and it messed me up. I numbered the second set to keep them in order. Once assembled look at the back edge and you will see a small nub. Probably where the cut started and finished. That nub will move gradually from one end to the other as you go down on louvers. If the nub moves back and forth, you have them out of order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok cool. Thanks. I am pretty certain mine were not taped together in order. At least the one that is obviously the bottom one was in the middle of the stack. No biggie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo92065 View Post
    I got mine!
    Just my observations:
    Packaged nicely,

Looks great ! Should improve airflow
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane,
    I just got your emails with attachments. Thanks for the extremely detailed instructions with photos. They look like it will be very easy to follow to piece these together. Looks like you went above and beyond on the instructions. Much appreciated!
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^Agreed, great instructions are the exception, not the norm with aftermarket parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane,
    I just got your emails with attachments. Thanks for the extremely detailed instructions with photos. They look like it will be very easy to follow to piece these together. Looks like you went above and beyond on the instructions. Much appreciated!
    Paul
    Still can't get over how quickly you guys received these! I figured that I'd have plenty of time to get the instructions to you before the louvers arrived in the mail!....guess not! I know the instructions are probably a bit of photo-overload, but as they say, a pictures worth 1000 words. It always helps me to be able to visually see the goal, so I went a bit nuts on the photos. Thanks to everyone for your orders!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a note to add that I haven't completed the instructions as far as bonding the louvers to the body. I ran out of 8115 so as soon as more of it shows up here, I'll finish up email #4 showing you how to bond them together and how to bond them to the body.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, I'd rather have instructions that are too detailed with photos and all than instructions that say "yeah...make it fit, then glue it and stuff".

The design when not hidden by body work reminds me of these puzzles. Here's a raptor as it's fitting with your name:

Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered today. Want to order mechies hood louvers does anybody have both? Do the look similar enough that they go together ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    Ordered today. Want to order mechies hood louvers does anybody have both? Do the look similar enough that they go together ?
    might want to wait to see if VRaptor produces some nice hood louvers
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    IMO, I'd rather have instructions that are too detailed with photos and all than instructions that say "yeah...make it fit, then glue it and stuff".

The design when not hidden by body work reminds me of these puzzles. Here's a raptor as it's fitting with your name:

Gee no imagination !
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure who has no imagination. lol. I thought they looked pretty cool actually ( the louvers and the raptor puzzles).
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I'm not sure who has no imagination. lol. I thought they looked pretty cool actually ( the louvers and the raptor puzzles).
    LOL....I have that raptor dino in CAD also and have made one out of aluminum a few years ago when my son was younger and was into dinosaurs. ;-)

That also has a lot to do with how my company name came to be.......
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like

Test fit

Finished installing the drivers side louvers. I thought that this would be the harder side since it has the gas tank fill tube. It fit fine, lots of room left.
    A couple of notes;
    My filler tube is modified for the aluminum gas tank many people get.
    I did not have instructions when I installed this side. My cuts were what I thought would be best. So I am a little disappointed in the fiberglass cuts. After getting the instructions, the other side will turn out much better. The instructions are very detailed.
    I welded all the pieces together, and bonded studs onto the inner body panels. My louvers are now out to powder coat.

IMG_0018.JPGIMG_0017.JPGIMG_0015.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished installing the drivers side louvers.
    Looks great, post a pics when you get them back from the powder coat folsk
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone have these in a complete car yet? Pics?

Post Thanks / Like
    I got mine!
    Just my observations:
    Packaged nicely,

Any full car pictures of these?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast