Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 8.8 Cobra Mounts, Emergercy Brake Connections

Post Thanks / Like

8.8 Cobra Mounts, Emergercy Brake Connections

First post here thanks to the members documenting so well, have gotten through the initial phase of the "go-cart" part with front suspension, brake lines, master cylinders, etc............. Now I am at the rear 8.8 Cobra rear axle and I have a few questions, have not seen a detailed write up on this except for the manual stating that a few adapters are needed. I have contacted Jay @ FFR, he is getting me the necessary adapters, frame mounts that I need. I only had to give $200 for the complete rear end so I have some "play money" available.

Frame Unloaded, please don't make fun of the carpet "pad", it was free....

Front Suspension

Master Cylinders, Brake Lines. Waiting on powder coating guy to finish up firewall so I can locate reservoirs

Now to the 8.8 Cobra Rear End and what I believe I may need. "Backing Plates" were pretty bent up so I discarded, do I need to get new ones? Notes on the photos will let you know what my issues are. I am just guessing that I am going to need to purchase a few items from Ford to get the axle correct, please see photos. Is that the emergency brake connections that are broken off?

Thanks, Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    That is just the wheel speed sensor. You don't need it unless you are going to use ABS. I wouldn't bother replacing the backing plates
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike, appreciate the response. One more thing I am trying to figure out with this rear end is the gear ratio, going to need to know that on down the road.

Tag on the differential has these numbers:

S207B

3L08 88 4E16 = 3.08?

Pretty sure the gear ratio is coded here somewhere, any help from anyone. Been Goggling trying to find out but no luck so far.
    Last edited by Andy33tt; 04-18-2015 at 12:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes its a 3.08 gear ratio In your tag, the "L" means locking.
    the 4E16 is the date code May 16th 1994 if I decoded it correctly.

The S207B is the plant assembly code. In this case, Sterling plant.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike,

I have, what I believe to be a rear end from a 1998 mustang GT. The plate label reads S229C R, then 3 L 27 88 6D10. So, Sterling plant but not certain was the "R" stands for. Does the rest mean 3.27 ratio with locking differential, 8.8 gear and mfgd May 10, 1996?

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    I you want to get an idea of the ratio, just put a mark on an axle and the yoke on the 8.8. Then turn the yoke and count the revolutions of the axle, you will see 3 full turns and a partial. If the partial is closer to 1/8th turn, probably a 3.08; if closer to 1/4 turn, probably a 3.27.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. 3-27 ratio locking diff..
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. Any idea what the "R"on the tag represents?

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple of more questions, had these bolts and nuts left over. Extra's for the 3-Link installs?

Do these brackets need removed?

So far its been clear sailing with getting to the "go-kart" phase, not seeing the issues the guys had with the low Vin# builds. Thanks for all your help.

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Jay at FFR has verified that the "ears" on the rear axle is for a "quad" shock/spring set up and that they will not interfere with the body. Think I will shave them off just because they will look silly just sitting there.