BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need More help.....

Post Thanks / Like

Need More help.....

So it sounds like cylinders 3 and 4 are not firing. I pull the spark plug wires on both and there is no change in that horrible sound from the exhaust. The sound that I thought was a exhaust leak was the sound of these two cylinders not firing. It looks like I have spark to the plugs. Next I will pull the plugs and see if they have spark. My question is....if there is spark to each of these cylinders....what could the problem be? Running carb, no vacuum.
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it possible that you had the spark plug wires crossed (i.e., 3 on 4 and 4 on 3)?
    Build Blog
    #8203, carbed 427W (611 hp), TKO 600, IRS
    Delivered: May 27, 2014
    Mechanically "Complete": October 1, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    You only need three things for a cylinder to fire: Spark, fuel, and compression. Start by making sure you have all three.

If you do, then make sure they're all happening at the proper time.

As said above, check your cam card, and then make sure you have the proper firing order.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Pull those two plugs and show us how they look.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I pulled the plugs. Dark black soot covering the whole tip, so pretty sure they are fouled. I was running Autolite 3924s and after looking around the forum and also the edelbrock site I should be using 3926s (hotter plug). So after work I will put the new ones in and see what happens. Hopefully this will fix it.
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that it is a timing issue and not the plugs causing the problem. Double check all of the wires to make sure they are in the correct firing order for your cam.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    I believe that it is a timing issue and not the plugs causing the problem. Double check all of the wires to make sure they are in the correct firing order for your cam.
    Doug
    Doug, I thought the firing order was 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8 for all 351w's. When I bought my engine, I didnt get any info on my cam. Are you saying that my cam could change the firing order???

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the correct firing order for your 351w. Many builders get the 302 and 302HO confused, they would put an HO cam in the engine and not change the wiring. In your case, I would just double check the spark plug wires and then that part should be good to go. Another thing to check is to make sure the distributor is NOT 180 degrees out of time (on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke).
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, changed spark plugs and 4 is now firing. I dont think 3 is though. I pulled the wire and plug and I have spark. I pulled dizzy cap and i am on 1 at top dead center. I think the next thing to do is to pull the valve cover off and make sure that I dont have a valve that is not closing.