Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alternator wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Alternator wiring

Need a little help. I'm hooking up a one wire alternator to the supplied Ron Francis harness. I get the part about cutting the three reds to one. But what do you do with the brown wire?image.jpgimage.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to split that behind the dash and run it to each side of the alternator warning light, adding a 560 ohm resistor across the bulb lines to allow the alternator to stay connected to the ignition switch in case the bulb burns out. The other end goes to the ignition switch on 'Run'. You do need that wire to excite the alternator. Attach it at the alternator to the green wire in the wiring of the alternator. Even though it's one wire it really needs more than one to work. I'll get a wiring diagram and post it if no one else beats me to it.

You've got to unwrap the harness behind the dash to find where it loops from one run to another to cut it and attach it across the dash light.

If you unwrap the wiring near the alternator you'll find the red wires all come together into one wire. Also as the diagram shows add a Mega Fuse in the red line to the solenoid or where ever it is going.

Or just hook the brown wire up to the alternator and the other ends runs to the ignition switch and not have an alternator light.

Just found it:

George
    Last edited by GWL; 04-18-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    George, he has a one wire. My personal opinion is send back the one wire and get you a small case 3g alternator. The one wires dont charge great a low rpm. Heck I would sooner have the old 2g alternators, than something designed for old tractors.