FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Transaxle Ground?

Post Thanks / Like

Transaxle Ground?

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    Wiring is almost complete, but I came across this ground that I didn't label (or maybe it fell off?) It's mounted to the middle of the transaxle, but I have no idea what it goes to. Any ideas?
    Thanks so much, guys.

Ben
    Kit #295 Picked up 11/26/2014!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't recall seeing that before. If it was my car I would just attach it to the frame.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine has one of those too...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about just grounding it to the frame like I have all the others, but then I was thinking that since it's attached to the transaxle it might be a ground for some other component around there. It seems like the transaxle wouldn't need a separate ground, wouldn't all of it's attachment points suffice?

Post Thanks / Like
    On the original car, its mounted to the firewall. Id attached it to the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same one, attached to the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everybody, it's attached to the frame.
    That was the last piece of the puzzle, I cranked her over for the first time last night! At least, I thought it was, she cranked but wouldn't fire. I've got some camshaft error codes and since I know the idiot that rebuilt the engine, (me) it looks like it could be a while before I get to enjoy the sweet smell of spent exhaust. Thanks again for the replies!

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same thing.... cranked but wouldn't start.
    Fuel pump and controller wasn't grounded.
    Then fired first thing....... cross your fingers!
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Harley,

When you say,"fuel pump and controller wasn't grounded," are you talking about the little silver box? Sorry I don't have a pic right now. My ECU is just zip tied to the firewall for now, it doesn't ground through mounting, does it? I know my fuel pump is working,(though I haven't tested for proper pressure yet) but I have no spark. I'm sure I wired something wrong but so far I've only had a chance to recheck grounds. The only fault codes I have right now are related to the TGV delete and secondary air pump delete. Any ideas are appreciated!

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Are your cam position and crank position sensors hooked up? Did you replace your spark plugs? I'm assuming your starter will crank? The fuel controller is a little silver box and has a ground wire that hooks up into one of its connector pins. I don't think it's intended to be grounded through mounting but the case could very well be connected to ground on the inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben,
    Like STiWRD said its grounded through the wiring.
    When I dieted the wiring, i just cut all the grounding wires, rearranged everything where I wanted (lots of changes), then connected the ground wires together and to ground based on where the new location was.
    However, my ECU and fuel controller are both bolted to the Aluminum firewall I installed - which is grounded to the frame, so in effect the boxes are also grounded.
    You are also using the clutch pedal interlock as well correct? Need the clutch in or ground the wire.

whoops.... I guess if it turns over you have the clutch interlock figured out......
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Cam and crank sensors are hooked up. It cranks over well, but cylinders 1 & 2 have no spark. I assume 3 & 4 also have no spark, but haven't checked yet. I didn't replace the spark plugs, or any other easily-replaceable items (like maf, cam and crank sensors, coils), because of budget and the fact that the donor ran well. I just did a basic rebuild with stock components to kill time waiting for my kit and for reliability's sake. I'm in way over my head with the wiring and would buy Wayne's or iWire's harness if I could afford it, but I'll figure it out. I really appreciate the ideas and I'll keep you all posted!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben,
    Is it possible that you have an immobilizer preventing it from getting spark?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Ben,
    Is it possible that you have an immobilizer preventing it from getting spark?
    Bob
    That crossed my mind. In fact, I initially removed the module but when it wouldn't start I hooked it back up along with the twisted red/white wires that I believe are the antenna for the immobilizer or rfid in the key?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suttonb3 View Post
    That crossed my mind. In fact, I initially removed the module but when it wouldn't start I hooked it back up along with the twisted red/white wires that I believe are the antenna for the immobilizer or rfid in the key?
    The last paragraph in the document below worries me. I am not and expert on this, Maybe someone else will chime in.
    Bob

imb.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man, that is a scary thought. I tried to start it with the alarm module disconnected a couple of times. However, when the key is turned to the "on" position the security light on the dash goes out. After the key is turned to the "off" position the security light flashes every 3 seconds. That makes me think that the immobilizer system is ok, if I'm reading that correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to admit it but I couldn't get mine to fire for over a month while I checked recheck and triple checked wiring finally found the gear on the crank that makes the sensor fire was missing a tooth I found it by looking through the sensor hole while turning the crank by hand