Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: both sides flash when turning on right or left turn signal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

both sides flash when turning on right or left turn signal

When I switch either way all of the flashers turn on as if I had turned on the emergency flashers. Has anyone seen this before? It is kinda hard to understand unless the harness was mis-wired since I simply plugged in the connectors. It is hard to imagine what I did wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any chance you have one dash indicator installed? if you do, there is a possible "back-feed" thru it to the other side, causing all to flash at once. You'll need diodes in the leads to the indicator (from each side) to cure your issue.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I am having the same problem that rear turn lights both flash when the turn signal switch is left or right. I tested for voltage in the right and left rear signal leads at the steering column connector and found voltage in both leads when the switch is on. Next I disconnected the turn signal wires at the tail lights and rechecked voltage at the steering column connector. I only had voltage in the signal wire that should be powered, ie left when left switched and right when right switched. Then I reconnect the tail light turn signal and ran ground from the tail lights directly to the battery ground. Problem remained. I surmise I'm getting bleed over voltage at the steering column to the opposite turn signal due to the low LED load. I will contact Ron Francis and see if I can install a no-load resistor the size of an incandescent 1157 bulb in the turn signal lead. Since I am three years behind you in discovering this, I am curious what you found to resolve this issue.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyJ View Post
    I am having the same problem that rear turn lights both flash when the turn signal switch is left or right. I tested for voltage in the right and left rear signal leads at the steering column connector and found voltage in both leads when the switch is on. Next I disconnected the turn signal wires at the tail lights and rechecked voltage at the steering column connector. I only had voltage in the signal wire that should be powered, ie left when left switched and right when right switched. Then I reconnect the tail light turn signal and ran ground from the tail lights directly to the battery ground. Problem remained. I surmise I'm getting bleed over voltage at the steering column to the opposite turn signal due to the low LED load. I will contact Ron Francis and see if I can install a no-load resistor the size of an incandescent 1157 bulb in the turn signal lead. Since I am three years behind you in discovering this, I am curious what you found to resolve this issue.
    Follow the link above and read the whole post. It will solve your problem.