Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: rear trans leak.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

rear trans leak.

The rear seal on my T-5 trans keeps leaking. I replaced it 2 times and polished the yoke as best I could. The yoke on the FFR supplied drive shaft is slightly pitted. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what was your fix. The drive shaft spins nice and true so I am thinking I may need a new yoke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have the same problem with a Ford Racing supplied T5. Every time the front end gets lifted some fluid (1-2 oz.) runs out. Haven't tried to cure it yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Cobra View Post
    I have the same problem with a Ford Racing supplied T5. Every time the front end gets lifted some fluid (1-2 oz.) runs out. Haven't tried to cure it yet.
    Mine is a ford racing T-5 as well. I know the level is correct. Hard to believe this is normal though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, Hope you have the T-5 leak problem resolved. Are you still planning to be in Kissimmee tomorrow for the Good Guy's event. If so, I would like to stop by and see your Coupe. Thanks, Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE A View Post
    Tom, Hope you have the T-5 leak problem resolved. Are you still planning to be in Kissimmee tomorrow for the Good Guy's event. If so, I would like to stop by and see your Coupe. Thanks, Joe
    Yes I will be there. leak or no leak. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    My new TKO 600 is doing the same exact thing I think the drive shaft is too long, on mine the seal seems to be riding on the radius
    at the base of the yoke. Is this also the case with you guys?

Every time I jack up the front end it drips really slow, maybe it just needs to be broken in?
    Last edited by HCP 65 COUPE; 04-24-2015 at 06:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys

Mine did just the same thing, but after 6,000 +/- miles I don't notice a drip spot on the floor anymore. Must have sealed itself. I do, however, notice a small drip spot at the back of the bell housing, but what the heck something's gotta leak. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    They dont leak, they "MARK" their territory.

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke with Tremec about leaky rear seals, since they were prevalent at my local strip. They told me that so many folks are not careful enough with their yolk when they put it in, and many yolks have tiny burrs that can rip the seal. Also, another cause is overly ambitious plug removal when the tranny is shipped.
    I had a leak, and i think it was a tear from the pliers when i removed the plug.
    When i replaced the seal (easy job) and re-installed the yolk, i passed some steel wool around it to make sure it was smooth. I haven't had a prob since.
    Chris Bourque

Coupe #578

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki231 View Post
    I spoke with Tremec about leaky rear seals, since they were prevalent at my local strip. They told me that so many folks are not careful enough with their yolk when they put it in, and many yolks have tiny burrs that can rip the seal. Also, another cause is overly ambitious plug removal when the tranny is shipped.
    I had a leak, and i think it was a tear from the pliers when i removed the plug.
    When i replaced the seal (easy job) and re-installed the yolk, i passed some steel wool around it to make sure it was smooth. I haven't had a prob since.
    Thanks, I will give that a try for sure. FFR suggested I check the plug on the back of the yoke for a possible leak also. I am pulling the shaft out tomorrow and will do all I can to remedy the leak. I will post when I fix it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the car on my 4 post lift and noticed that fluid was coming out of the speedo sensor, not the trans seal in the back. Mine had a electric hook up that I used for my FFR gauges. But it also allowed for an old cable hook up. It came with a red plug in the cable part. I left it as it came. It seems that is where my leak is. I ended up sealing the o-ring where the cable shaft would meet the sensor and silicone it all up good. I will know this weekend for sure. I have a car show 45 miles away in Lake City. I'll post next week if this fixes it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, how did you get the speedo sensor out of the T5? Do I just pull real hard? I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding out how to get it out of the rear housing.

I am also having trouble taking the rear seal out if you have some hints there.

Might as well kill two birds with one stone

Thanks!
    Michael
    Coupe #675 "Eloise"

10/14/14 Coupe Ordered - 1/29/15 Coupe Delivered - 5/1/16 First Start
    Build Thread - Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    The sensor just pulled straight out. After taking out the 10mm bolt that hold the clamp in. The rear seal I used a seal puller. It sorta looks like a curved beak with a handle. Both were easy on my trans. IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've taken the bolt off and the sensor just doesn't come off. I'll try some more creative methods if I have to.

Good to know about the seal puller, I didn't know those existed. Thanks!
    Michael
    Coupe #675 "Eloise"

10/14/14 Coupe Ordered - 1/29/15 Coupe Delivered - 5/1/16 First Start
    Build Thread - Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to a car show 40 miles away. No leaks. The speedo sensor was the source.

IMG_1129.JPGIMG_1132.JPG