FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: starter wires. please help

Post Thanks / Like

starter wires. please help

So I tracked down the yellow start wire and ran the cable from the battery to the positive end of the cylinoid. I'm having troubles with the instructions telling me to splice 2 red wires to the fuse box. do I connect both of these wires to the positive end on the cylinoid? and where do the other ends of these wires go? there are two yellow wires in the fuse box do I cut those off and connect them straight into the fuse box? the instructions are extremely unhelpful lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay. So I was looking through the instruction book for a pic of the fuse box hoping it would give me some indication of where it would go. There is a 3 pin plug with a blue wire a blk/wht wire and a red wire. It looks as though I would connect a wire from the positive end of the starter and connect the other end where the red wire is on the 3 pinned connector. Is this correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    What year donor did your wiring come from and do you have the factory manual with wiring diagrams?

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a 02 impreza. I don't have the wiring schematics. It will turn over if the ecu is disconnected. While it is connected the check engine light flashes and there are 4 or 5 relays all over the place clicking in a pattern and it won't turn over...
    I don't believe the car an alarm or anything like that..

Post Thanks / Like
    you can find the manuals here if you want.....

http://ken-gilbert.com/impreza-manuals

They provide info on anything you want to know and were great source of info to me. Including complete wiring info.

The yellow wire goes to the solonoid spade connection.
    The double red wire they are talking about..... they are referring to the connection between the fusebox ring connection (bolt connection) which on my donor wiring went to the positive battery terminal.
    I mounted my fuse block and relay panel in the front of the shifter tunnel, so very short distance to the battery positive terminal.
    They are probably connecting it to he starter battery connection to save you the wire all the way to the front battery if you mount your relay panel where they suggest (near the gas tank).
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    I have come to this point in my wiring and have the SAME question!

Does anyone have pictures of how this is connected?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsonmj View Post
    I have come to this point in my wiring and have the SAME question!

Does anyone have pictures of how this is connected?
    Here is what I have of the red wires on the starter side and the fuse box side. The yellow attaches to the spade terminal on the starter solenoid.

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG
    Last edited by RDRP; 03-17-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the answer. However, I can't get the pics to open on my end? Can you PM me them?

I truly appreciate it. Even though I mostly a lurker, EVERYONE on this forum, past and present, have definitely helped me with my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about that. Images are updated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I got a little over zealous in my wiring diet and eliminated the Trigger line (Yellow wire with Spade connection) probably thinking it was an airbag at the time. I dug it out of my wire box and connected it to the starter, can someone confirm where the other side of the trigger line (yellow) connects?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsonmj View Post
    Well, I got a little over zealous in my wiring diet and eliminated the Trigger line (Yellow wire with Spade connection) probably thinking it was an airbag at the time. I dug it out of my wire box and connected it to the starter, can someone confirm where the other side of the trigger line (yellow) connects?
    Yellow line connects to the starter interlock relay (B105 on the 02-03 harness, B225 on the 04-07 harness).
    Starter.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I am trying to make since of it too?IMG_2404.jpgIMG_2405.jpg
    When I took the tape off my harness the positive battery terminal with a ground for the fuse box came off with no other wires connected to anything else, so if I connect it like picture 1 it goes to the starter (is it on the correct connection on the started pic 2) Then does the yellow wire with a spade give power to other parts of the car? On the pics attached in post #7 is the black / yellow wire that becomes 2 red spliced wire the ground or did I orginally mis-label them? What is the point of taking 1 wire and splicing it to connect both to the same terminal? Do I have it backwards and on picture 2 on post 7, the big red wire goes to the positive terminal and to the battery and the 2 red goes to the ground? Is this making sense?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef818 View Post
    I am trying to make since of it too?IMG_2404.jpgIMG_2405.jpg
    When I took the tape off my harness the positive battery terminal with a ground for the fuse box came off with no other wires connected to anything else, so if I connect it like picture 1 it goes to the starter (is it on the correct connection on the started pic 2) Then does the yellow wire with a spade give power to other parts of the car? On the pics attached in post #7 is the black / yellow wire that becomes 2 red spliced wire the ground or did I orginally mis-label them? What is the point of taking 1 wire and splicing it to connect both to the same terminal? Do I have it backwards and on picture 2 on post 7, the big red wire goes to the positive terminal and to the battery and the 2 red goes to the ground? Is this making sense?
    In picture #2, You should NOT have any wires or cables attached to the bottom post of the starter solenoid.
    I connected the negative cable from my battery to a bell housing bolt holding the starter on. Then uses a ground strap from that point to the frame near the motor mount.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    So since the battery is now up front and not next to the engine in the donor, things will be changed. Currently the bottom post has the black with yellow stripe wire that goes to the negative battery terminal and to the black fuse box, Am I correct that the black / yellow stripe wire is a ground wire? There is no color designation on the wire schmatics. Are you saying to ground it closer and then up front the battery will have a ground for it up there too.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bottom post of the starter should not have anything from the harness connected to it. It only connects between the starter and starter solenoid via a very short built-in wire.

The large black/yellow should be attached between the battery negative post and chassis. Your engine/starter will then ground to the chassis with the woven silver strap included in the kit. It's typically recommended as well to run another heavy duty ground cable (not supplied with the kit) between the negative battery post and the engine/starter as a redundancy.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_2444.JPGI figured out the ground wire, thank you, but am still confused on the red wires. 1 comes from the positive battery terminal to the starter and the other red goes from the starter to the fuse box, where does it go at the fuse box? The 2 pictures in post #7 on my car are a black with a yellow stripe which is the ground wire? I attached picks of my fuse box and a pic of the old positive battery cable, wondering were the second wire connected to on the fuse boxIMG_2443.JPG
    Last edited by Chef818; 08-10-2017 at 02:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are we supposed to use the double 10 ga wire from the starter to the fuse block? The instructions are still unclear, and I got a single ring connector with my kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a thick red wire (~0 ga) that runs from the starter directly to the battery positive terminal. Try to mimic the factory subaru wiring when in doubt (see post #11 for wiring diagram). There's a thinner wire, possibly the 10 ga you're referring to, that runs from the starter solenoid to the starter interlock relay. The FFR manual isn't clear on this, I agree.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn’t clear, sorry.

I have the huge wire going from the battery to the starter solenoid, and a single 10ga wire going from the same solenoid post to the fuse block.

The manual shows 2 (two) 10 ga wires going from the solenoid. Post 7 in this thread shows both of those wires going to the fuse block. Do I need both wires? It seems . . . odd. If one is inadequate to the load, use a bigger one? If one is fine, why 2 wires? I’ve never seen that done anywhere else before.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    My fuse block has a single 0.168" wire (the copper dia.) to that post in the second picture on post 7, where the two reds are spliced to the black into the post. Closest match to that 0.168" diameter is 6 guage wire. So a pair of 10 guage wires going into to that would be equivalent. Rule of thumb and look up wire size changes... typically two wires 4 guages smaller is = one larger wire.

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI
    This is a chart of wire ampacity I use on vehicles.

So typical "10GA GXL Automotive Wire Cross-Link XLPE -40C to 125C" would be good to 62.3 amps in an engine bay.

On power circuits, I often will run 2 smaller wires in parallel if space is tight and requires sharp bends.
    Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, then I'll add a second wire. Thanks guys!