Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 110 MPG Factory Five Rocks Green Grand Prix!

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

110 MPG Factory Five Rocks Green Grand Prix!

I traveled to the 2015 Green Grand Prix at Watkins Glen International Raceway with Factory Five crew members Jim Schenck and Kyle Barros to provide support to an exciting team from West Philly High School. Instructor Simon Hauger and his kids at West Philly High School built a Factory Five 818 powered by a turbo-diesel engine running on doughnut oil!

This team has competed in two previous Green Grand Prix’s and was also a finalist in the Progressive Insurance X-Prize competition with a Factory Five GTM.

This year’s format includes rally style lap times that reward drive consistency, and a strict measurement of fuel to determine mileage. The West Philly Team entered their car in the non-hybrid class. Results are not tabulated yet, but the Factory Five 818 powered by a modified Volkswagen TDI engine producing 180 HP and 290 lb.-ft. of torque (!) delivered a jaw-dropping 110 MPG at an average speed of 45 MPH on the track! Simon predicts this car would deliver between 70-75 MPG in street use! At 1,800 lbs. and with 180 HP (and more importantly 290 lb.-ft. of torque!), the car is still very, very fast.

We will have more details on the car and the exciting day on the track. Here are some photos from the event. Note: The Factory Five 818 shown here has the first prototype hard top. The modified 818C will debut at our summer Open House in June.

Simon Hauger (second from left) and his students from West Philly High School who built the car.

Simon and his kids brought the car from their school shop in Philadelphia.

Factory Five President Dave Smith spent the first track session with Simon working to determine the most efficient line around the track and rally time points.

Simon successfully completed 30 of 31 laps within the required time period.

Factory Five Racing molding manager Kyle Barros (right) and Director of R&D Jim Schenck (left) were on hand to see how the new hard top would perform.

Factory Five President Dave Smith, Director of R&D Jim Schenck, and Molding Manager Kyle Barros.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Simon Hauger did extensive street driving with the car before heading to Watkins Glen.

After two hours of driving, the team measures out how much bio-diesel fuel was consumed.

Here’s a cool fact: Simon drove for two hours at an average speed of 45 MPH and consumed less than 1 gallon of diesel fuel!

Simon calculates the final miles per gallon number – 110 MPG!

Simon was interviewed by a local TV station about his car and team’s effort.

Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The kids provided pit support and spectators all in one.

Congratulations to the entire West Philly High School team and special thanks to Ann Cohen for photography work and support!
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me be the first on this forum to congratulate the kids of West Philly High School and Simon Hauger for this incredible accomplishment!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll second that! This country could use more of these schools.
    It looks like they have their radiator mounted in the rear. They also relocated the fuel tank. This would have made a great build thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    I'll second that! This country could use more of these schools.
    It looks like they have their radiator mounted in the rear. They also relocated the fuel tank. This would have made a great build thread.
    Great Job West Philly Hybrid X Team.
    The fuel tank and radiator sound like a good idea.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 04-22-2015 at 06:55 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations to the students for this very impressive result!

Post Thanks / Like
    What an awesome accomplishment! And that hard top... Drool.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by flynntuna; 04-26-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if they have a better build thread elsewhere on line with some info on what they did to the motor to help with the fuel mileage????

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations to the wonderful students on their inspiring work, and to their teacher for supporting such awesome work!

Dave, it was very cool of you and your team to go out there and support this team. They did great work, and I think it is great that you have supported them so well in this, and their previous work.

The top looks awesome by the way!!

Great work from everyone here, and I hope it gets lots of press. More folks should see the awesome things that happen from hard working kids. Truly inspiring!!

Regards,

Steve

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    that is awesome. next stop hybrid diesel!
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the previous GTM car they built, they beat the Chevy Volt and Toyota Prius, taking first place. This year they beat their previous mileage with 110 mpg. This school has been honored by President Obama, been featured in National news media, and local TV. I've said it before, this story would make a great Movie script. Inner city kids and their genius teacher build a car, enter into the big race, and although they beat teams like MIT, they don't win the big prize. Then they come back the next year and win it all. Eventually their engineering becomes an option on a kit car that allows you to build your own green machine.

Do we have anyone with Hollywood connections on here?