BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: where to start

Post Thanks / Like

where to start

After reading the assembly manual enough to have certain pictures burned into my retinas - I am ready to begin.

I was excited when this project was announced, even more when the "C" model was revealed.

Trying to find a reasonably well maintained donor for the right price is harder than I thought.
    Around here, a 2002 WRX with 250K on the odometer goes for over 4 grand - no wiggle room either.
    Trying to find a WRX that hasn't been modified beyond belief is even harder.
    Talked to a few "recyclers" - and the parts list is nearly as much, sans the drive train.

On the other hand, non turbo cars go for about 2K, but are all over 200K miles.
    The JDM EJ20T STi motor and trans is 3500, ( Ver 4) - which is the way I am leaning.

Looking for some guidance. It took me 10 yrs to build my MKII while raising a family.
    The MKII has had every donor part except the rear differential and front spindles replaced.
    I want to avoid that this time around.

IF you had to source parts out, what would you change ?
    Are the 2006 front lower control arms better ?
    What about the seats ? I see a lot of STI seats on Craigslist.
    Cable or fly by wire ? - advantage / disadvantage ?

Wiring - no disrespect to vendors or services - but some of the prices make me want to skip this build entirely.
    Is there any reason why a 28 circuit PAINLESS Universal cant be used ?
    I know I am going with a stand alone set up most likely a Megasquirt.
    (A co worker built his 87 Supra 1JZ motor to 560 HP - he is a true master at tuning/building turbo applications).

I have enjoyed reading & watching you guys modify/ fabricate/ improve on the kit.

Cant wait to place my order.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to source a donor car for a really good price I ended up selling the unused parts from it and turning a profit. If you buy one that is intact you can still sell all the body parts from it and make back quite a bit of money as this is still a modern car with at least some people needing parts. So I personally would recommend a donor car for the 818 also because Factory Five utilizes so many more parts from the donor in these kits. I know what you mean with the Roadster build, My dad and I built a MK3 a few years back and went the same route with using a donor. Turned out we really didn't use many of the parts at all and probably would have saved money even by going piece by piece.

Just my two cents, good luck with your build!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are building an S or a C I'd say the donor route is the way to go.
    If you are building an R, and especially if you use the JDM motor/box with a stand alone, I'd say source the remaining bits individually.
    2006 had alloy arms and better brakes, it depends on how hard you want to go.
    Now that the kit waiting times are short, you might not get time to fully dismantle/sell a donor before the kit arrives, especially important if you are short on space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I regret getting a donor, and not just because I decided to use a Mazda engine. I never intended to use the NA motor in the donor. However I didn't use the seats, IMO anyone above 5'8" couldn't and clear the roll bar. I decided to upgrade my brakes, and will probably need to upgrade my donor rear suspension links to fit wheels. OEM rad probably won't cut it for track days, and a newer steering rack would probably be more ideal. Had I come close to recouping my money spent on the donor my opinion would probably be different. Depends on where you live I guess.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    However I didn't use the seats. I decided to upgrade my brakes, and will probably need to upgrade my donor rear suspension links to fit wheels / newer steering rack would probably be more ideal .
    Thanks for the input - I like VCPs rear lower arms for larger wheels, the GTM/Kirkey seats are awesome - so dictates the price !

I found a few 02-04 with 200K plus on them, toss the motor/trans since it will be replaced. Like the Fox body donor, I am afraid I will just replace everything
    down the road as they wear out.

I have just finished replacing/ upgrading my sons 85 RX 7s suspension, what an adventure that was.

I will look for the 2006 front set up, shouldn't be a problem.
    Any input on the STi seats ? I a looking at a set for $200 -are they worth it ?

Thanks again.
    "E"

Post Thanks / Like
    I found my 2004 WRX donor on CoPart Insurance (light front end damage with 100K) auction $3600 delivered. Unloaded it started right up and drove it around. Sold off a bunch of parts for $3100.00
    I am building an R can could have sourced the needed Subaru bits but actually learned a ton and am glad I went the donor route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mitch -

Thanks for the site, this looks like the way to go. waiting for registration confirmation before I can start bidding.
    Found a good one with no motor/trans - about 60 miles from me.

I have also viewed ridesafely for auctions, however the closest to me was over 200 miles away.

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased a 2006 WRX with 93,000 miles for $4300 including fees from Ridesafely. There was damage to the hood and trunk. I was able to sell parts through Craigslist making my net cost much closer to $2500. I've used almost all donor parts in my build, save a few CV joints and the seats. I am very happy with my decision to go the donor route.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased a local donor car here that had exactly what I needed. Mechanicals with a good engine and trans, but no body. Great price.
    For me it was a good way to go, and gave me something to do while I planned and researched what I wanted to build.

Rebuilding using donor parts, cleaning, painting and replacing bearings etc. was part of the learning process for me, and now I have all "new" parts. I won't be having the donor failure you had as all the items are basically rebuilt. I enjoyed that part.
    I learned a lot about Subaru in the process, and I feel good about re-using parts that would have gone to the garbage.

However, I'm already thinking that now that I know what I know..... I would build number two a different way. I'm not sure I would go the donor route on number two.
    Locally I have seen lots of people selling parts off cars, and I could probably pick and choose the ones I wanted.

It really depends on what you want out of the teardown and build. If you are a knowledgeable Subaru guy, then you probably already know where to find all the parts cheap, and you already know the car. No challenge just doing what you already know....
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015