Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Advice on driving to Wareham

Post Thanks / Like

Advice on driving to Wareham

We’re planning a trip from Texas to Wareham this summer to pick up our new roadster kit. Never been to this part of the country so figured we’d make it a 2-3 week vacation and see some of the sights along the way. The problem is we’ll be driving a truck and towing a trailer. We need to figure out places to stay with the rig along the way. If we could find a safe place to leave the truck and trailer for a week or so maybe we should rent a car for doing the touristy stuff? Thinking we'd like to see the Capital, some of the historical places, maybe New York City. I would really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Places to go or stay away from??

Bob Lloyd

Post Thanks / Like
    I drove from Norfolk, VA, but I had no sight-seeing goals. I did the whole round trip in 2 days. If you want to do touristy stuff around New York, your idea to ditch the truck somewhere and rent a car is spot-on. The tolls on all the highways around New York are astronomical for anything over 2 axles. You will quickly spend the cost of a rental car if you bring the trailer anywhere close to the city.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stay away from the NJ turnpike and I-95 in NY,NY. The Blue ridge parkway is a great drive. JMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    For both Washington DC and New York City, find a place outside the city where you can park your rig and use public transportation. With or without a trailer, parking is very hard to find in the city and extremely $$$ if you do. The Metro train in DC goes to all the suburbs, and is a very safe and enjoyable way to get around. Once you're downtown, most everything is within walking distance. For NYC, I'd probably use taxis. In either case, don't drive yourself downtown. Both cities are great to visit. Don't miss out, especially if you haven't been before.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    While driving up through NJ, do not, I repeat, do not take the George Washington Bridge and Cross Bronx Expressway. Instead scoot out to RT287 and take the Tappen Zee Bridge, then swing back over to RT95.

Bill S.

PS: Open or enclosed trailer and what type of rig?
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    While driving up through NJ, do not, I repeat, do not take the George Washington Bridge and Cross Bronx Expressway. Instead scoot out to RT287 and take the Tappen Zee Bridge, then swing back over to RT95.

Bill S./34

PS: Open or enclosed trailer and what type of rig?
    Driving a Chevy 3/4 ton duramax with 20 ft. enclosed trailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    What route are you planning to take? We manage a few hotels along your way in Rogers & Little Rock AR, Chicago, Chattanooga & Knoxville TN, Richmond & Springfield VA, North Wales PA outside of Philly and Albany NY that I might be able to help with some room rates. This goes for the rest of the members too, your threads have made the build a piece of cake (so far). I would set my navigation to "avoid toll's", I was close to $100 on the way up a couple of months ago. We set it to avoid tolls on the way back, seen some beautiful country south of NY before I got back to I-81. PM me if you want a break on rooms, mostly Marriott and Hilton properties.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the offer on rates. I'll be in touch. We'll be taking I40 east from Dallas. If we could find a place around Philly that would accommodate the truck & trailer where we could stay for a week or more, it might work out perfect.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Andy33tt View Post
    What route are you planning to take? We manage a few hotels along your way in Rogers & Little Rock AR, Chicago, Chattanooga & Knoxville TN, Richmond & Springfield VA, North Wales PA outside of Philly and Albany NY that I might be able to help with some room rates. This goes for the rest of the members too, your threads have made the build a piece of cake (so far). I would set my navigation to "avoid toll's", I was close to $100 on the way up a couple of months ago. We set it to avoid tolls on the way back, seen some beautiful country south of NY before I got back to I-81. PM me if you want a break on rooms, mostly Marriott and Hilton properties.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    Thanks for the offer on rates. I'll be in touch. We'll be taking I40 east from Dallas. If we could find a place around Philly that would accommodate the truck & trailer where we could stay for a week or more, it might work out perfect.

Bob
    We have a Courtyard & a Residence Inn over in North Wales outside of Philly that I could help with. I-40 all the way to I-81 I can help with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I pull a similar combo when I do Street Rod shows. You can find self storage sites that will rent you space to leave the truck and trailer. They typically want a months rent but outdoor storage is not to pricey. I'll pick a few spots to look at, then do google earth views to be sure I have enough room to maneuver the 24 ft. trailer. It works out well. In my case I leave the trailer between shows and head home with the Chevy 3500.