Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with ignition switch

Post Thanks / Like

Help with ignition switch

I am working on trying to decipher the mess of wires in the ignition switch. I have Haynes manual with the list of wires that connect for starting, run, and acc. However, I cannot figure out what wires go the the keyed switch. The original switch is out of a 1996 mustang. I tried searching through the threads but I have not been able to find anything yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using the harness from the 96 Mustang also? If so a 96 mustang wiring diagram should help. Another method would be to use your test light or voltmeter. There is going to be one wire that is hot all the time. Then several wires that are hot in various positions of the key. Operating the key switch and making notes of which wires get hot at the various positions would get you what you need to know.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, PM your email address. I will send you the '96 ignition switch pinout/diagram for you.

Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got it all working. I love a good challenge and this was definitely one. For my 1996 Mustang Cobra, the white/pink was the starter wire. I locked the module in the run position and connected B+ to the battery post on the switch. I then found the right “A” wire and attached it to the run post on the switch. Finally, the green/red wire from the alternator should attach to the “Accessory” post on the switch. Now it runs, stops, and the alternator charges the battery with the flip of a key.