Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Got rid of the serpentine belt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Got rid of the serpentine belt.

My FIA is supposed to look like it was hot-rodded in the late 60's. At least, that's the look I'm going for. I'm using a '68 289 block with an old Weiand manifold and Holley carb. I even used the old distributor (with Pertronix internals). The serpentine belt system just wasn't fitting into the program, and I didn't want to go back to V-belts. My solution was a Gilmer belt system and I'm very pleased with the results. This is just mocked up, so there are missing bolts here and there and the crank pulley is not fully seated.

IMG_02392604.jpg

IMG_02402604.jpg
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    very nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks cool! I'm thinking you may get some blower like whine from it? Apparently with the switch from serp you decided to forego the power steering?

jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I never really wanted power steering anyway, but the power rack came with the unfinished kit I bought. Once I found a trading partner to swap it for a manual rack, the decision was an easy one. However, Gilmer belts are available in a ton of sizes, and can be obtained with teeth on both sides. If someone was inclined, there are generic pulleys out there that could be modified to work on a power steering pump. Then you could run a CCW water pump and not worry about the short wrap contact.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain