Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GTM: Engine Mount Relocation and Options for Transaxle, Exhaust and Throttle Linkage

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

GTM: Engine Mount Relocation and Options for Transaxle, Exhaust and Throttle Linkage

Hello All,

I'm researching some options for the GTM kit car beforing committing to the purchase.

Transaxle:
    The recommendation calls for the Porshe, or aftermarket alternative to mate with the
    LS series engines.

What are the complications, and possibilities of using the C5 transaxle instead?
    This may require moving the engine mounts, and/or modifying the tube frame.
    Would this be a monster task, or is it worth the trade off in order to utilize the donor
    car transmission?

It would also be nice to keep the 6th gear for highway cruising and fuel economy...
    'cause god knows my foot will be into this machine 99.9% of the time otherwise!

Exhaust
    I may opt to use the motor from my Camaro to power the GTM. It has a set of
    long tube headers which I'd hate to leave behind. Does the rear configuraiton allow
    for a long tube header, or are you limited to custom/mid length headers?

Throttle Linkage
    If using the LS1 from my Camaro, does anyone oppose the use of a cable system
    to control the throttle blade?

Thank you kindly for your advice and tips!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there.

You're probably not going to like the answers, but...

Transaxle- This has been discussed extensively on the "other forum". Unless you want to end up with a car that no longer resembles the GTM, you can not use the Vette transaxle.Way, WAY too long.

Exhaust- It's pretty tight in the GTM as far as exhaust goes. I know people that have modified "standard" headers to work, but at around $1300 for the entire stainless steel exhaust system including mufflers, headers, cats, and nice tips, the VRaptor solution is going to be hard to beat. You'll probably spend more time than it's worth to you in making something, and arguably have something less than the Kooks system offered by VRaptor.

Throttle Linkage- It's no problem to use the cable actuated throttle body. Many people do this.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Camaro engine acc and oil pan will need to be switched to Vette parts or the engine will need to be moved back about an inch (harder than it sounds). No mater what, the Camaro oil pan will not work (sits way to low).

As for the exhaust, the 2001+ Vette manifolds, Factory Five suppled exhaust and H-Pipe is the least expensive and will flow very, very well. Camaro LT will not work.

Some have used the cable throttle with limited sucess, drive by wire is the prefered method.

Best of luck, hope you build a GTM.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    By your replies it appears I'll have to resort to using the donor car engine which is not a problem, and stick with the recommended transaxle.

The GTM is well within reach, I'm just checking insurance options and making sure our ministry of transportation doesn't
    have any surprises in store. The plan is to grab the kit for the Fall and build it over the Winter. It's a beautiful kit, and
    for the money vs. performance it just can't be beat!

Thanks so much for the info. I'll have many more quesitons moving forward, but hopefully I can return the favour one day!

Tino

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    No mater what, the Camaro oil pan will not work (sits way to low).

Jim
    I beg to differ on this point. The crate engines come with the Camaro pan and no one has reported any clearance issues with using it. To the contrary, there is a thread on the "other forum" that has addressed this specific question and posters saying they used the Camaro pan with no problems what so ever.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Worst case, I'll just flip the cylinder heads from my LS1, and go with a custom grind camshaft for the donor motor.

My adrenaline is pumping just thinking about this kit and the game plan.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle