Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: selling off donor parts / shipping / payment

Post Thanks / Like

selling off donor parts / shipping / payment

Just wondering what other people have been doing in regards to shipping and receiving payment of the donor parts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Shipping expense is most always on the buyer. As far as payments go, PayPal is probably the most popular. You can also take personal checks and/or money orders as I have done in the past. I think you may find if you sell items here on the forum that we're a pretty good core group. People rarely get screwed over on a deal here but it will happen from time to time.
    Frank

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried selling on NASIOC, Craigslist, and eBay. I didn't sell a thing on CL, though some others here sold 90% of their stuff on CL so YMMV. Most of my stuff sold on eBay and CL. Paypal or local cash pickup.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    also get hooked up with your local Subaru forum... there are quite a few of them. You should be able to unload a bunch of stuff locally which saves time and money.

where are you located?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used EBay mostly, research what you have, weigh the parts, price slightly lower than what is avail compared to your's, let EBay estimate shipping charges, it is pretty close by zip code. I sold $ 2284 from an $1850 2005 roll over WRX donor. I donated some other parts to friends and could still squeeze a bit more out of it if I worked at it... I did unload a few things on the forum too. Just price it fair, box it well and be reasonable, Craigslist, EBay, NASAOIC and this Forum are all good places to sell stuff. Note: I did sell some stuff that customers found faulty (I never drove the donor) it's easy to refund their $ and let them trash the parts (sensors a couple were bad)
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    How much did you clean up the parts, and how much specific info did you feel like you needed to put in the listing?

Thanks in advance

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    check out seller http://www.ebay.com/usr/541-motorsports?rt=nc

they sell pretty much every Subaru part you can think of, their listings, photos, and prices should be a good reference

look at the item history as it looks like he is taking a break from ebay selling during the holidays, or take a look in the new year.
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 12-30-2015 at 01:26 PM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbiglar View Post
    How much did you clean up the parts, and how much specific info did you feel like you needed to put in the listing?

Thanks in advance
    most parts don't require much cleanup, I take as many photos as needed/free with listing and you can see what you need to list based on other postings
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Temecula, CA about 1/2 way between San Diego & Los Angeles

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info all...very helpful. Any advice on cleaning agents to use on donor parts, along with what paint brand to use when I re-coat?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    For aluminum: Eagle One Etching Mag Wheel Cleaner and a plastic dish scrub brush (let it soak a couple minutes, rinse, repeat), then a final cleaning using Simple Green Auto or Aero formula.
    For ferrous metals: DIY Electrolysis in a 5-gallon bucket with a battery charger
    For paint, I've been really liking the VHT Roll Bar and Chassis Black
    For rubber: Silicone spray

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Exactly what I needed. My son (14) and I picked up our donor car for Christmas :-) Plan to start on tear down tomorrow 1/1. Goal is to have car hopefully done by end of spring. We will see how it goes. Hopefully this will be a great memory for him.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a great father and son project. Start a built thread to keep us posted!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's definitely do able. Save all bolts and label their origin(they can be restored if rusty with DIY electrolysis), mark all the wiring connections as best you can, and have fun. I started my donor tear down in late Feb and finished around late April. It comes apart much faster than it goes together

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Exactly what I needed. My son (14) and I picked up our donor car for Christmas :-) Plan to start on tear down tomorrow 1/1. Goal is to have car hopefully done by end of spring. We will see how it goes. Hopefully this will be a great memory for him.
    My 15 year old and I built ours. One of the most enjoyable things I've ever done. Picked up donor in April, kit in August and were finished in July. He did a huge portion of the work, and got to drive the car first both as a go kart and finished car. As to your question about paint, we purchased an Eastwood Powder coating set up and an oven off Craigslist. We found powder coating easier and obtained better results than my previous efforts with painting. Still selling parts, most recently today. About $2000 in total all on Craigslist.

Post Thanks / Like

shipping

Can you tell me how you shipped items, when I try to ship items like the hood, bumper and side skirts, all I have been told is to use freight, but they want crazy prices, over $300 to ship a $200 hood

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef818 View Post
    Can you tell me how you shipped items, when I try to ship items like the hood, bumper and side skirts, all I have been told is to use freight, but they want crazy prices, over $300 to ship a $200 hood
    Big stuff you are better off selling as local pickup only. May take a little longer to sell, but otherwise you simply can't recover the shipping cost. Just set up the meet at a busy store parking lot or police station parking lot. I did my rear bumper, exhaust, side skirts, trunk lid, wheels, seats, and a few other parts that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree on selling larger items locally as much as you can. That said, anyone have any advice on how to pack larger items such as door and body work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree on selling larger items locally as much as you can. That said, anyone have any advice on how to pack larger items such as door and body work?
    I shipped a headliner greyhound. (station to station) 5'x8'x4" $114
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread