Post Thanks / Like
    Pics!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13
    Build thread: HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    The rock work and door look great. I too have a "new" project as we have bought a house on 3 acres of land (or should I say weeds). Lots of work to get done before I can get started on the real projects like removing wallpaper from every room (yes I said every room, closet and shelf has wallpaper on it and many different patterns).
    Thanks for the update.
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Jules-

That's funny stuff. I pictured you like Austin Powers petting his cat delightedly engaging the passers by!

And that name; John Deer. Funny stuff that!

Love the stone work. Is it required to close-in under the deck like that? To keep critters out?

I know it is hard work, but you all have done a really nice job!

Regards,

Steve
    It is required that we close in the deck, but I don't think it's because of the critters. The cabins are historic so we have many, many restrictions and I think it has more to do with that. Where the tree comes through the deck, there is a big hole. In fact, I was sitting there the other morning and heard a clucking sort of noise. I turned around and there was a little chipmunk sticking his head through the hole reminding me I hadn't fed him peanuts yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    The rock work and door look great. I too have a "new" project as we have bought a house on 3 acres of land (or should I say weeds). Lots of work to get done before I can get started on the real projects like removing wallpaper from every room (yes I said every room, closet and shelf has wallpaper on it and many different patterns).
    Thanks for the update.
    Congratulations!!!!! I don't envy you even the tiniest bit. When we bought our first house, wallpaper was abound. I can't tell you how many hours I spent removing it. That's when I worked nights and Mike worked days. Memories. I would love to see pictures of your wide variety of wallpaper patterns. Any roosters? The bulk of what I removed had roosters on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSQSL View Post
    Congratulations!!!!! I don't envy you even the tiniest bit. When we bought our first house, wallpaper was abound. I can't tell you how many hours I spent removing it. That's when I worked nights and Mike worked days. Memories. I would love to see pictures of your wide variety of wallpaper patterns. Any roosters? The bulk of what I removed had roosters on it.
    I will get some photo,s for you. The kitchen does have roosters, on the wallpaper, back splash tile and even several single tiles in the island! We have attacked one room so far and after the texture it looks pretty good to me.
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's a rule that kitchen wallpaper has to involve roosters. I'm so incredibly sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Roosters in the kitchen. Its not a rule its a LAW. The cabin is looking beautiful. The envy meter just went to eleven.

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie, is your cabin ok? Looks like the Blue Cut fire is in your area. Jim Herney
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for asking. Yes. The cabin is okay. We were pretty scared for awhile, but the firefighters managed to stop the blaze before it hit town. Hopefully the winds won't shift. I sure hate fire season. I'm fairly certain I have gray hair now.

I haven't been posting updates because Mike has been doing 99% of the work, so I figured there was no point in yammering on about all the stuff I didn't do. We have three new windows which Dan built. They look amazing!!!!!! Mike put barn doors on the garage instead of that old lift up door. I have a new mountain bike which I'm hoping to take on its maiden mountain voyage. I took it out on its maiden city voyage last night. I didn't fall off or fling into anything. It's going to take me awhile to figure out the gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving to all your family. Hope to hear from y'all soon. Be safe and have a good one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, that's really nice. Thank you! I hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope your family had a wonderful Christmas. I just know the New Year will bring wonderful things for your family. Be safe this New Year's eve. Looking forward to seeing posts again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel so bad for not working on the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked Mike to please help me. I am hopeful we will get back out there soon. In the meantime, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and I really, really appreciate the gentle nudging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I just feel silly. I didn't realize this was the cabin thread. Okay. I have cabin updates. I was just waiting until the work was done.

We did the one thing probably everyone on this forum wonders why we didn't do sooner. We expanded the garage. Shhhhhh!!!!!! USFS may not exactly have fully given us 100% permission. They said we could do the roof and the doors and had to replace the siding. It's not my fault the garage accidentally grew 9 more feet and now has a paved floor.

I'd like to say I did all the work, but it isn't true. I stood and watched and handed people things and did what little I could. What is shocking, is that the bulk of the work was done in three days!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness we had the help of a cabin neighbor or two. Mike rented some sort of heavy machinery (which I got to play with for a few minutes and it was a ton of fun). He dug out and flattened and did whatever men with big construction toys do. We were then able to put up a small block wall and fill it with concrete to prepare for the structure.

The following weekend, we pulled down the back of the shed/garage (mostly cabin neighbor did) and leveled the ground before putting in rebar. The cement truck arrived so we could pour the floor. This is terrifying. The truck is huge. I think my head came up to mid grill. It was okay when it was sitting there spinning slowly like a cow chewing its cud. When the driver slammed it into high speed to actually pour the concrete, my heart began to race. I do NOT like that noise. It was loud and rumbly and the truck was shaking. I wanted to run and hide. I managed to stand my ground and attempt to look unperturbed. Mike, Steve and cabin neighbor slopped the mix around and gave excellent directions to the driver. I was rather impressed. It looked exhausting and really, really heavy. I mean, duh. Of course concrete is heavy once it's dry. It didn't occur to me it's heavy when it's wet. Again, really stupid since I have lugged buckets of the goop around on two separate occasions so I'm fully aware how hefty it is.

Lots of smoothing ensued and watering and finally eating and resting.

Day two consisted of framing. Again I did the handing and standing and holding. I didn't partake in climbing or nailing or heavy lifting. The frame was sheathed as was the roof area. Steve and I worked with the paint sprayer and installed bats (not the flying kind). Day three was the rest of the siding, painting, roofing and moving stuff back into the garage. A couple of days later, actual roofers came out and changed the shingles on the old part from brown to green and then shingled the new section with green. It looks amazing.

The following weekends involved a whole lot of cabinet building, shelf installation, organizing and labeling. It is amazing and now we can fit the Jeep inside.

A couple of weeks ago Mike installed valves so that we can turn the water on and off and drain the cabin from inside instead of having to wade through snow and get dripped on and dirty. A-MAZING!!

Post Thanks / Like
    As everyone here says, No pictures then it didn't happen. Now you just need to add on to the garage at your house. Add another bay with a 15 ft ceiling so you can fully utilize the lift. Better yet new house with a four care garage. Glad everything is going well. Happy New Year!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll try with pictures, but I'm not so good. Yeah, it'd be nice to have more garage room at the house, but I don't see that happening. Mike did drive Scoopy to work today though. I'm going to be anxious until both Mike and the car are locked safely in the garage tonight.
    IMG_2404.jpegIMG_2408.jpegIMG_2418.jpegIMG_2419.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    MRSQSL,

We miss you. How is Coupey and the Cabin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Coupey is too high for me to work on! We are moving this coming weekend and had to stack the cars through the whole selling process. Scoopy is under the lift and Coupey is on top. Mike and I have only been going to the cabin for overnight trips on weekends so that we can pack. It has taught us we can still enjoy the cabin, but spend some time at home. He has mentioned a couple of times in the last month that he is really itching to get back in the garage and help me with the car. I foresee good things as long as the move goes smoothly. I don't ever ever ever ever want to move again. The new house actually closed escrow this morning. Buying went relatively smoothly, but I can't say the same for selling. Talk about drama. We have been on an emotional roller coaster since the end of March. It'll be nice to be settled, but I'm really going to miss this house. We've lived here for 13 years. Sniffle. Anyway, I'm hoping we can start working on Coupey in a couple of months. There is some stuff we will need to do on the new house (along with unpacking) so I don't think I can have Mike's focused Coupey attention for awhile. We haven't done much with the cabin lately. Winter was a little harsh and spring started out very muddy. I don't anticipate doing much work on the cabin this year. I think it'll be Coupey's year (at least I hope so). Mike says I'm in charge of demo in the new master closet so that we can install a closet system. If that turns out to be entertaining, I'll write. I've never demoed a closet before. I don't want to jinx anything, but how hard could it be to remove a few poles and shelves? Thanks for asking about us!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! A new house. I hope everything has gone well with the move. I know you will put your special touch on your new home. Are you still in Corona or somewhere else. I hope you and Mike are closer to work. I will look forward to updates. Your posts are such an uplifting part of this site. My beautiful wife has just retired after 30+ years with the same law firm as an accounts manager. Me, I'm probably the stupid one still working after 42+ years with the state department of health in Mississippi. Maybe next year I will kick out and catch another wave. Might even build a Gen 3 Coupe. Here's wishing the best for you and your family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry it took me so long to reply. We are still in Corona, but closer to work. It's amazing when Mike calls to tell me he's leaving work and then he shows up 30-45 minutes later. We probably should've done this years ago. Congratulations to your wife on her retirement. I'm envious. You should build a coupe. Everyone should build a coupe. Oh wait, maybe I should stop telling people what to do and take my own advice. Poor Coupey.

We haven't been doing any work at the cabin that would make for an interesting story. We have been busy with pine needle cleanup. We did Dan's as well and discovered a rattlesnake in the process. Mike was so calm he tricked me into being calm and I actually walked towards it a little (don't worry, I was still about 12 football fields away - ha, ha). We had nothing to kill it with (which I was actually happy about because I'm not a fan of killing anything), so it lived to see another day (hopefully not us again). It was big and scary and shouldn't exist. It made noise. It slithered. I liked nothing about the experience and I refused to go in that general area for a couple hours. I worked on the other side of Dan's massive yard. Anyway, we finished his, but ours is still a work in progress.

We went down the mountain Saturday to take Alyssa back home (she got called into work) and left the dog and bird (oh, we have a bird now). We were headed back when our cabin neighbors texted to say there was a fire. I was driving, so Mike pulled out his phone and looked it up. Yup. I couldn't understand how a fire could be burning in the same place the last fire burned. What is burning?! They shut down the roads leading in, so we figured we were going to have to take the excessively long way around. Fortunately, the firefighters were on the ball and got it out quickly enough that they opened the main road before it was an issue. Thankfully the neighbors up there are good with our animals and could've gotten in and rescued them. I didn't like that experience, though. What I did find much more enjoyable was an evening in the observatory that night. We got to see Saturn and Jupiter and Ring Nebula. Wow. Just wow. Of course we didn't get to bed until after 2:30am, but totally worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    MRSQSL,

Just keeping in touch. Ever since the news of the fires in CA I have been concerned. I see where some areas in Corona were evacuated. I pray everything is OK with you and your family. How about the new home and the cabin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for thinking of us. The first fire was really close. Too close. My son's school was the evacuation center and the neighborhood next to ours was evacuated. Thanks to the amazing firefighters, we were able to make it through with no evacuations in our little area, but a whole lot of ash and a lot of fear (at least on my part). The second fire started in essentially the same spot, but the winds were really strong and blew it away from us. I was super happy about that, but incredibly sad for the people that lost their homes. I guess it's still burning, but we can't see the smoke from here anymore.

Mike is still having major back issues. Surgery will be in January. In the meantime, he refuses to sit still which probably makes it worse. No matter what I say, he still fixes and improves things around the house. He got around to working on the lift a couple of weeks ago. It is now fully installed and functional. Coupey went for a few up and down rides. While Mike did that, I worked on my knight. I have a suit of armor, but he can't stand unaided. Mike and Steve welded up a "skeleton" for him and I've been padding it. Let's just say I pad skeletons as well as I work on cars. It's extremely frustrating at times, but satisfying when his armor fits well against the puffy foam. I would guess a couple more hours and he'll be fully upright. I'm hoping he eventually finds his way into the house. Anyway, while I was doing that and Mike was working on the lift, Steve was changing the spark plugs on his Buick. We are getting closer to getting that thing operational. Of course it really would've helped if the parts store had given him all the same spark plugs instead of a hodgepodge. He got that situated along with another dead battery. That car kills batteries. At least there was a warranty this time. As for the cabin, we haven't done much work on it, but Mike did start pulling down some of the hideous wood paneling the last time we were up. I think the plan is for all three of us to tackle that room this weekend. It would be nice to get it insulated and looking snazzy before the first snow. He has to do a bunch of wiring, though. Electricity scares me, so I'll make myself look really busy somewhere else while he does that.

The incredibly sad news is that Dan sold his cabin. He won't be up on the mountain much longer. We tried and tried to talk him out of it, but he's on a mission. He will be sorely missed. Talk about a massive loss for the community.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wish I knew he was selling, I love it up there.

Glad to see you are getting moved in "fer reals" and glad you weren't near the fire.

If you guys ever want to do another build party, say the word!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Dave . . . build party.

It's a bit of a hike from Vegas but post when and where and I'll try to be there . . . being retired helps with "spur-of-the-moment" scheduling.
    I'll even bring some "refreshments" for the host(s).

Good to hear you guys are OK and skipped the fire part of California.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 10-12-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    We really didn't know Dan was selling until it was too late. Would've loved to have had you as a neighbor. We met the new guy once (very briefly). He seems friendly enough, but I'm not sure that he's a tinkerer. He makes some kind of vegan soup. I'm hoping I get to taste it one day, although I'm far from a vegan.

I think a build party would be great, but I'm not sure when or what we'd work on yet. I can't really remember where we left off. I think it had to do with belts. I will definitely get the word out when the time is right. Doc - you HAVE to be there. You aren't allowed to miss it.

I'm so sorry about the tragedy in Vegas. I'm relieved to know you are okay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie & Mike,

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! Here's wishing you a very festive holiday season. May God keep you and yours safe and happy.

Festus

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

We have some big plans for the cabin. If everything goes well, there should be lots of updates this next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have some big plans for the cabin. If everything goes well, there should be lots of updates this next year.
    There better be!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, ha. Well, Mike just had surgery and is recovering, so give it another month or so (assuming we still don't get snow).

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, ha. Well, Mike just had surgery and is recovering, so give it another month or so (assuming we still don't get snow).
    I talked to Mike today via text and got an update that he went in to work today, for the first time since surgery, for a half day. Great to see him back on his feet! Can't wait for you to get back to the Coupe build.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, he did go back for the first time. He has been working from home off and on since surgery. It's hard to get him to sit down and relax so he can heal. Yesterday was also the first time he'd had to take pain pills in awhile (too much standing at work). He was supposed to take 5-6 weeks off, but I only managed to keep him out of the office for two weeks. The coupe is still in the plans. In fact, Mike was laying in the recovery room and one of the first things he said to me was that he was ready to go home and work on the coupe. Ha, ha. Yeah, maybe the first step should be getting the IV's removed and making an attempt at standing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ../He was supposed to take 5-6 weeks off, but I only managed to keep him out of the office for two weeks. The coupe is still in the plans. In fact, Mike was laying in the recovery room and one of the first things he said to me was that he was ready to go home and work on the coupe. Ha, ha. Yeah, maybe the first step should be getting the IV's removed and making an attempt at standing.
    He should be really careful. It would be horrible to deal with a setback because he decided to push it too soon. Put your momma bear suit on and confine that man until he HEALS!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Believe me, I'm trying. The doc did give him permission to work 4 hours a day, three days a week. Of course he worked longer than that yesterday and paid the price. I think/hope he learned a valuable lesson and will take it easy tomorrow. He swears he can drive himself, but he isn't allowed to drive for at least three weeks, so I'm putting my foot down on that. I have all the keys and he isn't going anywhere without me. He is home today, but is going to a short meeting this afternoon. Fingers crossed he lets me bring him home after 4 hours of work tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jules-

My best to you and Mike. I hope his recovery goes speedily, and without incident!! Please have him take it easy, so that he can work his tail off later!! HA

We all look forward to your updates and progress. All the best!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope his recovery is incident free as well. Thanks!

If you ask him, he'll say I have lists and lists of things for him to do. I don't. Just help me with the coupe. That's it.

Post Thanks / Like
    All my best you and Mike. Take care of him. You know that men on the mend are the worst cry babies there are. I do not envy him in any way except for his loving wife and children. Hope you are able to get back on the coupe soon. Tell him not to rush it we don't mend as quickly the older we get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. He has actually handled recovery far better than I would've expected. I'm really impressed. Well, except for the part where he ignores everything I say and everything the doctor says and tries to do everything he shouldn't do. I think that's true with most men. You are stubborn creatures (said with love...mostly).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike is doing extremely well. I mean he should've had surgery years ago. I'm thrilled. I think he mostly believes he's invincible now and therefore has taken on some projects that I would've preferred to avoid. In fact, there is one in particular coming up in a couple of weeks that has me somewhat concerned. Not in his ability, but in...well...you'll see.

So Mike decided we needed to do some more cabin remodel. Fine. I'm good with that. The back is still mostly untouched. I was a little surprised with his plan to move the closet, make a hallway and push out the back for a bedroom. What, a bed in the living room isn't the optimum configuration? The hallway looks amazing. He installed a couple of pocket doors and modified every surface except the floor (one day we'll sand those down and stain). I'm supposed to take down the doors and sand and paint or stain those. I'm avoiding that project. I'm lazy.

Anyway, the next step was going to be a bathroom remodel. The closet and pushed out bedroom can wait a bit. Now this is the only project (besides the kitchen when we first bought the cabin) that I really really really really really really really care about. I strongly dislike the bathroom. It's as clean as it could possibly be, but it still gives me icky shivers whenever I'm in there and I'd NEVER go in barefoot. Those feet are always covered. Eep. So the plan was to get all the materials ordered up so that we could begin the demo Memorial Day weekend. Mike did all his calculating and pontificating. We had several disagreements regarding the layout, but finally decided on a plan. We packed up to head home, grabbed hands and did our traditional walk around the cabin to make sure things are secure before the sad goodbye. La, la, la. La, la, la. Why is the ground a little wet? Now this is something we had noticed months ago as well, but it seemed like a freak thing. With that little dabble of liquid poking through the dirt right about where we assume the septic tank is, my mind suddenly thought up possible alternate scenarios. Maybe a bird vomited a little. Maybe the tree had an accident and leaked a little. Maybe a tiny cloud came through and only rained on that one square inch of ground. Maybe an earthworm exploded. Fortunately none of these suggestions made it out of my mouth so Mike had no idea how insane I actually am. He kicked at the dirt which I thought was a terrible idea. That just made more wet dirt appear. I couldn't come up with any reasons other than a septic tank issue. Crap (literally).

I know of two other cabins that had septic issues since we've been there and had to have the entire system replaced. I believe the cheapest was $8k. We can't possibly remodel the bathroom AND pay for a new septic. I made this loudly and abundantly clear to Mike (and anyone within a 12 mile radius). He calmed me down a tiny bit by telling me he would come up during the week and dig a little. Okay, but I made him pinky swear he wouldn't order a single thing for the bathroom until we had this sorted. Now that I think about it, he never actually agreed. Just kept telling me not to worry. He had this handled.

As promised, Mike travelled up to the cabin mid week and dug. And dug and dug and dug and dug and dug and dug and dug. It wasn't that the septic cover was deep. It wasn't. He actually impressed me by finding it almost instantaneously. I wasn't there so I suppose that could've been a lie. Hmmmmm...skeptical face. The problem was that "cover" is sort of a strong word. It was a bunch of pieces of cut up railroad ties. Those are heavy and especially immovable after 50+ years of being in the exact same spot. The cabin was built in the 20's, but I suspect the septic was not part of the original plan. No clue when that actually arrived. That's beside the point, though. What I'm trying to say is he uncovered the tank. I was a little hesitant to look at the picture he sent, but it was surprisingly not stomach churning. Then again, that's probably because smell doesn't translate through photos (thank you very much lagging technology). A couple of the cabin neighbors were out doing their own projects and came down to help unstick the railroad ties and give their opinions on the situation. Turns out they both had to replace their systems recently. I had only known about one.

The next message I got was that it needed to be pumped and someone was coming that afternoon. How did I not know how outrageously expensive pumping is????? Then again it has to be a job that very few people would be excited about so paying just about any amount is better than doing it yourself (visualizing myself out there with a bucket and a ladle). The pumping went well and the tank was deemed to be in excellent condition which surprised everyone. What didn't appear to be so amazing was the leach field (or leech field - not really sure - going to call it LF instead). It's not that you can see a LF, but if the tank is fine then it sort of implies the field is bad. The guy said he'd have is father come out and quote, but was guessing it would be about $3500. Please remember I was not there for that proclamation, but when Mike shared the news with me, I nearly fell out of my chair. I had to have misunderstood. I mean the tank should be expensive and our tank is fine. Mike convinced me to wait patiently for the estimate while I kept screaming at him we can't do the bathroom remodel too.

Days passed. We went up to the cabin this last weekend. We had seen the guy on the camera, so we know the father came out. The quote hadn't arrived, so I was getting a little concerned. By Sunday morning (Happy Mother's Day), I had pretty much decided he had forsaken us. In the meantime, Mike assured me we could probably continue to use the cabin as usual for at least a month before the tank would fill up and we'd have an issue, but cautioned that we should at least make an attempt at conservation. While I strongly agreed, all this did was actually make me feel a sense of panic and that I needed to use the restroom every 30 minutes or so. I didn't, but the horrible feeling of distress was there pretty much constantly. So after a couple of hours had passed on Sunday, I declared we needed to go home. It was about this time the quote arrived. Mike told me he had good news and he had bad news. The good news was that we could do the bathroom remodel as we'd be doing the septic ourselves. The bad news was that the quote was $5000 without a new tank and $7000 with. The extra bad news was that we could either pay this or we could do it ourselves. Ummmmmmm...frugal me shrieked he absolutely had to do it and clean me shrieked there was no way on God's green earth I was going anywhere near that septic system. Since I couldn't have it both ways, Google was my only option. I pulled out my iPad and began researching. Now Mike, being much calmer and infinitely more prepared, had apparently already googled septic repair and had an idea of what was possible, required and even advisable on the subject. His hesitation was that it would be a butt ton of work and require heavy equipment rental, gravel truck delivery and time away from projects he really wanted to do. The poo factor wasn't even a concern on his radar. He sticks his ungloved hand down between the seats and the center console in used cars. I'm vomiting in my mouth at the thought. He'll touch anything!!!!! What is wrong with him??????

After a lot of upset sighing, I decided to stop reading about how the LF is the most expensive part of a septic system. Jerks. Mike suggested maybe something was clogged and we should run down to town and rent a rooter from the hardware store and also get some septic chemicals. We could root around and see if anything was clogged and then throw the chemicals in and let them marinate for a couple of weeks. I figured that would be less than $100 and if it saved us thousands, it would be worth it.

With equipment rented and set up by the septic hole, I stood back while Mike turned the machine on. He cautioned me not to touch anything in the area and that he would just handle the whole thing. Yeah, but I couldn't leave him to suffer alone and what if he got hurt and got poo in the wound. He'd die before he could call for help (maybe not, but it felt like the kind of situation where he shouldn't have to be alone). Did I mention Happy Mother's Day? It looked like a torturous process and he appeared to be in pain from the awful angle he had to contort into. I'd say about 30 minutes passed. Only a little poopie liquid sloshed through the air a couple of times. I wasn't going to race over and give him a hug, but I did poke his drink at his mouth occasionally. All in all it wasn't that bad from a spectator point of view. He thought he had hit a clog almost instantly, but he just couldn't break through after the half hour of trying. Either the pipe had collapsed (was metal on the side we could see, so very real possibility), it was clogged with a solid gob of excrement or the pipe turned and the snake wouldn't traverse the corner.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was hot and I think both of us were frustrated, but rather than just throwing in the towel (or rather chemicals in this case) and calling it a day, Mike suggested digging down to the pipe to see what could be seen. He could rule out two of the three possibilities that way. And if it turned out to be the clog, chemicals to the rescue. Digging, digging, la, la, digging, la. More railroad ties and then flat wood. More wood. Lots of dirt. Pipe!!! Even more exciting, it was black PVC piping. Okay, so apparently someone had gotten in at some point and replaced it. That is good news. It seemed fully intact, so a collapse didn't look likely. Digging more to follow the pipe. Where did the pipe go? Odd. Okay, so it either turned or...no clue what the other option would be. More digging. What is that round thing? Oh no. Oh. This isn't good. Chemicals would definitely not help. So good news/bad news. Good news is that our LF did not fail. Bad news is that we do not have a LF. What we have is a pipe that goes out say 6' from the tank outlet and then turns DOWN. Yes, down. Below the open end of the pipe is a bucket. No, it is literally a bucket. Not lying. Our LF is a pipe with a bucket. The bucket doesn't even have a lid, mind you. The wood was supposed to protect the opening presumably. This might have been a fine idea had the pipe not been sticking up above the bucket so that there was no flat place to lay the wood. Said bucket was full of things we don't discuss as well as rock and dirt and pieces of bark. Angry face. Best guess is that when they replaced the pipe, they disconnected it from the original LF and used the bucket as a substitute. I have no words.

So the new Memorial Day weekend project is digging ourselves a LF. Now I realize Mike is doing 99.98% of the work, but I still have the right to complain. I could've had a bathroom. Instead, I'm paying a yet unknown amount of money to have a LF. You can't really tell guests to flush the toilet to see how amazing the new septic lines are. You know? It's really not an aesthetic improvement. It won't even affect performance (I assume). It is definitely a necessary evil, though. Mike has the backhoe thing rented and the gravel truck will be coming by as well. He has an excellent plan in place as we do have large trees and a slanted area so there are obstacles to the 50' x 3' x whatever foot area that's needed. He has this all thought out and prepared. I am thankful beyond words for his strength, wisdom, abilities and willingness to do this. It will save us several thousand dollars. I'm so incredibly sorry he has to do it and I'm also very sorry my bathroom remodel is going to have to wait. In the long run, it's better to have a system that isn't going to back up into the newly remodeled bathroom. So the moral of the story is that earthworms probably didn't explode if you find a wet spot near your septic tank and you should probably prepare yourself for bad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can actually do a leach pit instead. You'll have to buy the "seepage pit" but it's a hell of a lot less work than digging an entire field.

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.
    http://blazerseptic.com/septic-101.html
    Frank

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast