Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Exhaust heat shields...

Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust heat shields...

What have you put on your side pipes for heat shields? Where did you buy them? Cost?? Thanks for the input!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using DrummerMike's stainless units. They.... are.... the... bomb. I left them in the brushed finish Mike supplies...

Rick
    Lodestone Bililetworks
    Custom Fluid Line Clamping Systems and Custom Coatings
    http://www.lsbilletworks.com

FFR5308R

Post Thanks / Like
    jet hot ceramic coating - it works
    FFR cobra
    RCR Superlite
    RCR 917
    04 Cobra/Z06/Diablo/bunch of other junk

Post Thanks / Like
    Second vote for DrummerMike's shields. It's important to add this protection for your passengers. Ironically, my daughter burned her leg badly about 6 hours after I placed my order. You don't want that on your conscience. Mike can make them in polished stainless or steel with ceramic coating to match your sidepipes.
    Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter

Owner of FFmetal.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I cermaic'd the pipes as well. My heat shields get warm to the touch but nothing that will remove layers of skin. The section I am concerned about most is the front end of the pipe where a little kid in a parking lot might bump into them.
    Rick
    Lodestone Bililetworks
    Custom Fluid Line Clamping Systems and Custom Coatings
    http://www.lsbilletworks.com

FFR5308R

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good, and if it save burns...Great !
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Third vote for DrummerMikes's shields ; nice quality ; gentleman and delivered like he wrote me. Less than 300$ delivered in Quebec, Canada
    a Quebec-Canadian driver from Saint-Georges-Beauce
    FFR Mk4 complete kit with no used parts
    351w stroker 427 (538hp), this is the specs of my motor
    some pictures HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a "The Pipes are Hot" heat sleeve on the passenger side whenever I give rides to children, women and unsophisticated riders (meaning ones that might overlook staying clear of the pipe). I like that the insulated sleeve even covers the discharge end of the pipe. Notice that end of the exhaust pipes extends past metal heat shields. I have an ulterior motive as well, in that I assist these passengers with the fit of their belts, and with their release as well when the ride is over. Before buying my MKII several years ago (2004), I rode in a friend's MKI and noticed he had a few paint chips on the top of the passenger door. That, he said, had been caused by passengers flipping off their shoulder belts, with the metal belt adjustment piece hitting the door and chipping the paint. With these same passengers with whom I use the heat sleeve, I always come around the car and help them out of the vehicle at the end of a ride: they never touch the sleeve. I like that this works without adding bulk to the diameter of the side pipes. I have to be careful about not leaving the sleeve on the pipe when I start the car and leave: that blows the sleeve clean off! I have had to retrace my steps to retrieve the sleeve a few times, but no one has ever burned themselves on my pipes with this technique.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a nice welding blanket to lay over the pipes for people getting in and out.....cheap and will be easy to sew up some sleeves.....I just haven't done it yet.

I do like the shields thought, and may go that way anyway!
    FFR 6203 Roadster, Full EFI 302 w/TrickFlow Top End Kit, IRS, Insured, Inspected, Tagged and Titled, Paint and Interior done...just buttoning up the details!

Post Thanks / Like
    DrummerMikes in black ceramic $265. incl. shipping. Very easy to install. Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/