Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: mendeola transaxles update

Post Thanks / Like

mendeola transaxles update

Seeing I just found out the the Navy Seal Unit 6 team is now having a mockup of the Mendeola building being constructed, I am afraid that is not a good sign that we will be seeing our transaxles this month.
    Last edited by fact5racer; 05-04-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    Seeing I just found out the the Navy Seal Unit 6 team is now having a mockup of the Mendeola building being constructed, I am afraid that is not a good sign that we will be seeing our transaxles this month.
    LOL!!!! You think?
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    too funny!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even funnier if you know Mike Mendeola.

He more than likely would be one of the guys ON SEAL Team 6, as opposed to be sought by them!

Anyway, I've been down to Mendeola a couple times in the last month or so and ALL the benches are full of the FFR transaxles. Be assured that everyone at Mendeola is working overtime to get these gearboxes done, and done right.

Patience, patience.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like

from the desk of Mike Mendeola

FFR forum:

My name is Mike Mendeola, president of Mendeola Transaxles. This entry into the forum is to address the unfortunate delays concerning our SDR-5 STAGE1 transaxle. For those GTM owners anxiously awaiting their transmissions I sincerely apologies for any inconvenience that this situation may have caused you. Our mission is to get your car street ready in the least amount of time. We are working feverishly to accomplish this.

Our two major stumbling blocks currently, are completed gearsets, and ring and pinions. I am in constant contact with both manufacturers.We are working diligently to resolve these issues. We are confident in our ability to correct the problem. I have spoken to Dave Smith and assured him that I will have a new delivery date next week: 5-11-11.

Also in the conversation with Mr. Smith. We agreed that it would serve both companies well if I personally attended the FFR open house on June 11. I have the plane ticket, and I’m coming!!! I’ll be set up under the tent with a full display of SDR-5 Stage1 parts. Have any, and all questions ready. Both technical and business.

Thank you very much for you time and patience. See ya at the open house.

Mike Mendeola

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike, welcome to the forum and thanks for the update. It's refreshing to see and hear from proactive vendors. Make sure you look up Gary Cheney (fact5racer) when you get to the open house. Just in case you don't know who he is, here are a couple of pictures so you can pick him out of the crowd...

"Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, your just jealous of my boots!

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed to this post for the update.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice to get updates from the president of the company. That's class!
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    "I have spoken to Dave Smith and assured him that I will have a new delivery date next week: 5-11-11."

It is now the 14th, What's the "new" delivery date?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    So......are we ever getting an update?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome to the FF forum. It’s a pleasure to be part of America’s #1 kit car manufacturer. The quality of the cars and attention to detail speak for themselves.

With Mendeola’s 40 years of experience in the gear box industry, the marriage of the GTM and SDR-5 is a ‘gloved’ fit.

We continue to work with our vendors on streamlining the delivery of our first SDR production run. We are striving diligently to reduce the initial lead time. Our ring and pinion supplier has located an alternate source for heat treat and is finalizing the processing date. We will have the new delivery date as soon as we confirm processing dates with suppliers.

Mendeola will make every effort to provide quality gear boxes at the necessary price point.

For all those who will be attending the open house, I’ll see you there!!!

Regards,

Mike Mendeola

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Mendeola Transaxles; 06-10-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mendeola Powertrain, along with both ring & pinion and gear manufacturers, have ironed out our final challenges dealing with our current delivery issues. Both entities have ‘assured’ us (barring freak sun spot activity) that we can begin shipping July 30th.

We again apologize for any inconvenience this delay may have caused some of you. We continue to work on our customers behalf as rapidly as possible.

Thank you,

Mike Mendeola

See ya @ the open house this weekend!

Post Thanks / Like
    This was posted by Dave on a thread about the coupe rear glass. Looks like the wait is coming to an end.
    "Russ,

My long summer of discontent is rapidly coming to an end. We've got almost every single supplier issue worked out, what reamins is Mendeola (who asked for the first batch of cust names to ship to) and the rear glass hatch, that is being made by an American Supplier in good old Ohio!. I am really sorry for the delays and this whole Coupe hatch thing is going to make me so happy when they have all shipped. Dave "

Post Thanks / Like
    I sure hope that we start to get some GOOD news about our transaxles soon! So much for me testing at Mosport on May 2nd and 3rd!

Post Thanks / Like
    A quick update on SDR deliveries – We realize July 30th has arrived, but unfortunately the new 3.55 ring and pinions have not. We received an e-mail from our supplier Thursday saying that the gears had been delivered to grind. We have been told grinding will take 2 weeks. Lapping to match sets - 3 to 4 days. Once shipping has brought them to us - 4 to 5 days to test initial assembly and certify components roadworthy.
    We realize how annoying these delays have become. Trust me when I tell you, no one is more frustrated with this situation than I am. Projected shipping date for first unit: August 31st.

Thanks again for your patience,

Mike Mendeola

Post Thanks / Like
    Wish like hell I didn't sell that Porsche transaxle that I originally bought for my GTM.

If (and we all know how big that "IF" is) my transaxle is done by the end of the month, then add a week to ship it here, that gives me about 6 weeks, if that, to have my heavily sponsored GTM ready for shipping to Vegas for SEMA! I don't know about the rest of you, but I have to seriously start deciding within the next week to go shopping for a Porsche box or not. I am so financially screwed if I am not done for SEMA, a car that was supposed to not only appear at SEMA but was supposed to be track tested and sorted out beforehand. If I showed up on a jobsite that I was supposed to start FOUR MONTHS EARLIER I would have my *** handed to me! Like I said earlier, I am getting so tired of the gypsies in this business, whether it's bodyshops, mechanics, motor builders, and now transaxle companies. All I know is they all wouldn't last a month in the construction business here in New England.
    Last edited by fact5racer; 07-30-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    If (and we all know how big that "IF" is) my transaxle is done by the end of the month, then add a week to ship it here, that gives me about 6 weeks, if that, to have my heavily sponsored GTM ready for shipping to Vegas for SEMA!
    Does the car need to run at SEMA, or just look good?

Post Thanks / Like
    I promised KONI a "real" car, not a poser.

Post Thanks / Like
    What really bothers me is that the latest Mendeola post implies that the delay wasn't known until Thursday. If it's true, that displays absolutely unacceptable communications with their supplier. On the other hand, if Mendeola knew they weren't going to make the latest deadline but chose to wait until now to tell us, it displays absolutely poor communications with their customers. Neither is acceptable and, just like Gary said, if I had missed deadlines in my business the way Mendeola does, I would have had my *** handed to me. No...That's not quite true. I'd be out of business.

At this point I have no choice but to wait...again. However, I would expect at least a weekly status update and preferably twice weekly. That means calling or visiting the supplier and making sure things are on track for an August 31st deadline and letting us know what's going on. Honest and forthright information, good or bad, allows me to make decisions and is far better than false expectations. No more surprises!

Post Thanks / Like
    I probably don't have the same right to question this situation as builders such as Gary Cheney or Rick Williams. I went with the Porsche G50/03 5spd. But I have to tell you, I came very very close to sending the $7500.00 entry fee to Factory Five.

It's hard to imagine what could cause such delays for machine work like this. I understand that we are talking about precision parts, but it shouldn't take a year to create 50 to 100 ring and pinion sets. The only supplier delays that I've heard of recently, that made sense in terms of length of time, was for complex parts coming from Japanese suppliers after the Tsunami.

It's one thing to lay the blame on the suppliers, but you should have some reason that backs it up. So far, all that has been said is that the supplier is having issues...

There has been a good bit of money paid in advance, and in good faith, for these gearboxes. In many cases, the buyer has no choice but to sit and wait for the boxes to be delivered. I am not going to go into much detail, but there are other viable choices. Porsche and Recardo gearboxes are available. I think that there is another choice that is being offered by RCR. At least I've noticed that they're advertising their new gearbox in their print ads. No idea of the cost though.

The self-imposed deadline for shipment was today, 7/31. The boxes would be shipped by this date. To hear at 9:30 pm last night, on 7/30, that the new date is 8/31, leaves me wondering whether or not a similar message will be sent out at 9:30 pm September 30th.

I think that for those who aren't in a huge rush to get their gearboxes, this could still be a pretty good investment; understanding that it may be Christmas before you find out when it will actually ship. But I can certainly understand the frustration felt by those who are building against specific timelines. There is nothing worse than being told repeatedly that the last piece of the puzzle can't be had for another month. And then another, and another...

It's a shame really. This gear box appears to have the potential to be a HUGE plus for the mid-engine kit car world. And as a company, Medeola has a solid reputation for durable and reliable transaxles. So what is the real story with this initial hand full of gearboxes?

Again, I have no stake in this situation. I'm just sort of thinking out loud. Hopefully Mendeola can get this turned around ahead of their new 8/31 schedule. I'm sure that they realize that the people, who have been patiently waiting, deserve it.
    Last edited by The Stig; 07-31-2011 at 10:53 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the two month wait for my fuel cell was ridiculous.It kinda sounds like bought in Japan assembled in America.Whats the cost to cancel your orders and go else where.
    Anniversary Special,Dart Aluminum 427, AFR 225 outlaw heads,Howard Cams,Hillborn stack injection,Liberty Gears prepedTKO600, Five Link, ISIS Wiring,8.98 @151 with no power adders Photo album HTTP://photobucket.com/anniversary-car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
    Whats the cost to cancel your orders and go else where.
    Direct cost is nothing. Simply notify FFR (or in my case Whitby since I ordered my kit through them) and get your deposit back. But that's not the entire issue. Many have already bought the clutch, pressure plate, and t/o bearing plus IMI starter that are specific to this transaxle. At best, returning those items might incur return shipment cost but more than likely there'd be a restocking fee. To be honest, I personally haven't purchased that stuff yet because this whole transaction has smelled fishy for a while now. I've told myself to wait until the transaxle is in my grubby hands before making any more financial commitments. The real problem is what I'll call the "hassle factor." The GTM, if ordered with the Mendeola, had certain items like the adaptor plate deleted so these would have to be requested from Factory Five. Then there's the re-education regarding the Porsche transaxles and another time delay while finding a good used unit, shipping it to a vendor for modification, re-gearing 4th and 5th, etc. I don't want to go through all that if it's truly only going to be another month.

What it boils down to is that the smartest course of action is to wait...again. Gary has a specific deadline but for me, I keep thinking that another month isn't bad and isn't worth the hassle of changing direction. It's summer and I have plenty of other things keeping me busy. The problem is, another month keeps turning into another month, and another month, and another month. That's why I think honest communication is essential. It's impossible to make rational decisions without good information. Had I known it would take this long back when orders were first being taken I might not have done it. At this point though, Mendeola has me by the cajones. Heck, another month isn't going to kill me. I just wish I could believe that it is truly only another month. There isn't a whole lot of credibility left.

Post Thanks / Like
    This sounds like what's called "poor crisis management" in my field.. Time for discounts, refunds, and expedited custom parts for initial customers, if one would like to attract any customers in the future.

Gary, my build won't suffer if you borrow my G50-20 while you wait (It's installed and all but in dire times, etc)..

Post Thanks / Like

Very Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by sasha View Post
    This sounds like what's called "poor crisis management" in my field.. Time for discounts, refunds, and expedited custom parts for initial customers, if one would like to attract any customers in the future.

Gary, my build won't suffer if you borrow my G50-20 while you wait (It's installed and all but in dire times, etc)..
    Wow!!! Now that is what I call friendship. That's a very kind gesture! Way to go Sasha!
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    In my line of work if we don't deliver to the customer on time we get slapped financially (e.g. the aircraft that's late gets taken out of the company's profit margin for the contract and essentially makes every thing done to that aircraft free) and then we risk loose the contract with the airline.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I spoke to Mike Mendeola (the manufacturer of the new GTM transmission) today and asked him respectfully for detailed ship dates as this project has been delayed beyond reason. This has been the single largest and worst production delay in the history of Factory Five Racing. Unfortunately we have committed to product based on the assurances we were given by Mendeola and are truly powerless to effect a difference. Still, after these numerous delays, Mike has given me new dates and I wanted to communicate them to you guys.

I also wanted to give you some options (other parts, refunds, etc) and assure you that Factory Five will stand by your decision 100 percent.

Mendeola Production Schedule as of Tuesday August 2, 2011:
    First 5 transmissions will be completed by Aug 31 and will ship September 1st and 2nd.
    Units will continue in production at 6-8 per week and ship as they are built (about 2 per day).

Customers will ship in the order we originally received the purchase. Payment will be made to Mendeola individually as units ship (we have customer money in a dedicated account).

Anyone who either does not want to wait, or does not believe this new ship date can receive a full refund no questions asked and accompanied by my sincere apologies.

Mike has stated that he has ALL the parts needed except for the 3.55 gears. He CAN ship 4.11 gear rear ends within 10 days, so if anyone is building a dedicated track car, we can change your order easily. I have personally tested a 4.11 gear and am confident that this gear is not going to be acceptable for street driving applications, still it is a viable option for track cars.

I am frustrated beyond words and am hopeful that Mike will meet this most recent production schedule. As a company, Factory Five Racing has done everything possible to get these units made and shipped, but this is 100 percent in the hands of the guys at Mendeola. I have suspended sales of these units and will not take any new orders until these parts are built, in stock and ready for delivery.

Mike also told me that prices will be going up on these units but that the orders placed to date are set. I apologize sincerely for this entire project and understand anyone who wishes to cancel their orders. Mike said that he is happy to speak to anyone with an order pending and his number is 619-710-8800.

I sincerely like the guys (Mike and Ian) at Mendeola. I understand production delays but cannot understand the repeated delays over and over and over. I am hopeful that they will unltimately succeed in this project and it seems they are very close (but it has seemed this way before).

Still, Mike has committed to new ship dates and we have come so far... I, and the staff here have investigated every transmission option imaginable. I give you my most abject and humble apologies.

Dave Smith
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave. We appreciate you touching bases with us on the Transaxles. It's very frustrating, but when we know you are doing all you can and communicating with us, that's meaningful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Thanks for the update in the situation. I'm sticking with the Mendeola. Is there any chance you guys can post a list of names in the order the Mendeolas were ordered. With this list and the amount of tranaxles being delivered per week we can have an idea of when to expect our individual orders to be filled.

Hugo

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry.........we don't have your transaxle, can't tell you when you'll get one and by the way,,,,we're going to raise the prices,,,,way to go Mendola!!! you guys are a piece of work, wonder how deep a hole you'll dig.....JMHO...Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what really makes me proud of the FFR Company and it's family of owners. Not only did Dave call me offering the transaxle out of the yellow car by the end of the month......TWO fellow GTM builders contacted me willing to allow me to use theirs until after the show!

$7500 for a transaxle
    $20,000 for a kit
    being part of the FFR family: PRICELESS!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can honestly say that this is a first for me to whitness in all of my years in the auto hobby scene. this just further reinforces my decision to join this tight knit community. I have been a member on other forums kit and genral auto related but this is honestly a first and it kinda makes me proud to see it. to dave you and your company have earned my respect both personaly and profesionally. to the members of this forum you also have earned my respect and admeration. its honestly not that often that this quickly i am drawn to a community.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow this is the best handled mess I have witnessed in some time... and iv seen a lot of mess over the years! well done Dave on your sincere words and care for your community.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendeola Transaxles View Post
    A quick update on SDR deliveries – We realize July 30th has arrived, but unfortunately the new 3.55 ring and pinions have not. We received an e-mail from our supplier Thursday saying that the gears had been delivered to grind. We have been told grinding will take 2 weeks. Lapping to match sets - 3 to 4 days. Once shipping has brought them to us - 4 to 5 days to test initial assembly and certify components roadworthy.
    We realize how annoying these delays have become. Trust me when I tell you, no one is more frustrated with this situation than I am. Projected shipping date for first unit: August 31st.

Thanks again for your patience,

Mike Mendeola
    It's been roughly two weeks since grinding was supposed to be complete. Has anyone at Mendeola been in touch with the supplier to make sure the supplier is on schedule? Are we going to be kept informed of status? This is the kind of communication that I'd like to see. Keep us informed. As I said in an earlier post, no more surprises please. I don't want to see another post on August 31st saying there'll be another delay.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Rick/Guys,

I just got back to FFR this am and will be speaking to Mike today. I know that Patti here has been in constant communication with him as we are at DEFCON1 with respect to this entire project. I was on a family vacation in Michigan and my mom fell and broke her hip (!), so it was spent shuttling kids around, hospital visits and arrangements... anyway, I'm plowing thru stuff today and tomorrow (so if you sent me a PM, I'll be on it shortly) and will let you know where we are. In a move of confidence, I sold Cheney my trans out of the Gen 2 GTM so that he could wrap up his KONI/SEMA car (also the one I was driving was the 4.11 rear, good for track but not great on the street) and I am sitting here with an empty engine bay waiting like all of you guys for my transmission. The minute we get it in I will be installing it and dropping the hammer on it with the new shifter... More as I know.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    Rick/Guys,

I just got back to FFR this am and will be speaking to Mike today. I know that Patti here has been in constant communication with him as we are at DEFCON1 with respect to this entire project. I was on a family vacation in Michigan and my mom fell and broke her hip (!), so it was spent shuttling kids around, hospital visits and arrangements... anyway, I'm plowing thru stuff today and tomorrow (so if you sent me a PM, I'll be on it shortly) and will let you know where we are. In a move of confidence, I sold Cheney my trans out of the Gen 2 GTM so that he could wrap up his KONI/SEMA car (also the one I was driving was the 4.11 rear, good for track but not great on the street) and I am sitting here with an empty engine bay waiting like all of you guys for my transmission. The minute we get it in I will be installing it and dropping the hammer on it with the new shifter... More as I know.
    Dave,

Thanks for that quick reply. I'm glad Gary can now move forward with his project. Hope your mom gets well soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave,
    So sorry to hear about your Mom, she will be in our prayers. Thanks for the feedback/update on the Transaxles, we hope all is on schedule.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave, Took me 6 hours and 1 pint of blood to get it out but it now has a nice home. My wife is upset saying it's gonna make a permanent impression in our mattress between us seeing I am storing it there in bed until my car is finished being painted over the next 3-5 days. Anyone know what number mattress setting a mendeola SDR takes ?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast