Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My Idea On Trimming Down the Doors, Hood, and Trunk

Post Thanks / Like

My Idea On Trimming Down the Doors, Hood, and Trunk

I started by using a marker to try and trim down my doors etc. The marker that I had basically was old and was not working. So, I dug around and found a compass which is normally used to draw circles. I took the pencil lead out of the one side and put the metal rod in it from a used 1/8" rivet. I cut the rod down and used the sharp side to scratch a line into the part to be trimmed. Then I used blue tape to create a crisp easy to see line to follow when sanding. It worked great. I only had to follow up with some minor adjustments and it was so much easier than trying to see the marker line. The compass helped to keep a consistant distance creating a nice even gap. I didn't have the compass tightened down so i have a few extra lines in the photo.

What are your thoughts? IMG_4454.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    It's what I used years ago when I did mine. The only thing I did different was put the tape down first then sanded to the pencil line.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it. I'll put that in my notes for later

Post Thanks / Like
    If my painter had used this technique I wouldn't have huge uneven door gaps. Thanks for sharing the tip.
    Mark III complete kit ordered 12/03/2007, received #6351 1/22/2008 Homemade mods: driver footbox extension with deadpedal and dimmer switch, widened passenger footbox, brake reservoir mounting bracket, under trunk storage box, custom dash and dash extension, heater forward box, custom glove box, under dash switch panel, Explorer motor carb conversion, first start 7/10/2010, off to paint (Performance Automotive) 11/20/2010, finally home 5/7/2011, Graduated 11/22/2011