Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 Torture Testing Videos

Post Thanks / Like

818 Torture Testing Videos

Everyone
    Please use this thread to post you 818 Torture testing.

This weekend we put the 818 through about 60 hard Autocross runs.
    She performed flawlessly.
    The car has about a dozen cone scars.
    I hope they will clean off easily.

Here is Mikes Last run of the day.
    Bob

Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 05-10-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice run, any I like the weather-proofing of the dash.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    All right Bob & Michael! I can see that Mike is definitely getting more comfortable, confident and agressive. Fun stuff!

Nothing that can go public just yet but CSCC hopes to be back in business real soon...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    All right Bob & Michael! I can see that Mike is definitely getting more comfortable, confident and agressive. Fun stuff! Nothing that can go public just yet but CSCC hopes to be back in business real soon...
    Jeff
    Great news Jeff,
    I got a bunch of cone scuff on the fiberglass. What ill clean that without dulling the finish?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    On cars I've used quick detailer to remove rubber marks. Not sure how it works on fiberglass.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Bug and tar remover works on my 818R for tire marks- Or Mothers R3 spray.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing abrasive Bob. Try the suggestions above and if that doesn't do it stop by the body & paint supply house and get some wax & grease remover.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Gosh, it looks like Mike blew the Doors off your 818!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veale View Post
    Gosh, it looks like Mike blew the Doors off your 818!
    Yes, the door, trunk, and hood were all blown off.

He also blew away my times by a lot.
    I was have a rough time holding a good line.

I am 56 and Michael is 17. You would think experience would beat youth. You would be wrong.

I'm still sore, 65 autocross runs, 6 hours out on the course.
    It least Michael is still sore also.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Here is my highlights reel from last Sunday... Although there wasn't much 'sun' to be seen... More of a drowning video than a torture video!

Oh, and at the 0:17 mark, you can see why FFR incorporated a 'dash close in panel'... Mine doesn't have one - clearly...!

https://youtu.be/tUSSUlD94lU

How does it go in the wet?? Like a Ballerina on an ice rink...!!

Lotsa fun as usual!

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    lol. that's one way to take a shower.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looked like a lot of fun. Nice save at the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice video, and some nice driving too (great recovery practice!) I am a little curious why you are driving the car in the rain with no top? Wont that water get in all sorts of places that you dont want and wreak havoc? I hope it doesnt! I am new to a lot of this, and would love to hear your rationale for not worrying about the water!

-Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    Nice video, and some nice driving too (great recovery practice!) I am a little curious why you are driving the car in the rain with no top? Wont that water get in all sorts of places that you dont want and wreak havoc? I hope it doesnt! I am new to a lot of this, and would love to hear your rationale for not worrying about the water!

-Ben
    Hi Ben,
    When it comes to water. Everything under the hood is waterproof. Some people even uses a pressure washer to clean their engine compartments.
    My Engine ECU is in a seal compartment behind the seat. My fuse box will be protected by the windshield and dashboard.
    I suspect my 818 will get caught in a bad rainstorm about once a month. So I am building my interior more like a boat then a car. (waterproof switches and such). The floor has slots it drain to let water drain out. I will keep a sealed bag in the car with an extra set of clothes.
    If you plan for unexpected rain storms. It's just part of the adventure.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post

-Ben
    G'day Ben,

Yep, valid question!

To be honest, I didn't expect the weather to be as poor as it was last weekend, with all indications suggesting it would just be occasional showers. This coupled with the desire to test out the handling characteristics on a wet track with lots of run-offs, led me to enter the event on the day. As it turned out, I had to pick my times to go out between the worst of the weather, but as you can see I did get caught a couple of times.

That said, I have spent a lot of time and effort 'waterproofing' the car, and after that day, I am confident I have succeeded in this endeavour and I should survive an unexpected downpour. Like most, I have tried to decide whether to make the car fully sealed, or indeed whether to drill some drain holes in the floor for those unexpected occasions, and after a week of drying the carpets, Im going with the latter! Really the car did very well weather-wise, with the only issue being the water ingress caused by the missing 'dash close off panel', leading to a wet hazard light switch and some uncommanded hazard light activations.

As Bob rightly says "Its all part of the adventure"!!