Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I saw this in an unfinished Roadster

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw this in an unfinished Roadster

I went to visit a local builder who is putting together his MK-IV and saw what first appeared to be an ABS unit on the drivers side "F"-panel. Looking closer, I found that it was a grease manifold with lines running to each zerk fitting on the entire front end. He also has one for the rear as well. Attach your grease gun to one fitting and lube every grease point on the entire front end of the car! He told me that his brother (or brother in-law) works for the company that services large multi-lube point machines and they use these.

Grease-02.jpgGrease-01.jpg

Thought is was pretty cool.....

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be very concerned that the grease would only flow to the path of least resistance.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    I would be very concerned that the grease would only flow to the path of least resistance.
    mike
    Exactly! I would not use such a setup, any fitting that has a higher resistance will never get any grease, same for the longest lines. Bad idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read in another thread recently (in which were highlighted similar concerns as above) that it somehow compensated for the longer runs and path of least resistance issues, and worked well.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG...complete overkill. That might take the cake for the most unnecessary feature I have seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah came up recently...looks like same setup... Not the best idea in my opinion unless something that needs greasing daily and can control flow to specific location...as Jeff mentioned...they will inevitably not all get greased do to path of least resistance

Post Thanks / Like
    No, overkill is the 12 volt automated pump and distribution systems used on a lot of heavy equipment today. The system is expensive ( up to $10,000), but on machinery documented savings pay the bill. At one construction company where I worked, a salesman brought volumes of case studies to show we could save money.
    The systems work very well when properly adjusted ( long circuits, short circuits, high or low resistance, all work). Our problem, is we wanted the operator to climb around the machine and grease it because then he's more likely to see cracks, leaks and other serious problem. The same is true for these cars and cars in general.
    As long as it starts when you turn the key, Americans have become completely blind to the machine that they trust their life to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doutie View Post
    No, overkill is the 12 volt automated pump and distribution systems used on a lot of heavy equipment today. The system is expensive ( up to $10,000), but on machinery documented savings pay the bill. At one construction company where I worked, a salesman brought volumes of case studies to show we could save money.
    The systems work very well when properly adjusted ( long circuits, short circuits, high or low resistance, all work). Our problem, is we wanted the operator to climb around the machine and grease it because then he's more likely to see cracks, leaks and other serious problem. The same is true for these cars and cars in general.
    As long as it starts when you turn the key, Americans have become completely blind to the machine that they trust their life to.
    EXACTLY!!!!

Just like a pilot doing a pre-flight walk, you should get "intimate" with your vehicle periodically. You will surprise yourself at what you find and be even more amazed at how well the car lasts and runs.

We used remote lube lines on lots of industrial equipment, like fans and fabric rolls on paper machines. Lube manifolds were on submarine for external items like rudder and stern planes bearings. On a manifold like the one in the OP pic, it would be simplest to just have a setscrew "valve" on each line. That way you could inject each location individually with the correct amount of grease. As much movement as some locations get, though, I have to wonder how long those nylon lines would last.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, a lot of trouble (and $$$) for something that only needs to be done once or twice a year.

Having said that, I've probably got several things (at least) on my builds that I wouldn't want pictured and critiqued on the forum. To each his own.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not saying that it is necessary, but the idea is good. We use them on ALL of the new farm tractors that the company buys and they work great.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    We use them where I work, automotive stamping plant, and they do work great when adjusted properly. I've seen some of those nylon lines in use for almost 20 years. But for a weekend car, no thank you. I'll stick to the KISS principal.
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73