Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Disable the Parking Switch?

Post Thanks / Like

Disable the Parking Switch?

As many Subie owners, I've left the parking light switch on, again! It's the "battery drain switch" on top of the steering column. To disable the switch I unplugged the connector, B69, at the bottom of the steering column. That was easy, I thought, and went on to other stuff for a few weeks. Today I spent a while trouble shooting the tail lights - test light, fuses, ground check, etc. - and eventually reconnected the parking light switch and the tails now work!
    Anyone know a way to disable the parking light switch? A jumper at B69?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Connect the Or and BR wires going into B69 together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Jaime, I'll do it in the morning.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    On our harnesses, we choose not to hook it up. Problem solved.
    Last edited by iWire; 05-18-2015 at 11:01 AM.
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about making it the hazard light switch.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, I agree that the parking switch should be the hazard switch. I looked at the two switches and saw that the parking switch has 3 wires and the hazard switch has a bunch so I gave up. Maybe someone can figure out how to make it work, but that's not me because electricity and wiring are not my friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    You'd need a couple of relays to use the parking switch as a hazard switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, Jaime, I'll drop the thought since all I know about relays are that one runner passes a stick to the next runner.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the InfinityBox for the switches and the lights, so all it needs is a simple 2 wire switch with one side connected to ground.

I remember reading the schematic thinking it was overly complicated, yet simplifying it is going to come at the cost of make changes to the harness and adding parts. Since you already have a hazard switch, easier to simply jumper around it an be done.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Jaime, disabling the parking switch worked perfectly. Thanks!
    Steve, your Infinity system will make lots of stuff possible with much less complexity. I used its predecessor, I-Squared, in my roadster and loved it. When I needed wiring for my 818 the Infinity system was not available so I spent lots of time and frustration dieting my donor harnesses. My console is crammed with wires. Yours will be nearly empty.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my trips to Scottsdale I need to buy you a beer to toast your running car.

As for the InfinityBox, it seems a well put together system. I'm also adding the battery kill switch they have that "should" turn off the power to the whole car if the car is parked too long or I leave something on. May have to follow your lead and test it with the parking lights The ECU and Dash will still use a lot of the original wires, but the front, back and dash "should" be pretty clean. I've seen some VERY clean installs on this site so the bar is pretty high.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    You'd need a couple of relays to use the parking switch as a hazard switch.
    Has anyone done this before? Anyone have a quick rundown?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just looked at it and it wouldn't be too difficult but you need to utilize the single pole parking switch as a double pole switch. As there is a circuit to the Hazard light control module (red line) which then provides power to a second circuit that connects the remaining wires together to the supplied power (green line). You can do so by putting a relay into the equation on the supplied power line (Green line) from the hazard light control module to activate that second circuit to supply them power. Which means that the relay has to enable the circuit between the other two connections i.e.) LgB, BY, BG need to be a complete circuit once the relay is activated.Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 2.01.03 PM.png

Mind you I am not electrician and I have not done this myself, so it would be recommended to have someone qualified to confirm this
    Last edited by iblackwe; 11-09-2016 at 04:16 PM.