FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tire and fender issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Tire and fender issue.

I'm getting ready to send my MKIV out for paint...and I noticed that the driverside front wheel looks like it is forward, not centered in the wheel well, and
    on right turns the tire will rub against fender... anyone else run into this, and what did you do ??

MKIV with standard rack & pinion, Ford Racing 302 Tremec 5 speed.... Basic non donor build. 17" x 9" Halibrands on front with Nitto 555 245 45 17 tires....

cobra.jpg
    Last edited by fordboy; 05-16-2015 at 09:10 PM. Reason: more info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure about the wheel looking like it is forward. But I do know that the MkIV body has an extra wide lip on the edge of the flare that needs to be removed.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    is your alignment done?
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    is your alignment done?

i had the alignment done when I got the body on and registered...was thinking about taking it back and asking if there was any adjustment in the a arms that might help.
    Last edited by fordboy; 05-17-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two things:

First as Erik mentioned, alignment. You'll want a minimum of 3 degrees positive caster along with 1/2 to 3/4 degree negative camber.

Second, when the wheelwell returns are trimmed and shaped during the bodywork process they'll go from this:

To this, which will greatly increase tire to body clearance.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help and like always, Thks Jeff a picure's worth a thousand words.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same issue with my MkIV some time ago (see my posts). Both rears and the RH front tires were properly centered in the wheel openings but the LH front was forward.
    I measured the wheelbase and the LH side was almost 3/4" longer that the right side. I contacted FFR about the lower arm being out of spec but was told they checked all the arms in stock and they all appeared normal/the same. The rear end is properly aligned and square with the frame.

I thought maybe I had made an error when I attached the body but it was pushed up as far forward as possible. The inner edge of the cowl (where it turns under) was hitting the dash panel. Also the rear of the door opening was exactly the same on both sides in terms of location of the door latch.

The only way I could get clearance was to change out the new 245 front tires with 235's. I also had to tilt the LH spindle back a little more than on the LH side so my alignment is not the same on both sides but the car amazingly steers straight.

You are fortunately that you found this out before painting. I discovered my when I pulled the car out of the garage for the first time to take some insurance pictures.

At this point, my only options would be to get an adjustable lower control arms so I could alter the position of the lower ball joint however since the car steers just fine, I have just left it as is.