Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: insurance guy 818

Post Thanks / Like
    What size wheels and tires are you currently using? Rubbing has been a big problem for the 818 unless you use specific sizes. 215/40/17 is the tire size recommended by FFR, and it barely fits. The wheel width and offset also will impact it.
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    15.jpg18.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
    What size wheels and tires are you currently using? Rubbing has been a big problem for the 818 unless you use specific sizes. 215/40/17 is the tire size recommended by FFR, and it barely fits. The wheel width and offset also will impact it.
    the tires currently on the car are the donor's , I quite honestly don't even know. I have a set of the FFR rims , I know they are larger then current so I will have to deal with this issue.
    here are the rubbing pics.

I spent the weekend working on the brake lines. Got them all completed and decided I did not like the way they looked so I ripped them out. I am practicing bending lines until I like my results.
    I am really looking for perfection and that is impossible.
    1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd suggest picking up some copper nickel brake line, it is a lot easier to work with, can be cut to length, won't rust and allows you to go with metric brake fittings instead of using those SAE to metric adapters. This will however require a brake flaring tool and metric brake fittings.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-325-3-16...101752&vxp=mtr
    http://store.fedhillusa.com/22nutpack.aspx

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    I'd suggest picking up some copper nickel brake line, it is a lot easier to work with, can be cut to length, won't rust and allows you to go with metric brake fittings instead of using those SAE to metric adapters. This will however require a brake flaring tool and metric brake fittings.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-325-3-16...101752&vxp=mtr
    http://store.fedhillusa.com/22nutpack.aspx
    I started the front brake system and noticed a large gap under my master cylinder. I had to stop the brake lines and remove the master cylinder because I left off the cover plate. 2 steps forward , 1 1/2 steps back. need to powder coat it and reinstall master cylinder. Liked another posters idea of using 90 degree hose as rear transition for the cooling tubes. 730151.jpg730152.jpg730153.jpg730154.jpg730155.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    finished the cooling tubes, I like the way it looks with the 90 degree bend in the rear. I secured the front flex tubes to the frame away from potential contact with battery ( thanks Tamra). I completed the brake and clutch lines, but I am still not happy with the way the lines run and bend in the rear. I will be changing that. I attached the gas pedal direct to the front firewall using part of the supplied ffr brace . I tried to line it up as best I can with the predrilled hole. it is off and
    will probably drill my own hole that lines up more centered with the pedal. Anyone feel that will be an issue?
    1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased Marson RN-1 rivnut setter. It was less than $100.00 with different size mandrels. Having the ability to remove a piece and replace it seems to me a better option than the rivet.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. A good riv-nut tool is WELL worth the price. I've used mine a lot already and mostly for modifications on things I've added that didn't come with the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Just an aside. If you will be putting it on the road, you might check your state requirements on brake lines. Here in CT, they specify steel. I had started down the copper nickel route until advised otherwise. If you already checked your state out well, never mind and keep having fun with the build!
    " That which is rightly done, however humble, is noble." Sir Henry Royce

SN 46 In the building 10/4/13.
    Go Cart 10/20/16
    Coupe Conversion
    EJ205 Wagon donor

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using the ffr lines
    I believe they meet nj regs
    I have been through the nj licensing on an electric conversion, it's the same process.
    You need to make sure everything is secure and nothing hanging.
    They are nuts for leaks and lights

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcintyre View Post
    Just an aside. If you will be putting it on the road, you might check your state requirements on brake lines. Here in CT, they specify steel. I had started down the copper nickel route until advised otherwise. If you already checked your state out well, never mind and keep having fun with the build!
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I haven't seen any laws in VA on steel brake lines so I'm thinking I'll be OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    throttle cable attached to pedal through front firewall. will hold off securing it until I have the firewall and wiring done. My harness is at I-wire, still about six weeks out.1.jpg2.jpg

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. You may want to check your clearance on the brake master cyl. top line. That area is crucial in the fitting of the windshield fiberglass cowl. In my experience this has to be just right for it to work. You may be OK but it is worth a check IMO. Keep up the good work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Looking good. You may want to check your clearance on the brake master cyl. top line. That area is crucial in the fitting of the windshield fiberglass cowl. In my experience this has to be just right for it to work. You may be OK but it is worth a check IMO. Keep up the good work!
    thanks
    I will see what that clearance is.
    I did not extend anything higher than the master cylinder cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    finished the clutch lines
    Does anyone know where to route the overflow from the radiator cap? There is another line on the other end of the radiator that I ran to the expansion tank on top of the engine. This looks like I can cap it off.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by insurance guy View Post
    finished the clutch lines
    Does anyone know where to route the overflow from the radiator cap? There is another line on the other end of the radiator that I ran to the expansion tank on top of the engine. This looks like I can cap it off.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
    It originally went to the overflow tank. The tank on top of the engine is the degas tank. Make sure you did the VCP coolant mod. see threads.

Post Thanks / Like
    It originally went to the overflow tank. The tank on top of the engine is the degas tank. Make sure you did the VCP coolant mod. see threads.
    thanks
    planning on doing the mod.
    I already have one line from radiator to the degas tank, can I cap this one?

Post Thanks / Like
    been working on fuel lines and finishing brake lines. I am stumped on how most of you were able to attach the proportion valve to the frame.
    I was unable to maneuver under the frame so I just attached it to the side with a small bracket.
    1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks
    planning on doing the mod.
    I already have one line from radiator to the degas tank, can I cap this one?
    I capped the line on the passenger side of the radiator on mine. I then ran the VCP coolant mod hose to the degas tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    I capped the line on the passenger side of the radiator on mine. I then ran the VCP coolant mod hose to the degas tank.
    There are 2 overflow at radiator. What did you do with second one?

Post Thanks / Like
    need as much help as there is to offer. I thought I was done with the brake and clutch lines until I pumped the system with air and put soapy water at each connections. Quite a bubble bath.
    depressing to say the least. I guess I am not as good as flaring brake lines as I thought.
    pulled off all the lines and will start from scratch. I guess I will try to make all bends and connections with as long of lines that I can fine with flared ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    need as much help as there is to offer. I thought I was done with the brake and clutch lines until I pumped the system with air and put soapy water at each connections. Quite a bubble bath.
    depressing to say the least. I guess I am not as good as flaring brake lines as I thought.
    pulled off all the lines and will start from scratch. I guess I will try to make all bends and connections with as long of lines that I can fine with flared ends.
    I to went through the leaky brake line phase.
    Tried 2 or 3 cheap flaring tools. Same results.
    Bought an Eastwood
    http://www.eastwood.com/professional...ring-tool.html

Two 818 with abs. About I'm 32 for 32 flares.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    I to went through the leaky brake line phase.
    Tried 2 or 3 cheap flaring tools. Same results.
    Bought an Eastwood
    http://www.eastwood.com/professional...ring-tool.html

Two 818 with abs. About I'm 32 for 32 flares.
    Bob
    thanks
    I purchased the tool, I am hoping my wife does not read the forum. I thought I was the only one with leaky lines. I never see any of these issues on other build threads. I guess they only show the good. I like seeing the good and bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Read the old threads, almost everyone has a problem using the old style double bar flare tool, I wasted many pieces of brakeline... and with my early kit they didn't even send the correct lengths so that you had to cut them. I gave them a list of the exact lengths req. in September of 2013!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    work continues while I await the new brake flaring tool from Eastwood. I got lucky as it went on sale right after I purchased it and they honored the sale price.
    Fuel Filter and water overflow tank installed. Placing and trying to figure out shifter placement. I had all aluminum pieces powder coated so things are really tight and need to be filed to fit.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    As I am awaiting replacement brake hardware to repair the errors I made, I was able to move ahead with a few other items. I installed degas tank and secured radiator. Ran fuel lines. Trying to get correct shifter location and install transmission tunnel. Looks like that needs to be adjusted with grinder.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg
    818S #343 Delivered 5-20-2015
    First Start 10-17-2015
    First Drive 10-17-2017 ( 100 feet back and forth until I can get off driveway)
    First Drive with a non leaking tuned motor 11-12-2015 (wow)
    Passed NJ State constructed inspection 8/30/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    finally I have some success
    I used a electric shear and removed the bend on the transmission tunnel that was not allowing it to seat properly. I thought I would have to really hack it up.
    secured shifter1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg
    First Start 10-17-2015

Post Thanks / Like
    I needed to trim lots of things on my center tunnel sheet metal, mostly the little tabs that hang down.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I needed to trim lots of things on my center tunnel sheet metal, mostly the little tabs that hang down.
    Ditto! But I just ended cutting the top of mine off, since I have a k-tuned shifter and Lokar ebrake handle. I riveted the sides in, but the top pieces will be removable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Ditto! But I just ended cutting the top of mine off, since I have a k-tuned shifter and Lokar ebrake handle. I riveted the sides in, but the top pieces will be removable.
    did you rivet through the floor? I really hate to put more holes down there
    First Start 10-17-2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    did you rivet through the floor? I really hate to put more holes down there
    Yes, I did. I make a habit of putting a dab of silicone on each rivet, but I'm not too concerned about water intrusion, as my 818 will have no roof and be fair weather only (SoCal).

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I did. I make a habit of putting a dab of silicone on each rivet, but I'm not too concerned about water intrusion, as my 818 will have no roof and be fair weather only (SoCal).
    Interesting,
    Here in Ohio, during the spring and fall I expect to get caught out in the rain about once per week. I'm adding drain holes in the floor.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    It never rains in Southern California :cool. Lol

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrBT...iBoMgnRFtYbdc-

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrBT...iBoMgnRFtYbdc-
    Where do you pull this stuff from? lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm cursed with remembering insignificant trivia.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm cursed with remembering insignificant trivia.
    MEANWHILE
    the lack of water is causing the deep drilling of water wells causing the underground aquifer to collapse. Some places are sinking at 1 foot per year.
    First Start 10-17-2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, let's hope the El Nino does come this winter... we need water!

I think I can get away with not weather-proofing my 818, as our rain patterns are pretty predictable. As long as the Quattro's not in the shop during rainy season, I'll be OK!

Anyway, sorry for the hi-jack, back to insurance guy's build...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, let's hope the El Nino does come this winter... we need water!

I think I can get away with not weather-proofing my 818, as our rain patterns are pretty predictable. As long as the Quattro's not in the shop during rainy season, I'll be OK!

Anyway, sorry for the hi-jack, back to insurance guy's build...
    I am attaching transmission linkage, the shaft moves in and out I cannot seem to get it to rotate.
    any thoughts?
    I hope I am explain it correctly
    First Start 10-17-2015

Post Thanks / Like
    The shaft on the back of the trans should rotate freely but with some spring force to pull it back to middle position.
    1. Did you try changing gears in the donor? Did it work then?
    2. How are you moving the shaft? Using the FFR shifter and cables? Try rotating the shaft by putting a screw driver through the hole in the shaft and twisting it.
    Last edited by STiPWRD; 08-21-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's three in/out positions. In, nuetral, out. It can be difficult to pull it by hand and get it to the middle position as it likes to jump all the way in or out. It only rotates in the middle.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    There's three in/out positions. In, nuetral, out. It can be difficult to pull it by hand and get it to the middle position as it likes to jump all the way in or out. It only rotates in the middle.
    thats exactly what I needed to know. I purchased the engine and trans from Wayne at VCP. I had him change clutch for me, so I am confident he checked the working of the linkage.
    I am able to move it in and out. I will work carefully and look for neutral.
    Thanks guys
    First Start 10-17-2015

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast