BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trunk handle/latch options

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Trunk handle/latch options

I have the external door handle hardware and would like to install vintage chrome trunk handle and latch. Is there any good options for this or any experience out there fitting an external handle and latch on a 33 HR?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rcotner View Post
    I have the external door handle hardware and would like to install vintage chrome trunk handle and latch. Is there any good options for this or any experience out there fitting an external handle and latch on a 33 HR?
    Did you ever get this done? I am finding that FFRs latch setup is a terrible solution that seems to be impossible to make work. I, too, would lijd a locking handle that was keyed same as door's handles. Help us greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been talking to Drakes about 33 trunk handle, they do not have it at this time, but is in the catalog. Will be looking at using a 33 door handle with 33 latch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speedway has 33 locking trunk handle and latch but will have to make bottom part.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought that the truck latch was impossible, but after the paint was done I decided to remove the lower truck floor that was clecoed in place. Using a good LED light and a wire attached to the latch release I started to attack the problem. I found that I was shipped 2 truck striker brackets, one left hand and one right hand. The right handed bracket was easier due to the adjuster screws on the latch being on the opposite side. It still took me several hours to get the position correct, I found the short striker was better than the longer striker some have talked about. Now the trunk lid closes and opens correctly!

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention it was a lot easier on my Bend Pak lift standing up with my head in the trunk made it easy to see the problem of getting the latch to fit, there is very little room for adjustment, maybe 1/8 of an inch tolerance before you have metal hitting metal. The other issue I had was with the weather seal installed the lower left corner of the trunk would not fit into the opening. I had to remove the weather seal and enlarge the truck opening about a 1/4 inch. After that much effort the truck works correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Don
    I want to have the stock handle so will fab the bottom part to fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a shop in Idaho called Kootenai Valley Customs. They sell several parts to upgrade and solve many of the fitment problems with doors, hood, and trunk lid and more. They bought their own FF 33 and decided to improve on many of the internal moving parts. Check them out they sound like they know what they are doing. I just remembered I have people in Idaho who could check them out and I will follow up on that. Meanwhile you can find them online.

Muggs

Post Thanks / Like
    Kootenai has a lot great stuff. I bought over a thousand dollars worth of hinge bushings, new struts for the hood and trunk and a lot of other stuff. They offer truck reinforcement bars and adjusters to get the profile to stay. Here is a shot of the trunk supports.Trunk Insulation Done.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, Tim is a great guy and has a LOT of excellent upgrades for your 33. He's a bronze supporting member here.
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim is a great source of information, from fab work to finish! He is one of many on both forums willing to take time to help you out if/when you have a question about your build. He has constructed a number of F5 cars as well as other far more complex projects. And as the others have said, his stuff works!