Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Getting a Texas Title and Registration

Post Thanks / Like

Getting a Texas Title and Registration

I know there have been some concerns about getting a Texas Title and Registration. So, here is the current process.
    1. You will need to contact your local Auto Theft Taskforce. These are usually setup so that they cover several counties. Contact your local police department or sheriffs office to find out how to contact the taskforce. They will set up a time to meet and view the vehicle. You have to show that the parts on it are not stolen. Once they confirm that the parts are not stolen, they will give you a signed form.

2. Then you have to go to the TXDOT registration office for the region you live in. You have to show proof of ownership and a photo of the vehicle. You will pay them a few dollars and they will issue a VIN.

3. THEN you have to go to you county tax office to get a Title. At this point expect to pay taxes on the car just as if you were purchasing a car from a person or company. Maybe you will get lucky and not have to pay.

4. Now, you have to get the vehicle inspected as you do annually for all cars. Under the new one sticker rule, the inspector should give you a form to take back to the county tax office.

5. Back at the county tax office, you will now pay for the registration. They will verify that you got it inspected before they will register it and give you plates.

I hope this helps out. I have just gone through this process so...yes in Texas you can still buy a kit and get it registered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info, I should have my kit between July 4 and 18, I'm hoping to have it driveable (no paint) by end of December.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul : I have a vehicle previously registered in Oregon. Do you have any information how this might impact the process listed above as I am now in Texas? I'd like to get Texas plates on her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, I'm getting ready to register a '33, did the inspector have to be certified tech by the state or was it just a regular inspection station? Did you get a certified weight document?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by donshapansky View Post
    Paul, I'm getting ready to register a '33, did the inspector have to be certified tech by the state or was it just a regular inspection station? Did you get a certified weight document?
    The inspection has to be done by a certified ASE mechanic. I found one at a Firestone Tire and Auto center. The weight receipt is supposed to be from a certified scale although I've read some have successfully registered theirs without one. I had mine weighed at the land fill's certified scale for a whopping $3.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester888 View Post
    Paul : I have a vehicle previously registered in Oregon. Do you have any information how this might impact the process listed above as I am now in Texas? I'd like to get Texas plates on her.
    It should be simple to register it here in Texas by taking your Organ title to a Texas DMV. They may require a state trooper inspect the car for VIN and specialty plates may be available depending on how it was registered in Organ. If it's registered as an Replica Assembled Vehicle, no annual inspection is required and it qualifies for special plates.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    With due respect, the OP's post is incorrect on many points. PLEASE do a search on this topic, it has been covered many many times. King's posts are accurate.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.