FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 6t8dart's MKIV build.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark's MKIV FFR 8666 build.

Well, after 10 years of wanting and dreaming, I ordered a MKIV roadster donor kit this week. Luckily I got on the first day of the 20 day sale and got a smoking deal on the kit. FFR gave me a pick up date of July 4, but Stewart told me it will probably be the week after.

Here is a list of all the options I ordered with my kit.
    MKIV Base Kit
    Powder coated frame
    No Body cutouts
    Driver and passenger black roll bars
    J pipes and uncoated pipes (plan to get JetHot coating)
    Uncut dash panel
    Full wiring harness with all completion components
    Big&Tall leather seats
    Heater defroster
    Hood hinge kit
    FFR floor mats
    Leather FFR steering wheel
    Koni rear coilovers

My finishing plans for the car are to paint it either Met Blue or Red with White stripes. I'm leaning towards 18" FR500 wheels. I also plan to get custom Speedhut gauges. For now, that's the plan.
    Last edited by 6t8dart; 07-21-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet, welcome. I'm just starting my build. I took the last aluminum panel off yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finding donor cars is hard, the ones for a descent price sell fast, or people want too much money for too many miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my donor today, it's a 95 GT with an AOD-E, and I think a 3.27:1 rear, I'm towing it because it had a bad coolant leak. The owner just replaced the water pump, but the leak seems to be coming closer to the block, probably a cracked timing cover. And before anyon states the obvious, yes, I wanted an AOD. I had back and leg issues, so I don't like shifting a manual anymore.

Next I am going to power wash the engine bay, then get to pulling the drivetrain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and welcome to the fray ...

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gratz on getting that killer donor deal. I too am planning the donor route, but went with a 5-speed mostly because I intend the car to see some road course track time and that can be hard on an automatic. The 302 OHV has a very stout torque curve and has been around forever. Just a couple of questions on the trans, how does it fit in the chassis tunnel and is it the same length and splines as the T-5?
    Daily Driver 2011 Ford Mustang Convertible
    Donor 1997 Mustang Coupe
    Someday a Type65 Street Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told by FFR that the AOD is the same length and spline as the T5, it's one of the smallest transmissions available,,so it should fit, the only thing is that I need a manual trans driveshaft since the auto has a large damper on the tail shaft end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats buddy, heads up though, I would take Stewart's delivery date with a grain of salt. Their drivers are top notch and they will do a good job but my delivery got pushed back 3 times. Not a huge deal, just kind of frustrating when you're waiting for your dream car to arrive. Also, I would either splurge on a really good condition donor or forgo the donor all together and buy the parts new. I made the mistake of getting a cheap POS and most of it is getting junked. When you see how nice your new kit is, your standards for donor parts will jump up a notch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. I'm just west of Austin (Spicewood). Be picking up my MkIV in August. I also bought a 95 gt donor. As things have evolved I won't be using much of the donor. Engine block and a few brackets, rear end, spindles and brakes. Still worth the purchase though.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    My victim...I didn't have the heart to tell this guy I was going to chop up his baby. DONOR STANG.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to use most of the 95's parts except for the electrical harness and the factory intake manifold, I'll probably swap out the cam, MAF, and TB, and do a freshen up on the heads and block, with new rings, seals, and gaskets. I might have found a deal on a set of GT40X heads locally.

Post Thanks / Like
    This past weekend, I did my "nesting protocol." I cleaned up the garage, got my tools organized, put stuff away for long term storage, and pulled the victim...er I mean 95 Mustang donor into the garage. I think she knew what was coming because I had to replace the negative battery connection because somehow the clamp had broken and would not crank. Next weekend I should start ripping her guts out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have fun ripping apart the donor! I ordered a complete kit, with a "ready" date of June 27. Stewart indicated second week of July, and I'm in suburban Chicago. I'm in R8er's camp - while I can't wait to get started, I'm not sure everything will arrive on my timetable... While I remain cautiously optimistic, I have a feeling that both of us will be waiting a little longer than we'd like! The good new for you: you have more time for the teardown!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, its so true that your plans change ten times before you take delivery, I have called and changed option about 3 times before even taking delivery!

One of the latest changes, after driving the Mustang a few times, I realized that the springs in this car are just flat worn out, and the shocks are gone too...so I ordered the KONI rear coil overs from FFR. I also cancelled to body cut outs, from what I have heard, they are not always right on the mark, so I'll do it myself and save a few coin. And I cancelled the 302 FFR headers, I got a set of BBK Shorties and I plan to run a pair of Cats in the J pipes, to cut down on the noise and smell.

A final note...my fiirst part arrived from FFR! I ordered a set of windwings during their sale, they proudly have a spot on my shelves, waiting for many more parts to join them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fray ... I suggest joining up with the Texas Cobra Club folks who have quite a representation of FFR in your area.
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 6t8dart View Post
    Well, after 10 years of wanting and dreaming, I ordered a MKIV roadster donor kit this week. Luckily I got on the first day of the 20 day sale and got a smoking deal on the kit. FFR gave me a pick up date of July 4, but Stewart told me it will probably be the week after.

Here is a list of all the options I ordered with my kit.
    MKIV Base Kit
    Powder coated frame
    Body cutouts
    Driver and passenger black roll bars
    302 FFR headers and uncoated pipes (plan to get JetHot coating)
    Uncut dash panel
    Full wiring harness with all completion components
    Big&Tall leather seats
    Heater defroster
    Hood hinge kit
    FFR floor mats

My finishing plans for the car are to paint it 2012 Boss Yellow with black stripes. I'm leaning towards 18" FR500 wheels. I also plan to get custom Speedhut gauges, and maybe a flat bottom style racing steering wheel. For now, that's the plan, I'm cleaning the garage now and making room for the new project.
    After reading all the replies to your post about the most sell-able color, are you still going with yellow? Maybe you didn't read all of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still like yellow, but I may lean toward red now, but not blue...too many around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today s**t got real, I went to the bank and drafted a cashiers check for the balance of the roadster. I'll send it out this weekend and then I just have to pay Stewart their $1400.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent half of Father's Day working on ripping out the back end of the Mustang, I got the rear, parking brake cables, control arms, and exhaust out of the car. The only thing left is the fule tank and filter, and wouldn't you know it, it's 3/4 full! I'm going to have to siphon it off 5 gallons at a time and dump it in the wife's car. (My challenger 6.4L only uses 93 octane)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Given your donor is 20 years old, I'd suggest considering buying new or trading in for core:
    Power steering rack
    Master cyiinder
    Brake booster
    brake calipers
    rotors
    radiator
    gas tank
    fuel pump
    fuel sending unit
    wiring harness / engine harness

Much better to work with clean. new parts with a warranty.
    I did all of these on my basic kit before I installed them, except the Master Cylinder, guess what I replaced in the first 500 miles.

Good Luck with the build, they are a lot of fun!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of the brake components will be replaced and I'm running the full FFR harness, so no worries there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I finally sold the bare Mustang body, so the garage is free, now I have to clean up the donor mess, then lay down my floor.

A few hours after I sold the shell, I got a call from the Stewart driver, he says expect him in town next Tuesday! I starting to get excited!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the completion of your donor tear down and delivery confirmation. I also got a call today from Stewart Transport ! Weekend delivery for me ! Still looking for my donor....

Post Thanks / Like
    It's here!

Going over them packing list, I was surprised that so few parts were back ordered, only headlights, door latches, and roll bar grommets. I still need to unpack and do a full inventory, but I'm happy!
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by 6t8dart; 07-21-2015 at 03:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the arrival ! Looks like you had much better weather than we did on Saturday ! Enjoy !

Post Thanks / Like
    Pushing the car half a block in 99F and humid weather lest me so sweat soaked, I couldn't go back to work, had to take shower after. But I'm glad she's home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Plans for the engine is as follows:

Rebuilt 302, .030 over
    Ported and polished 5.0 heads
    E303 cam
    High volume oil pump
    1.7 rockers

Mildly built AOD trans
    1800 stall converter
    B&M hammer shifter
    8.8 rear with 3.27 rear

I have not yet decided what intake to use, not sure if I will go fuel injection, or keep it simple and stick with a performer RPM and a Carb from Forte's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a link to my yellow mk III ..... gives you an idea . Lots say they don't like yellow on here but at the car shows mine seems to draw more attn than the other colours

https://youtu.be/MtKXIscJrLk

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't care for yellow much either until I saw yellow w/ white stripes-WOW-that was nice.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.