Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Factory rear coils

Post Thanks / Like

Factory rear coils

The manual is kind of vague in the installation of factory rear suspension. It says to cut "one coil from the top" of the springs. Factory springs have one tight coil at the top before going into coils that are about 1" apart. Does this mean cut off the one tight coil at the very top or do I need to cut more than that?

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume you are talking about donor mustang springs right? If so Yes, you need to cut "some" of that tight coil. However I would cut as little as possible. Try threading the spring onto the spring spiral and cut just enough to make that work. It's been a long time since I had those springs but I do remember trying to raise the rear of the car some and found there was only about 1/2 a coil left to support the car. that was w/ the springs that the original owner had cut. I ended up getting another pair. With those I didn't cut anything. I just heated that top coil in about three spots to bend it up so it wasn't closed at the end any more.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Thanks for the advice.