FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Camber specs

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like

Camber specs

OK its been 7 years since finished the MK III and time for a wheel alignment and cant remember the setting for camber.
    The tires are starting to show some wear on the inner edges. We have a non donor build with FFR upper and lower control arms. Running 245/45 17"s on the front. The toe and caster appears to be good.

Thanks
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    The common spec is around 1/2 to 3/4 deg negative. But, as you see, that wears the inside edge of the tire more. So you have two choices: 1-zero deg camber, 2- live w/ the wear. #2 is what most do. It works because the avg miles per year is probably 2-3000 so even though wearing unevenly the tires last many years. You can also have the tires flipped on the wheels as long as they aren't asymmetrical treads.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have 1/2 degree negative camber and 9 degrees pos castor with PS. I wouldn't change it at this point. I don't notice any wear after 4200 miles but will have to check with gauge to see if there is uneven wear. If you do any performance driving, I would leave it at 1/2 negative camber. BTW: I left the camber decision to the Firestone guy who did the alignment. He has worked on hundreds of hot rods and several Cobras here in the valley. That's what he did.

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, the first time we trusted the car to a local "HOT ROD" guy and I guess what he did was Good because its been fun driving and took 7 yrs for the wear to show up. The thing is, he now either is to busy or just doesn't care about business anymore. So have to find another local shop.
    We will take him the car with the worn tires so he can see whats going on and then he should be able to make an informed choice based on what settings are on the car.
    Then we will replace the tires. 7 years so they are starting to get to the end of their lifespan. Not for wear but for material.

Thanks
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure that it is set for toe IN, not OUT. Toe out combined with negative camber will cause early inside wear; toe in with negative camber pretty much evens the wear across the entire surface (I run mine and another customer's car with 1.5 negative camber along with 3/32' toe in and do not show inside wear on either (Kumho XS and Nitto NT-01). Caster doesn't play into the tire wear equation.

Jeff

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, [I] know about toe and usually excessive toe out will also cause a feathered edge. In this case no feathering at all. I also know caster does not affect tire wear only handling and steering. This wear has taken 7 years to show. The tires are Sumi's 245/45 17 I just checked tie rods and ball joints and the pivot points on the control arms and all are good. I don't know exact miles on car as speedo was inop for a long time.
    my guess is probably 10K.

Thanks
    Kenny