FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nose Connection to Radiator Frame

Post Thanks / Like

Nose Connection to Radiator Frame

After several weeks of pushing, pulling, trimming, grinding and cussing; I have the front of the body almost where it looks good… OK good enough for a car built in my garage. My problem is that the nose extends beyond the radiator frame that it is supposed to attach to. If I push the nose back to fit, it bind everything up and doesn't work at all. If I were to move the whole body back it would push the hood and fenders into the windshield so I don't think that is the solution. My windshield is all the way back already.

Is anyone else running into this problem? I thought I read somewhere that someone had added a 2 in. piece of aluminum to the radiator frame for the nose to attach to. That would be about the extension I need to make it work. It actually seems to want to sit a little lower that the radiator frame too.

Any help would be appreciated. This is a PITA and by far the most challenging part of the build for me so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...d-thread/page5 I did the same thing using a piece of 2 x 2 x 1/8 AL angle. You need a 20 foot piece for all the custom brackets etc to build and 818
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dan! That would allow me to adjust it perfectly. Or at least as perfectly as I am going to get it.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    I set the front fenders and bumper to center on the wheels.
    For me, that means that the front bumper is right back to the support. I just added an angle tonight to secure it to the support rather than drilling in from the front.
    DSCF4916.jpg
    I had some trouble initially with the windsheild/rear hood and fender points, but after adjusting the windshield up and down, and front to back, I have it perfect.
    DSCF4917.jpgDSCF4918.jpg
    When doing this you also have to have the door in place since the windshield will hit the top of the door if you aren't high enough. I am also trying to keep the center of the hood as high as I can to allow the windshield wiper to fit without a cutout.

good luck.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what I did:

Post Thanks / Like
    After centering the entire body, mine turned out just like Harley's did with the bumper against the front most 3/4" tube and thus only added the angle bracket like others have done
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress