Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: oil cooler location - post yours

Post Thanks / Like

oil cooler location - post yours

Mounting my oil cooler and running the lines is one of the last hurrahs before I can fire the engine.

I'm a bit unsure on where to mount it. I'd like to mount it vertically on the passenger side firewall bar just ahead of the trailing arm. However, I'm not sure where the side scoop lines up on the chassis. I have the side louvers and plan on using Craigs side scoops to increase airflow to the area.

Tips from those with mounted bodies? Or those who have mounted elsewhere?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I toyed around with putting mine near the side scoop but it's very cramped over there. I used this box to approximate the oil cooler size I plan on running (including the fan and shroud). These pics should help you get an idea as to where the side scoops line up.

Instead I decided to run it here, and put fans on the top side of it, pulling cool air from underneath the car and exhausting upward, to be drawn out through the rear vent:

My cooler should arrive later this week so hopefully this weekend I can get to mounting it and plumbing it in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you measure the distance between firewall vertical bar (just forward of trailing arm heim joint) and the body?

I'm looking at your first picture and considering mounting it diagonally between that post and the scoop location.

It looks like the scoop cut out is just to the rear of the firewall post referenced above. But if I mounted diagonally then the cooler seems like it would be in an ideal fresh air location.

I like your idea. But initially I'm going to try it without a fan. Mostly because I already have a setrab 6 series without fan. From what I've found the fan style cooler only comes on the 9 series coolers.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have the rear body on anymore so can't measure, sorry. I'm going to put it back on this weekend probably to fit the air filter so I'll try to get a measurement for you then, or sooner if I get to it one night this week. If I recall though, the measurement you are looking for is somewhere around 5-6".

Regarding the fan, you can add a fan to any cooler. That is what I'm planning on doing. The cooler+shroud+fan kits were too expensive IMHO. I can get a cooler, make my own fan shroud, and buy a SPAL fan for it for less than the kit costs. The shroud won't require any welding. Just make one out of coardboard and then trace it onto some aluminum and bend it up accordingly. Doesn't need to be fancy, just seal off the oil cooler and provide a good 1-2" of space between the fan and the cooler for maximum flow through. www.racerpartswholesale.com offers the fans and the oil coolers separately. I got heavy duty fan relay kit with fuse and holder on Amazon for like $30 but cheap ones can be had for under $10. I got my setrab oil cooler and SPAL fan from racerpartswholesale.

Fan adds complexity and cost. I would prefer to do without. I just didn't think I could get the kind of flow I needed through it from the side vent without a lot of intricate fab work that completely boxes the cooler off and seals it against the intake vent. Just having it in the vicinity of the scoop isn't going to be enough in my opinion, but I hope someone proves me wrong!

Post Thanks / Like
    I probably won't be working on it until Friday but I'll appreciate those measurements whenever you're able to get them.

I didn't realize that spal sold fans small enough for our oil coolers. Definitely something to consider now that I know that. Thanks for sharing that.

Anybody else have any input? Chad and Hindsight can't be the only ones adding oil coolers other than myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    I probably won't be working on it until Friday but I'll appreciate those measurements whenever you're able to get them.
    I didn't realize that spal sold fans small enough for our oil coolers. Definitely something to consider now that I know that. Thanks for sharing that.
    Anybody else have any input? Chad and Hindsight can't be the only ones adding oil coolers other than myself.
    I'll add this even though I don't have an oil cooler yet.
    I do not want to heat up any air entering the engine compartment. So, I would put it on the back bumper blowing the hot air out the back.

One thing I am considering is to use an awic type heat exchanger and pumping the fluid through the stock Subaru oil filter mounted exchanger. Only turning the pump on after the engine reaches temperature. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    I do not want to heat up any air entering the engine compartment.
    I had the same thought Bob, and that's part of why I went with the rear-lower mount. The hot air from the cooler will be in the very back of the engine compartment and should get drawn out through the rear vents before it has a chance to contribute to heating of the engine components. That's the theory anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 05-28-2015 at 12:35 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you able to get a top down shot of yours? That would give me a better idea of how to orient mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you able to get a top down shot of yours? That would give me a better idea of how to orient mine.
    I added the other pics I have
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    My .02 cents from my oil cooler experience.

1. You guys are probably going to need a bigger cooler for consistent track duty (10+min of flogging in 80 degree weather).
    2. If you use that small one that I originally started with, I really don't think it will be able to keep up where ever you put it. I thought it would be fine, but it wasn't. I then doubled the size the oil cooler, made a box, fed air through vents- still did not work for me.

I will be running two coolers- One in the rear and one in the front. I'll be installing it this weekend.

I think some people lost their motors because of the lack of the dry sump, and not having an oil cooler (or a oil temp gauge)- If I did not have a gauge, my motor would of surely blown up with extremely high oil temps on the track.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 05-28-2015 at 05:15 PM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/c...eat_Exchangers

I was thinking of running one of these... I would definitely recommend a Ron Davis or similar radiator to go along with it. You could plumb it in right before the coolant enters the engine (right before the thermostat housing) to keep the coolest coolant temps...
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C.Plavan;199645]My .02 cents from my oil cooler experience.

1. You guys are probably going to need a bigger cooler for consistent track duty (10+min of flogging in 80 degree weather).
    2. If you use that small one that I originally started with, I really don't think it will be able to keep up where ever you put it. I thought it would be fine, but it wasn't. I then doubled the size the oil cooler, made a box, fed air through vents- still did not work for me.

I will be running two coolers- One in the rear and one in the front. I'll be installing it this weekend.

I think some people lost their motors because of the lack of the dry sump, and not having an oil cooler (or a oil temp gauge)- If I did not have a gauge, my motor would of surely blown up with extremely high oil temps on the track.[/QUOTE

I wonder if two oil coolers could be put in the location that Erik Treves used for his awic radiators for his 818 build?
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Thread/page12
    Attached Images Attached Images

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got some garage time tonight to fit my air filter and practice some welding. Took some measurements for you. Pics below.

Chad's experience is what drove me to running a BIG oil cooler, with two fans, and not trying to let natural airflow from the side scoops feed it. It didn't work for him so I didn't think it would work for me either. I think one big cooler in the back with dual fans should do the trick but we shall see.

Chad, your oil system is going to take 20 quarts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the additional pictures. I think I'll need to have some square tubing welded on like Tony did above.

Going to bite the bullet and purchase the bigger cooler with built in fans. If I'm creating mounts for it then I'd rather get the right cooler for it on the first shot. Plus having to baby it at the track to let the oil cool off isn't any fun, like Chad said.

I do have oil temp/coolant temp gauges in addition to boost and oil pressure. Vital if you're tracking the car IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just put my order through. I stuck with 6 series cooler so that I can use the mounting brackets I've already purchased as well as the fittings I was planning on using.

Now that I have the fan/fan shroud set up, do I need the relay accessory as well? I plan on having the fan on a switch so that I can turn it on when appropriate vs street driving. The installation instructions just say a relay is available but otherwise just recommends wiring to switched 12v source.

Chad or anyone else - Interested in the 13 row 6 series cooler I have? Never installed or used. If you're not planning on tracking then this could be used to keep everything happy without a fan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just put my order through. I stuck with 6 series cooler so that I can use the mounting brackets I've already purchased as well as the fittings I was planning on using.

Now that I have the fan/fan shroud set up, do I need the relay accessory as well? I plan on having the fan on a switch so that I can turn it on when appropriate vs street driving. The installation instructions just say a relay is available but otherwise just recommends wiring to switched 12v source.

Chad or anyone else - Interested in the 13 row 6 series cooler I have? Never installed or used. If you're not planning on tracking then this could be used to keep everything happy without a fan.
    I have bought 3 oil coolers for the 818R- so I'm good. I plan on using the smaller one with fan for a trans cooler.

I have the dual fan version Setrab cooler in the back box. For the front, I bought a 19 row Setrab series 6 (without fan- not needed in the front). I have a ABS formed duct that surrounds the 19 row, that has two 3" hose attachments (trick setup). The 3" hose will go to the front passenger side bumper with a cut out.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    I am planning on a water/oil heat exchanger, they have worked well for me in the past and being compact is a plus. It will be 6 months before I will know the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I'm working on right now (Front oil cooler wise). Everything is going as planned. I'm going to run the oil lines through the passenger door- It's too cramped with AWIC and Coolant lines in the normal run. 3" hose will connect the two bumper feeds to the oil cooler duct.

I was going to use a different duct (sharpie out line). However, these will work better with the contour of the bumper.
    Thanks- Chad

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Are you going to run louvers or something over the back of that oil cooler to protect against rocks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Nice! Are you going to run louvers or something over the back of that oil cooler to protect against rocks?
    Yes, A little mesh will do the trick. The only area that would get hit by rocks/ tire slag is the outer 2". You can see the marks on the aluminum. The inside is clean.
    Thanks- Chad

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait to see yours installed. I should have mine in within the next couple of weeks as well. I went with -12 AN line. Stuff is HUGE! The hose-ends look like they should be going on a Rolls Royce Merlin.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    -10AN is plenty big for the oil cooler line
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Chad, should definitely solve your heat issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    -10 would work. But I'm a Porsche oil cooled guy and had a ton of -12 lying around.
    Thanks- Chad