Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Norcal Newbie Searching for a good project

Post Thanks / Like

Norcal Newbie Searching for a good project

Hey Gang,
    Norcal Newbie just getting 'my feet wet' transitioning from boat projects to car projects LOL!!!! I have my eye on a few MkIII's that are in various stages - One is an Arizona titled and licensed car as a 1966 - current owner let the registration laps from 2011 and I was wondering what 'challenges' I would face registering it here in California? - Next car is a theft recovery - no body parts, just a MkIII frame, running gear, short block and tranny, would be sold as a salvage title - it had California registration and a California license again 2011 tags
    Any recommendations or advise would be GREATLY appreciated - it's a 'father-son' project and we're on a pretty tight budget
    Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    First, welcome to the forum. I do not have any experience registering a car from another state, but I know that it can be done. Do you know if the second one was registered using the specialty vehicle process?
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick response and welcome!! The second one has a regular California license plate with Sept. 2011 tags on it....wondering if I'd still have to go through the SB100 route or????

Post Thanks / Like
    You are still issued regular California plates when using the SB100, so that would not be an indicator. I would ask the seller or ask to see the title, it will say "SPCNS" on it and if it does you can eliminate any smog requirements. I would check with the DMV to find out what steps are required to bring a salvage vehicle back.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you set on getting an MKIII/IV? If not, I know a guy in Norcal that's parting with an 818S.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again for the quick replies guys - I really appreciate it!! The seller of the Salvaged Theft MkIII is kind of a 'moving target' I have yet to meet with him to review just what paperwork he has available, however I did see the car and it's got some 'good bones' for my project! I'm thinking that if it is sold with a 'Salvage Title' and bill of sale - that I'll go the SB100 route to ensure I get the SPCN designator. (fingers crossed). LOL!

JeromeS13 thanks for the potential lead.....ya' I'm kinda mentally stuck on the MK format!

I'll try to update next week on any progress -

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    The salvage cobra you mention ,is it the one on eBay for 10,000? If so stay away .The block and heads are just setting on top of each other. It was a burn that they saved the frame and a few parts. http://ww2.copart.com/us/Lot/19220355 c Both are same car. On ffcars there is a thread on this car http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replica-Kit-...m=301642257215
    Last edited by stevo7896; 05-29-2015 at 02:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update stevo7896! Yup that's the car - I looked at it yesterday and the frame and running gear looked fine - not interested in that motor as I have a lead on fresh 5.0. any idea what the true value would be for this car? Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    From the feedback on the other site ,most have said about half the asking price.Once you get the body and all other parts ,it will add up quick .Plus that motor looks like a core at best. It will be a job to figure all parts needed . If you look on here and on the other site ,you can check the classifieds and find some real deals. Some are steals. Sent you a pm also
    Last edited by stevo7896; 05-30-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK Good info....what other sites would you recommend searching for a project to complete car for sale?